Thread: Foo Fighters - Now that's craftsmanship!

Foo Fighters - Now that's craftsmanship!

We've added some Foo Fighters to the repertoire. Interesting stuff. When you think of a pop guitar-hook band you don't usually expect weird time signatures and unusual voicings, but it turns out these guys are real craftsmen. Take Times Like These. I've heard other bands do it but it never sounded right. We added it recently and it was a bit of work. The way it switches from 7 to 8 on the intro for example. The during the guitar solo there are 8 bars in 7 followed buy 4 bars in 8! It's a typical 12 bar solo but changes timing 3/4 ways through it. Genius, and a ton of fun to play. Hysterical to watch the dancers trying to keep up. Some of the chord voicings are pretty hip too, coming right out of a jazzbo's toolkit. These guys had some schooling somewhere.

Fun stuff, if you want a fun change of scene try some of it. Better have a good drummer though!

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Re: Foo Fighters - Now that's craftsmanship!

Those guys are amazing. I get in a mood to listen to them only occasionally, but I respect their musicianship. Only once you listen hard to or start to play their stuff do you realize how complex their songs are. It takes a lot of talent to put out that kind of stuff and to be wildly popular among guys and girls alike. Both Dave and Taylor are incredible drummers, and they drive that band. Dave's not a shabby guitarist, and the way he writes is always interesting.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison