Thread: Ok, now a silly - but interesting - question

Ok, now a silly - but interesting - question

I was listening to some George Harrison stuff, I mean Beatles and post-Beatles music, and that got me thinking.

Harrison was a pretty fine and delicate riffmaker, his signature licks are more "beautiful" than "punchy", and he never seemed (at least to me) to be quite the improvise genius.

We know that there are basically two kinds of guitar players: the ones that learn/create a song and perform it live, sith slight minor changes, and the ones that are more free, they know their modes, they know the instrument, and they riff and solo ad libitum each time they step on a stage.

What do you guys think was Harrison's ability? Do you see him more as a composer or just a player that didn't shred or solo much live because he wasn't that talented in this particular aspect?

Let's put my question in an example: Do you think Harrison could solo like Mick Taylor, if he wanted to?

Re: Ok, now a silly - but interesting - question

From what I've read in Lewisohn's bio, Harrison had trouble when it came to improvising leads in a live setting. He worked hard at playing what he could--learned entire albums by Chet Atkins and others, so he was by no means a shabby player.

In the studio, it didn't take him a long time to come up with those incredible guitar parts that he wrote for the songs, so again, not a shabby player. I don't think he was as fluent nor as expansive as someone like Mick Taylor, but he had taste, and like his bandmate Ringo, his parts suited the songs and beautifully so, originally so.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

As always I'm looking forward to reading Willie's opinion

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    From what I've read in Lewisohn's bio, Harrison had trouble when it came to improvising leads in a live setting. He worked hard at playing what he could--learned entire albums by Chet Atkins and others, so he was by no means a shabby player.

In the studio, it didn't take him a long time to come up with those incredible guitar parts that he wrote for the songs, so again, not a shabby player. I don't think he was as fluent nor as expansive as someone like Mick Taylor, but he had taste, and like his bandmate Ringo, his parts suited the songs and beautifully so, originally so.

Wow, that was FAST!

his solo in "Something" floors me every time I hear it

While not an improviser, I think his guitar work is truly genius! He's one of those guys who plays for the song, not to show off or try and draw attention to himself. That's more interesting to me than some guy "blowing over changes", that's what they always called it in the jazz bands I played in. I know a lot of guys really like that, but honestly it bores the hell out of me. Now, I'm not saying that I don't like killer guitar solos, I actually do. But I'm more turned on by a well written song or part. Doesn't matter if it's written beforehand or improvised, I just find most solos boring because it seems like most guys are just trying to show off.

To me Harrison is one of those guys who's SO good that you forget how good he actually is. IDK if he was shy, or something, but he always sounds like he's playing tastefully restraint. Normally, that's a criticism but I don't mean it in that way. Tasty, toneful, TUNEFUL, and refined. Kinda like the old joke that Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles... :P But what he did play was perfect for the song! Same goes for Wyman making Keef play the bass line on Miss You, Keef was teaching it to Wyman and Bill told him to just go ahead and record the part. I really do think being a good musician is sometimes letting go of your ego. It's about trust, and making something bigger than yourself, and knowing how to be part of a team.

I guess all my rambling to say this, George Harrison is like 10X the musician I aspire to be.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

cool, I learned something (no, not the song ) today. I didn't know that about Miss You by the Stones.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    his solo in "Something" floors me every time I hear it
    One of the first leads I ever taught myself and when I play it, I play it with more feeling than with anything else I've ever learned.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Chucko, you said it brilliantly. I feel the same way about his playing.
    Last edited by ch willie; 07-11-2017 at 05:42 AM.

cool, I learned something (no, not the song ) today. I didn't know that about Miss You by the Stones.
    Keef played bass on quite a few of the Stones songs, from what I understand Wyman was all for it. I feel like I'm a better musician when I keep my ego in check. Not saying there's not a time and place for arguing over parts or songs, merely saying that I do my best to serve the music and not get mad at the band if they don't like one of my ideas.

And thanks CH Willie! I've got MAD respect for everyone in The Beatles, SO MUCH good stuff to learn from them. Which reminds me, I need to go back and listen to Help, Rubber Soul and Revolver. Those are my favorite albums, they went "Nerd Rock" there for a bit. I grew up loving 90's Alternative and have always been fascinated with fuzz bass and catchy jangly songs.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post

^^^^ - This

I never considered The Beatles as a jam band. In fact, the only jam I can recall was actually on Harrison's All Things Must Pass triple album, where the third disc consisted of "Apple Jam," a set of songs based on rudimentary chord changes and featuring noted musicians Eric Clapton, Jim Gordon, Ginger Baker, Dave Mason, Carl Radle, Bobby Keys, Bobby Whitlock, and others. Harrison's playing on these is clean, but hardly notable for its improvisational brilliance.

If I had to compare myself to Harrison (and truthfully, there is no comparison), I'd say my playing style is much like his: I work on getting leads down and pretty much stick to them. My improvisational skills embarrass me, as all my "improvs" sound alike to me.

OS,

There are a few Beatles jams on the Anthology series and on bootlegs--none very impressive. Their strength was in the song, and Harrison's solo and Beatles work shows just how great he was at writing leads and rhythm that made those songs soar.

