Last smoke

I quit smoking when I lay down tonight.

Carton of patches by the bath sink.

So apprehensive.

Wish me luck!

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Re: Last smoke

Good luck to ya man... I need to quit too!!!

Good luck!

I quit smoking in 1993. Proof that it can be done! Just one day at a time, maybe even one hour at a time, or even five minutes at a time, until the urge passes. These days, the smell of tobacco repulses me, and when I see someone smoking, the mere act looks ridiculous. Just think: What sane person puts the smoke of a burning plant into their lungs on purpose?!!

those patches are a bitch to keep lit, good luck

come saturday it will be 5 years for me. watch out for eating to fill in the smoking breaks.

Forum Member

I quit about 6 years ago. You just gotta get it in your mind that it is time. If you are not convinced your body won't be. Just imagine how crappy they make you feel and work from there. I tried to quit about 20 times before that.

Sincere Congratulations to those that have quit and to CG I've got my fingers crossed. Really hope that you do this. Life will ultimately be so much better.

Good luck!

I quit smoking in 1980 by going "cold turkey" and just making up my mind I didn't want to smoke anymore. Today I feel that, health wise, it was one of the smartest things I've ever done.

Thanks everyone!

I made it through the workday without trying to strangle anyone/anything.

I am feeling positive.
    What happend?

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    Thanks everyone!

I made it through the workday without trying to strangle anyone/anything.

I am feeling positive.
    Thumbs Up!

And if you can do it one day, you can do it for another...

TFF Stage Crew

Don't be apprehensive. What you are doing is probably the smartest thing you can do for yourself. It may be the toughest, too, since right now your whole being maybe telling you that you are going to fall apart if you don't get a cigarette NOW. Just keep moving ahead & the monster will grow quieter & quieter until you can't even hear it.
    BTW- June 24th, 2004 is my quit date

Forum Member

You'll get it done!
    I quit when cigs hit $2 a pack! I really didn't have any problem, even after 30+ years of using the things.
    I really think it is a mental craving, not so much as a physical one, although my youngest daughter doesn't think so. She has started using the water vapor!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    You'll get it done!
    I quit when cigs hit $2 a pack! I really didn't have any problem, even after 30+ years of using the things.
    I really think it is a mental craving, not so much as a physical one, although my youngest daughter doesn't think so. She has started using the water vapor!
    +1

When I quit smoking, I found it hardest when the _occasion_ for smoking came up: pour a cup of coffee, light a cigarette. Put the key in the ignition, light a cigarette. Finish playing a song, light a cigarette.

The habit wasn't the actual smoking, the habit was smoking as part of a scenario.

TFF Stage Crew

That's a truth, right there

it sure is. I smoked when I went for walks. It took an insane amount of willpower to get out that door knowing I wasn't going to have a smoke. I also smoked after toking up and that became a buzz-enhanced craving that nearly broke me. It was so bad that I had to stop smoking weed too. I wanted to quit cigarettes that much. Thank goodness for edibles, no craving for a cigarette afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    +1

When I quit smoking, I found it hardest when the _occasion_ for smoking came up: pour a cup of coffee, light a cigarette. Put the key in the ignition, light a cigarette. Finish playing a song, light a cigarette.

The habit wasn't the actual smoking, the habit was smoking as part of a scenario.
    Exactly -

I was also an Eater when I quit - actually started with getting up to grab a snack, not really remembering it (during the night) and escalated to cooking things and wondered who messed up the kitchen last night?

Would recommend changing habits, picking up new ones to re-focus when you used to have a smoke, and buying healthier things to eat while going through this.

I chewed a LOT of Big Red Gum when I quit, and now can't stand the thoguht of chewing gum. My wife STILL tries to push it on me - It brings back the turmoil feeling in a big way. I made it all the way through Desert Storm without lighting up - quit in Mar/Apr of 89 and still don't smoke. I was 175 lbs when I quit, haven't seen under 200 since, and am about 245 ish now. I hate that part........
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I'm trying to get my mind set on it. Right now, I've stopped one habit and trying to cut back on eating too, so I'm having to wait until the dust has settled on those. I'm hoping that I can quit before my semester starts in late August. Pardon the pun, but it's a fag to smoke between classes, having to run out to my car and roll one--I hate pre-rolled cigarettes. Since having quit toking, I've been smoking more cigs, and although loose tobacco is cheaper, I'm still spending more than I ought.

