Thread: Photobucket fail--Where now?

Photobucket fail--Where now?

Since Photobucket is charging now, where do we go for free photo hosting?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Photobucket fail--Where now?

postimage.org seems to be okay but it will only allow pictures... not videos. Free to use and very easy to navigate.

For those that use gmail, the Google Photos option seems a safe and easy way to go.

Dreamhost I believe charges $10 a month so that's no good although it supposedly has some nice features.

MyCloud also has some cool features apparently but subscription is $300 so...ugh.

If you access forums from your phone then Tapatalk provides hosting for free, I believe.

Anyway.. That's all I've got for now.

I'd forgotten that I can use google.

I do have copies of most of my pics that were on pb, but man, what an inconvenience it is, and how terrible for our forum. All those pics are gone.

I think we'll see the total end of free pic hosting one day. I need to back up all of my photos from my Mac onto a hard drive. A lot of them already are on an external hard drive. Many newer ones are on FB, and who knows but that facebook won't one day delete all of our photos.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I 100% agree that we are likely going to reach an end with free image hosting at some point. But at least until that day comes, I'll be damned if I'm going to pay PB hundreds of dollars annually so that I can share my pics. The issue here is a combination of bandwidth and making money. That's what it all boils down to... or in other words: supply and demand... just as things have always been. Net-neutrality is another topic that I'm keeping my eye on lately and honestly, all of these kinds of things are only going to get worse for the non-paying/ non-subscribed public as more and more people utilize the services and opportunities that the internet provides.

But yep... back on track: Google Photos should be a good one to use for now.

I use Flickr, which until Verizon decides it wants to monetize it (Verizon bought Yahoo!, who owned Flickr) is free. I also have an account on SmugMug, but it isn't free. I also have my own domain/server, which I use from time to time, but I'd rather not have it clobbered by visits to images...

I have no words to describe how pissed off I am.

I loved PB and kept albums there that pretty much were a diary of my musical life. I wouldn't mind paying if the price wasn't so high.

Right now, I'm downloading all my albums and will probably go Flickr too.

Forum Member

I was totally pizzed when I came back from the mountains and found this out. I mean really pizzed. Many years of joking around and posting on this and a few other forums now make no sense if you go back and read them because the pictures are gone.

For those of you switching here is some food for thought.

The advantage of Photobucket was YOU had control of the output. If someone noticed your phone bill laying in the picture or your address on a letter you simply deleted the photo and reposted it. Fixed.

If a site turned nasty (who hasn't had that happen at least once?) you could rename or remove the photos and blank them using your content.

I bring these things up because if you download directly to a site you lose the control.

thanks, that is a good point about the downloading directly to the website