Thread: Sunday morning 4th of July weekend

Sunday morning 4th of July weekend

summer has fully arrived. last week I was freezing and even put the heat on for a short while to take the chill off my room. Not this week. The steam is on. Looks like we have nearly a week of hot sunny weather with little to no chances of thunderstorms.

not much going on. little chance to get away for any festivities.

Re: Sunday morning 4th of July weekend

Employer has given me some days off to compensate for all the traveling I've done (June was a mostly out-of-town month for me). So I have a long Fourth of July weekend. I'm working my second job today, but then Monday-Wednesday are a bunch of "me" time.

The weekend started with a bang last night when we were out in the country at our friend's home for the annual family fireworks display. He does a 45 minute show that is better than some communities can produce, and with thirty to forty friends and family, lots of great food and drink, and a cloudless evening, we couldn't have asked for a better experience.

Today it's breakfast with our son and friends and the start of a super week with a fun 4th of July planned featuring bacon-wrapped tenderloins and a great Mondavi Cabernet.

@ Laker: Sounds like a fantastic time. Oh, and bacon-wrapped ANYTHING is a winner so I can only imagine how wonderful that tenderloin will be!

Been a strange weekend for me... Didn't have to work yesterday which is rare to have a Saturday off. Was nice to take some time to wash and detail the Jeep at my leisure, as well as to get some other little chores accomplished... just felt weird, like I was playing hooky lol. Decided that we didn't want to mess with the crowd downtown and opted to just watch the fireworks from the front porch with homemade chicken-salad sandwiches and watermelon. Still to this day, fresh-sliced watermelon has got to be one of my favorite aromas! We both work today so besides maybe taking a little moonlight drive later this evening, I think our holiday weekend is about over.

Hope that everyone is having a good day!

Just got back from a visit to Mom and the sibs near Nashville. Bad traffic jam on the way home. But finally I'm home.

I've been invited to a party on the 4th, and I plan to go, but part of me dreads it. Until lately, I've been an outgoing guy, but just don't feel I have anything interesting to offer anyone at the moment. Still, I think it'll be good for me to get out.

Happy rest of the weekend and 4th to everyone.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

What an awesome day of tire shredding! Time to eat and drink beer (except my son who has to repair his car's broken rear suspension).

Man chores, like every Sunday, is the theme for the day.

I'm making progress though.

If I keep up the pace everything will be done by the first of the year.

I found a really great place to give the car a little beating.

Four lanes wide, protected by concrete walls on each side, 3 miles long with no access points other than the beginning and end.

I think I know where 4th gear ends and 5th starts, perhaps tomorrow morning I'll find out.

Ya'll be well.

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Addendum to above:

I would never break any law, never.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Just got back from a visit to Mom and the sibs near Nashville. Bad traffic jam on the way home. But finally I'm home.

I've been invited to a party on the 4th, and I plan to go, but part of me dreads it. Until lately, I've been an outgoing guy, but just don't feel I have anything interesting to offer anyone at the moment. Still, I think it'll be good for me to get out.

Happy rest of the weekend and 4th to everyone.
    Y'know, @ch willie, in my later years I've found that less is more. There's a lot of truth to the adage that if you listen more than you talk, people will be astounded at what a great conversationalist you are! When I go to parties, I get a glass of ice water (I don't drink alcohol) and mingle. When I don't try to monopolize a discussion it makes it much easier to let someone else do it (and it makes it easier to bow out if I don't like the topic). Go. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Y'know, @ch willie, in my later years I've found that less is more. There's a lot of truth to the adage that if you listen more than you talk, people will be astounded at what a great conversationalist you are! When I go to parties, I get a glass of ice water (I don't drink alcohol) and mingle. When I don't try to monopolize a discussion it makes it much easier to let someone else do it (and it makes it easier to bow out if I don't like the topic). Go. Enjoy!
    Good advice. I don't usually monopolize the conversation, but I do like to bring my A game. Listening will be the best course this time.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison