Thread: Sunday August 20 Thread

Sunday August 20 Thread

I'm excited to see my son today. He's been in California working all summer and is back in Tennessee. He's finishing up his MBA in Nashville, but it looks like he'll be moving to California in May, so I've got to love every minute I get with him. I imagine I'll now have a reason to travel out West a couple of times a year now.

Otherwise, I plan to get some guitar playing in today. I've only played once this week, for just a few minutes. Needed a little break.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Sunday August 20 Thread

Looks like a beautiful day here! We've got a surprising amount of leaves on the ground for August. It's been cool here until yesterday.
    I think we'll go to the flea market. A food truck that I like is supposed to be there. Then I'll practice for an up coming gig.

Forum Member

What do people buy fleas for? Do they have circuses? Weird. I'm gonna go clean out one of my storage sheds this morning so I don't have to pay another month on it.

Congratulations to your son, CW. May he stay safe throughout his travels.

Something tells me that I too would enjoy the culinary offerings of the aforementioned meal on wheels, Don.

I firmly believe that fleas are only marketable as circus acts. Warner Brothers taught me that.

*** Here's hoping that we can all find a little bit of serenity and satisfaction today, in an otherwise tumultuous world.

It should be a fairly nice day here on the shore of Lake Michigan so we're taking the wife's Corvette out for a breakfast run and maybe spend the rest of the day learning some tunes for this week's gig.

ooo, flea market. good idea. a beautiful day here. yesterday became rather toasty after a very rainy Friday. I've been on a roll this week. Picked up a miter saw and table on CL it was only 13 minutes from my house practically brand new and for less than the saw alone would have cost new after buying a blade for it. Then I went to Harbor Freight and bought a bunch of stuff speed square, clamps (lots of them you can't have too many) drill bits, gloves, 50" edge guard, 18 volt drill driver and lamp set. next month will be material for the garage project maybe even the workbench itself.

My neighbor of 52 years had a lousy week. After a minor car accident he developed weakness in his right leg. He ended up in the hospital where they couldn't save the leg and had to amputate it above the knee. His kids are gathering to figure out what's the next step for this WWII vet (so you know he's probably at least 90). He had always said he didn't want to go into a nursing home and wanted to be taken out of the house feet first like his dad. He used to be our milk man back when we first moved here, anybody else old enough to remember having milk delivered to their houses?

Since I've pretty much accomplished as much as I can for now today I think will be guitar playing day.

Always so envious of Laker's pics. The Vette is nice but that view of the lake is simply Heavenly.

I hope that Dan's neighbor has the support and healthcare that he needs. That's got to be a tough situation for his family and for him.

And yep... I do remember the dairy truck making it's rounds. My sister and I absolutely loved hearing it coming up the driveway. I don't believe that the milk was in glass bottles at that time ( early 70's) but I don't think that anything tasted quite so delicious on a summer day as those frozen treats ( with exception to my father's homemade peach ice-cream that we churned on the back-porch). I want to say that the the company was Meadow Gold. Quick google search confirms it. I'll never forget that logo on the sides of the trucks.

Happy Sunday to you all. Picked up a Soul Food OD pedal last week along with a TC Flashback II and HOF II so hopefully I'll have some time to jam with the new effects after work tonight. New guitar will be here Tues barring any issues with delivery, so excited about that. Rock on fellas.

yep. glass bottles and you put your empties out. that milk box got a little smelling in summer sometimes. just gave me an idea to check online, turns out that there are still some made today. lots of vintage ones on ebay, of course. I should find out what the name of our dairy was.

HPD - what's in the mail?

Good morning everyone.

Normal thing here, Sunday man chores.

The heat index will be over 110 again today so I'll just concentrate on vacuuming, mopping, and laundry.

Its about this time every Sunday I start to think about how fast Monday is approaching.

Enjoy your family, food trucks, car rides, and guitar playing.

HPD, what's in the mail?

Be well everyone.

Last edited by CoyotesGator; 08-20-2017 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Spellerings, darn spellerings!
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

I hope everyone's having a great day!

We went to the Providence Flea. Like most things around here, it's small, but it's not your typical flea market. It's more like a small craft fair. There are more hand made things and small antiques being sold rather than cheap knockoff stuff. That might be due to the fact that the Rhode Island School of Design is withing walking distance.

A food truck called O'Crepe was there so I had my favorite crepe. Later, I dropped the top on the Miata and went to a farmer's market (a very tiny farmer's market!) down the road from me, bought some awesome looking corn, and hit another good food truck. This on had bbq and I bought some ribs.

I'm full!
    Last edited by Don; 08-20-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Today I started ripping apart the Man-cave. I've collected too much junk in there and there is no room to play. I'm thinking about replacing my old AR speakers after 37 years. I'm looking at JBL LSR-308 studio monitors with the LSR 310 subwoofer. They sound pretty good and I like the dual role they can play. In order to capitalize on their strengths I need to do some serious rearranging. Luckily I start my two-week vacation today and have plenty of time to do this plus clean out the garage. Also planning on spending a couple days in Charllie Karp's studio working on another song. If it doesn't get too hot I'll also get in some fishing!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I had to work today, so it was just a routine Sunday for me. But yesterday, with gorgeous weather and it being World Photography Day, I took a day trip to West Virginia's Blackwater Falls. Six hours in my car to land a handful of photos. Go figure.

Wow OS, that's beautiful!
    What happend?

CG- I feel you on the heat. I honestly have been steering clear of the weather forecast over the past couple weeks because it's simply depressing. Daytime highs here are I'm sure, up in the triple digits. Aside from early am/ late pm, going outside has become absolutely dreadful.

OS- That's absolutely gorgeous! I dabble a bit and it's ironic too because I was thinking the other day about starting a photography thread on TFF. I figured that any and all pictures should be welcomed... regardless of resolution, format, subject-matter, etc. Not sure if there might've already been a photography thread here but even so, there was so much lost after the PB fail that I figured a fresh pic-thread might be warranted.

So... I wasn't even going to post about the new acquisition because it's pointy lol. The last 6-string V that I had was when I was about 15 yrs old. Since that time, I've had plenty of guitars but never another V. So with "the waxing nostalgia defense" out of the way lol... this particular axe caught my eye and surprisingly had everything that I want or think that I want. I play mostly rock, jazz, and blues but there's no law against playing Zappa or Santana on a V and at this point, I actually consider this to be a classic/ old school look. Okay... if anyone is still interested:

Jackson King V
    Snow White gloss finish
    Bound ebony board
    24 fret/ 12"-16" compound radius
    One piece maple thru neck
    Bound mahogany body
    Passive SD '59/ JB combo
    Chrome TOM and hardware

SO excited about this one! I plan to replace the speed-knobs with chrome-dome knobs, the die-cast tuners for Sperzel locking tuners, and the cream-colored switch tip to white. I may also replace the SD pickups if the guitar suits me but the pups do not. I'll just have to see how they sound but regardless.. I'm genuinely excited about this one!

Have a good night, y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I had to work today, so it was just a routine Sunday for me. But yesterday, with gorgeous weather and it being World Photography Day, I took a day trip to West Virginia's Blackwater Falls. Six hours in my car to land a handful of photos. Go figure.

We go to a place in Cape Breton Nova Scotia that reminds me of this. Great pic!

Thanks, Don, CG and HPD. So, I wonder with some irony after your comments on photos why you didn't post of photo of your new Flying V?

I don't have the V yet. It will be here tomorrow. But I honestly never thought much about posting pics of it here. I mean if it was a vintage Gibson Flying V, that would be different lol but this one is certainly nothing special.

Dude, it's a guitar; it's a V--of course we want to see it!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Haha Awesome!.. because my friends and fiancee can only take so much lol. I'll be sure to post a couple pics pending how the honeymoon goes!

I want to get an epiphone V because the ibeenhads are into stupid collector's price territory and the gibbys are just plain nuts to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Dude, it's a guitar; it's a V--of course we want to see it!
    My name is Gator and I endorse this statement!
    What happend?

Glad everyone had a good Sunday! Just getting back from lake country myself but had a good weeklong stretch with four gigs in two bands.

highlight was this past Saturday at an annual Barn Party/campout on my buddy's ranch in sticks. he and his brother converted a century old hay barn into a peformance/party space. It is epic! Dedicated PA and light, bar with taps, games room. You name it. There were a few hundred people there at the peak. Nearby cottagers came in on a tractor drawn hay wagon!

Here's me with the hard rock band in the middle of our set at about 1am!

And then a little downtime the next day!