There's no good excuse for smoking.

I'm proud of my mother--having smoked from 12 years old to 83, she put them down about 6 months ago and is still smoke-free.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

We are in your corner,CG....you can do it!
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

In all honesty - put what you would roughly be spending in smokes into a piggy bank, or whatever......over a year.

Put half towards a nice purchase JUST FOR YOU, and the other half into savings, house, whatever......

At roughly $5 a pack - and about a carton a week for a lot of peoples...... X 52 weeks, Thats going to be almost a brand new 59 bassman, a Super reissue or similar. Or pizza and a hooker or something.......
    Kenny Belmont

is that 5 bucks a pack the half price? When i quit 5 years ago, cigs here were around 6.35 a pack. There have been increases in the taxes at least yearly and several times in 6 months intervals. I have no idea what a pack costs now and frankly I don't care enough to ask to find out. The internet is useless in trying to find out what the f you pay if you walk into a convenience store today.

They're 6.50 at the grocery and 7-8 at the quickee mart.

Ask me how I know.

ugh.

What happend?

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    is that 5 bucks a pack the half price? When i quit 5 years ago, cigs here were around 6.35 a pack. There have been increases in the taxes at least yearly and several times in 6 months intervals. I have no idea what a pack costs now and frankly I don't care enough to ask to find out. The internet is useless in trying to find out what the f you pay if you walk into a convenience store today.
    ok - so maybe get a strat too?
    Kenny Belmont

Forum Member

Just throw out the pack tonight and don't buy one tomorrow. I swear, eventually it will work.

I am probably the luckiest SOB around.

been smoking casually since My late teens and never really got addicted.

A a matter of fact I "quit" smoking about 2 months ago, cause my new girlfriend doesn't like smoking and I didn't even miss it after I started dating her.

My Zippo is empty and clean, inside my guitar accessories drawer.

I quit cold turkey over 25 years ago. At the time, just taking a pull on a smoke would make me want to vomit. Same thing today, so no fear that I'd ever start up again. Cigars - and I mean good Cuban cigars - are a whole other story!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    When I quit smoking cigarettes were going from $.75 to $.85 a pack and I thought both prices were a total rip off. I used to pick up cigarettes for father's friend for $.20 a pack. He'd give me a quarter and tell me to buy a candy bar with the change.

I've had smokers give me a bunch of "crap" for driving a Corvette and I always think that if they'd stop spending $100 to $300 a month on cigarettes they too could be driving a Corvette (or any vehicle of their choice).

Well...

Tomorrow is another day but it won't be the day.

ug.

What happend?

TFF Stage Crew

Sorry to hear it but don't be too hard on yourself. No joke: you are literally in the grip of an addiction.

Everyone has their own time and methods

I couldn't get gum, and patches were new, didn't have access......

I smoked three cartons my last 10 days/two weeks - called it "oversmoking".

I put my last one out on a sunday night and quit. I made it to Wednesday and had a couple of drags - got dizzy, hated it and haven't had one since - that was april/may 1989.

You have to be mentally prepared to quit, want to quit, need to quit, or have some serious motivation.
    only you know when you are ready -

Best of luck and mojo on it man.
    Kenny Belmont

TFF Stage Crew

Back in the '90s I had a bad cocaine habit. The drummer in my band was also a good friend, & he had been through it already. I remember he said to me once " you just have to want something else more". The simplicity of that statement helped to empower me to quit, & I have returned to that idea on many occasions when I've needed to alter some habits or behaviors I felt were unhealthy or destructive, such as smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    In all honesty - put what you would roughly be spending in smokes into a piggy bank, or whatever......over a year.

Put half towards a nice purchase JUST FOR YOU, and the other half into savings, house, whatever......

At roughly $5 a pack - and about a carton a week for a lot of peoples...... X 52 weeks, Thats going to be almost a brand new 59 bassman, a Super reissue or similar. Or pizza and a hooker or something.......
    They are cheaper where you are. Ann pays $10 a pack here in CT.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

I quit the hard way nov 2014, had a heart attack while driving home from playing ice hockey in Boston night before thanksgiving. Spent a month in a coma and another month in rehab. Still fighting anoxic brain injury but I'm freakin ALIVE!
    Evidently while in the hospital the question was how much I would recover, doing pretty well though

If you smoke please for the love of god and family quit now!!!