Thread: Well - that went well... (or not)...

Well - that went well... (or not)...

Mrs. Junkie spent 5 weeks between detox and rehab - only took her three weeks to start drinking again... THIS SUCKS!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: Well - that went well... (or not)...

Sorry Nick.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Man, I'm so sorry. Would a separation shock her into straightening up? I have no experience with being in a relationship with an alcoholic, so I am really asking, not suggesting.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I threaten it all the time - just find it difficult to actually do it.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I don't have any credibility on this forum so take thsi for what it's worth, but I will say with complete conviction that you yourself must look in the mirror and try to determine what it is that YOU want and need. This is taking it's toll on you as well as her and if you are in this relationship for the long haul then ultimately it's going to require outside intervention for the both of you. I recommend ( if you are to stay with her, help her, and keep your sanity) that you both ( or even just you) find someone that specializes in marital counseling and/ or counseling of spouses/ family members affected by a loved ones addiction... like Alanon or something along those lines. Good luck to you both.

Quote Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter View Post
    I don't have any credibility on this forum so take thsi for what it's worth, but I will say with complete conviction that you yourself must look in the mirror and try to determine what it is that YOU want and need. This is taking it's toll on you as well as her and if you are in this relationship for the long haul then ultimately it's going to require outside intervention for the both of you. I recommend ( if you are to stay with her, help her, and keep your sanity) that you both ( or even just you) find someone that specializes in marital counseling and/ or counseling of spouses/ family members affected by a loved ones addiction... like Alanon or something along those lines. Good luck to you both.
    That's good advice. But HPD, don't think you have no credibility here. Many of us are glad you're here. You bring with you enthusiasm for the guitars and music we all love.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Damn.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    That's good advice. But HPD, don't think you have no credibility here. Many of us are glad you're here. You bring with you enthusiasm for the guitars and music we all love.
    Man... Thank you. I haven't been here too long so... idk. I much appreciate the kind words.

I just really hope, however it happens... that OP finds some solace. I've been pretty negatively affected by alcoholism in my own family and I don't like seeing people in these kinds of situations... as the addict or as the one that's trying to help. It can be so difficult and emotionally draining.

My thoughts go out to you, GJ. You have my support.

Thanks everybody. It has been a long terrible road...

I know the struggle all too well with my own demons. But like HPD said YOU have to do what's good for YOU.. YOU can not change her or anyone else for that matter YOU can only change YOU..

Sorry to read that she has went back on that road..

sorry to hear that.

I've dealt with family and drinking problems but never a spouse. I can't imagine how awful it must be. Do try to get some help with this, you can't do it alone.

She was taking Antabuse while she drank - made her pretty sick. I suspect she won't do THAT again!

Sorry, man. My heart goes out to you.

It's been said that for alcoholics, relapse is expected. It's just not REQUIRED.

In order for one to enter recovery, two things have to happen:

1) The pain of drinking has to become worse than the pain of living. That's called "hitting bottom."
    2) The alcoholic has to accept the fact that not drinking is a LIFETIME proposition. One day at a time.

As others have said, you didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it. You can only do what's best for YOU.

I hope you will continue to come here. We are all in support of you. And your love of guitar.

I'm really sorry to hear that.

Count me in as another who would like to give you both support.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Thanks everybody - we'll keep on keepin' on!

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Thanks everybody - we'll keep on keepin' on!
    That's the way to deal with it, man!

Nick -
    your a strong man, and one of my Hero's.

You know I get this right? All of my best to you my friend!

KB >:^{I)>
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Sorry to hear this GJ, that really blows. Best of luck to you both.

What support there is after rehab?
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
    Sorry to hear this GJ, that really blows. Best of luck to you both.

What support there is after rehab?

She has counseling weekly plus a group session plus AA and meet with her sponsor quite a bit. Plus a psychiatrist and a psychologist. apparently, not enough.

Don't ever make fun of friendships formed through the Interweb. I count some of you guys as some of my best friends.

Just some of us?
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Don't ever make fun of friendships formed through the Interweb. I count some of you guys as some of my best friends.

Oh, some of my best friends are people I met online. And some of those are forum buddies. Friendship is friendship, regardless of how many miles away you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Oh, some of my best friends are people I met online. And some of those are forum buddies. Friendship is friendship, regardless of how many miles away you are.

Amen.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

True. I've made real life friendships that started online... as well as some that I feel are true friendships even though they remain online.

Support, brother!

Quote Originally Posted by concert410 View Post
    Just some of us?
    I don't know you yet... but there's time!

I have met with GJ at least a dozen or two times. I have met FrankJohnson once and OSA several times at different jams. Talk about "good times"!

We all have a common interest which allows us to talk about stuff other people are not interested in.

Every time my son starts talking about video games or animation, I try to remember this. He is a animation nerd I am a guitar nerd. He and 99.9% of the world could care less about the tonal differences between Teles and Strats.

This common interest allows us to communicate in a more comfortable way where we don't engage in lots of "small talk" to be polite.

While we communicate online it is easier for many of us to be civil and friendly to one another in a way that may not be possible if we hung out in real life. Just like being online allows some people to be assholes because of the anonymity online forums offer.

I have met with GJ at least a dozen or two times. I have met FrankJohnson once and OSA several times at different jams. Talk about "good times"!

We all have a common interest which allows us to talk about stuff other people are not interested in.

Every time my son starts talking about video games or animation, I try to remember this. He is a animation nerd I am a guitar nerd. He and 99.9% of the world could care less about the tonal differences between Teles and Strats.

This common interest allows us to communicate in a more comfortable way where we don't engage in lots of "small talk" to be polite.

While we communicate online it is easier for many of us to be civil and friendly to one another in a way that may not be possible if we hung out in real life. Just like being online allows some people to be assholes because of the anonymity online forums offer.
    ... and made music together... Frank - meeting you and getting to know you is definitely one great byproduct of these forums...

... and made music together... Frank - meeting you and getting to know you is definitely one great byproduct of these forums...

You got that right!!!

We had some great times for sure!! Now that my children are getting older I am looking forward to restarting a social life outside of band related activities.

You got that right!!!

We had some great times for sure!! Now that my children are getting older I am looking forward to restarting a social life outside of band related activities.
    I'm getting the man-cave back in shape - you need to come by!

Nice!!