I was listening to Sgt. Pepper yesterday, listening especially for George and John's guitar work. With a Little Help--understated but just damned brilliant guitars.

Btw I just came across this:

https://holybeeofephesus.wordpress.c...orge-harrison/

Worth a read.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Btw I just came across this:

https://holybeeofephesus.wordpress.c...orge-harrison/

Worth a read.
    Very.

I'm not quite sure where my musical tastes were in the 1980s (well heck, since this is a mostly-anonymous forum, I'm not quite sure where my HEAD was during the 1980s). I confess that I never even HEARD of some of the albums and songs mentioned in this article.

A good read. Clearly not objective, but quite well thought out and presented.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Very.

I'm not quite sure where my musical tastes were in the 1980s (well heck, since this is a mostly-anonymous forum, I'm not quite sure where my HEAD was during the 1980s). I confess that I never even HEARD of some of the albums and songs mentioned in this article.

A good read. Clearly not objective, but quite well thought out and presented.

Oh, you would be amazed if you took some time to listen to the Beatles' B sides. Lots of genuine rock n roll there, just not pop enough for girls to screech and radios to make so much money.

btw, Willie:

you once opened a thread about how the Beatles (hard) rocked. If you'd put together a playlist of straight forward, rocking songs by the Beatles, with plenty of guitar and Lennon's roars, what would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    btw, Willie:

you once opened a thread about how the Beatles (hard) rocked. If you'd put together a playlist of straight forward, rocking songs by the Beatles, with plenty of guitar and Lennon's roars, what would it be?
    In about 76, Capitol put out a Beatles album called Rock and Roll Music. I think it was an excellent compilation. I've pasted the track listing below.

I would add "Yer Blues" and "Glass Onion" from The Beatles (White Album) and "I Dig a Pony" from Let It Be--as far as Lennon goes / Mcartney rockers: "Why Don't We Do It in the Road" from the White Album and "I've Got a Feeling" from Let it Be. George's "Savoy Truffle" from The White Album is another, very underrated rock and roller.

Track listing[edit]
    Side one
    No. Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Twist and Shout" Phil Medley, Bert Russell 2:31
    2. "I Saw Her Standing There" John Lennon and Paul McCartney 2:56
    3. "You Can't Do That" Lennon and McCartney 2:38
    4. "I Wanna Be Your Man" Lennon and McCartney 1:59
    5. "I Call Your Name" Lennon and McCartney 2:09
    6. "Boys" Luther Dixon, Wes Farrell 2:28
    7. "Long Tall Sally" Enotris Johnson, Richard Penniman, Robert Blackwell 2:00
    Side two
    1. "Rock and Roll Music" Chuck Berry 2:30
    2. "Slow Down" Larry Williams 2:54
    3. "Kansas City" / "Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey" (medley) Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, Richard Penniman 2:35
    4. "Money (That's What I Want)" Janie Bradford, Berry Gordy 2:47
    5. "Bad Boy" Williams 2:20
    6. "Matchbox" Carl Perkins 1:59
    7. "Roll Over Beethoven" Berry 2:44
    Side three
    1. "Dizzy, Miss Lizzy" Williams 2:53
    2. "Any Time at All" Lennon and McCartney 2:13
    3. "Drive My Car" Lennon and McCartney 2:29
    4. "Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby" Perkins 2:26
    5. "The Night Before" Lennon and McCartney 2:37
    6. "I'm Down" Lennon and McCartney 2:32
    7. "Revolution" Lennon and McCartney 3:25
    Side four
    1. "Back in the U.S.S.R." Lennon and McCartney 2:44
    2. "Helter Skelter" Lennon and McCartney 4:30
    3. "Taxman" George Harrison 2:39
    4. "Got to Get You into My Life" Lennon and McCartney 2:31
    5. "Hey Bulldog" Lennon and McCartney 3:11
    6. "Birthday" Lennon and McCartney 2:43
    7. "Get Back" (album version) Lennon and McCartney 3:09

I'm going to look for that on CD, I could get into that tracklist

I'm going to look for that on CD, I could get into that tracklist
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000LYL8VK

Vinyl, not CD.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000LYL8VK

Vinyl, not CD.
    Yes, it was never released on CD. It'd make a good playlist on Spotify.

I can deal with vinyl, got a turntable with a cartridge with barely 15 hours of play time on it. A quality tape deck and brand new type II C-90 tapes made by National Audio Company in the US of A.

I've been listening to my Aerosmith tape made from vinyl back in ... oh, some time before 1982 that's pretty much all I can be sure of. CD player in my car is dead but the tape deck still works and sounds great.

I can deal with vinyl, got a turntable with a cartridge with barely 15 hours of play time on it. A quality tape deck and brand new type II C-90 tapes made by National Audio Company in the US of A.

I've been listening to my Aerosmith tape made from vinyl back in ... oh, some time before 1982 that's pretty much all I can be sure of. CD player in my car is dead but the tape deck still works and sounds great.
    When my cassette deck died, I never got another. Still have a few tapes. Back in the day, I recorded like crazy from vinyl. I had a collection of over 1000 albums, but whittled it down to about 200 because of trans-Atlantic moves. I have a fairly massive CD collection but mostly listen to it all on Spotify.