Thread: Let's spend Sunday in Car thread...

Let's spend Sunday in Car thread...

Got home from Biloxi late last night - of course the flight was delayed but I made it (and on the same day I left!!!). Lots of issues because of the tropical storm which soaked us pretty good.

This morning I need to go pick up the dog who has been at my step-son's house - that's about an hour each way... and then I have to go visit my wife at rehab (with the dog) which is about 1 1/2 hours each way. After that I'll get home and finish unpacking.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: Let's spend Sunday in Car thread...

Best of luck, Gibson Junkie.

I finished writing the first draft of a rocker last night. Today I'll refine it. Seems the songs are flowing these days. I've got six recent songs done for the project I'm working on. I went through about 6 years of writer's block as far as music goes, and I don't know what's happening now, but the writing is going well.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Good morning, everyone!

Came to JP for a rehearsal with the band as usual, and it sucked. I was horribly tense and couldn't solo to save my life. I was so pissed that I tgrew the pick at the floor.

Anyway, came back to the apartment and my neighbor visited me with a couple Heinekens and his new Thunderbird bass. We played some classic Sabbath and Zep stuff with my guitar and his bass unplugged, it was good for me to relax.

just had my mug of coffee reading a book and enjoying the seabreeze:

Last edited by S. Cane; 06-25-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Sergio,

What are you reading this morning?

I'm reading Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude. It's an impressive book, but it's not really to my tastes. However, unless a book is "bad," I always finish what I've started.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

yep, that's a lot of driving

I might drive to my grocery store today, it's about 1.3 miles away. That's about it. My long drive this week is up to the eye clinic about a 90 mile drive each way. I actually enjoy it as it is an easy drive. I wish I had a functioning CD player but beggars can't be choosers so cassette tape it is. Been getting a lot of miles out of my Aerosmith tape. Get Your Wings side 1 and Rocks side 2. This tape is 30 years old at least. I'm glad I held onto the briefcase of these all those years. I never really thought I'd be using them again as the primary music source in my car. Seems as though multi disc CD players are passe now and most units now have only a single tray with the idea that you'll be ripping the CD to the unit's internal HD anyway. Which I'm not opposed to except I have 220-240 something CDs. I'd like to somehow get all 7.8 days worth of tunes at AppleLossLess resolution into my car plus have Genius shuffling capability. I'll never listen to terrestrial radio if I can help it. I tried, I really tried and I just can't stand the commercials. Not even one.

I'm just driving to breakfast and Bloody Marys this morning; a very short drive of 5 minutes and absolutely no plans for the rest of the day. It's great to be retired where every week consists of six Saturdays and a Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    yep, that's a lot of driving

I might drive to my grocery store today, it's about 1.3 miles away. That's about it. My long drive this week is up to the eye clinic about a 90 mile drive each way. I actually enjoy it as it is an easy drive. I wish I had a functioning CD player but beggars can't be choosers so cassette tape it is. Been getting a lot of miles out of my Aerosmith tape. Get Your Wings side 1 and Rocks side 2. This tape is 30 years old at least. I'm glad I held onto the briefcase of these all those years. I never really thought I'd be using them again as the primary music source in my car. Seems as though multi disc CD players are passe now and most units now have only a single tray with the idea that you'll be ripping the CD to the unit's internal HD anyway. Which I'm not opposed to except I have 220-240 something CDs. I'd like to somehow get all 7.8 days worth of tunes at AppleLossLess resolution into my car plus have Genius shuffling capability. I'll never listen to terrestrial radio if I can help it. I tried, I really tried and I just can't stand the commercials. Not even one.
    I still have some cassettes, but I don't even have a player. I'm lucky that my car has bluetooth and I can play Spotify on my phone. It's so great. If only I had a better sounding system in the car. I haven't burned any CDS and have only bought a few over the last two years, thanks to Spotify. I only buy special CDs now, such as the Sgt. Pepper reissue. Am thinking of buying the latest Roger Waters CD--it's special to me. Just love his solo albums. I do listen to terrestrial radio, but only NPR and some oldies station for the nostalgia kick and for the 50s rock that I'm into at the moment.

Was up in lake country Friday pm to this morning prepping the cottage for the upcoming season. Now about to head out to the in-laws for a birthday lunch. Lot of driving/riding this weekend!

Had some crazy thunderstorms yesterday - felt my cottage rumble on its foundations with one particular thunderclap!

Had coffee out on the dock this morning, but there were so many mosquitos, I didn't last long! They should be gone in a couple of weeks, but it's been a wet spring/early summer.

We're mostly resting today. My son's car is going to a tuner who specializes in LS powered cars later this week so we're not doing too much to it ourselves- just eliminating a few concerns. I feel restless. I think I need a walk after a nap.

I installed a new shifter in the car on Thursday and wrecked my back doing it.

On the plus side, it has fantastic feel and precision.

Mrs. Gator feels good today, puttering around the house and singing.

I need to give the car a bath again and do my man chores, but all is well as can be here.

Be well everyone.

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Sergio,

What are you reading this morning?

I'm reading Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude. It's an impressive book, but it's not really to my tastes. However, unless a book is "bad," I always finish what I've started.

I was re-reading Hemingway's Islands in the stream. I can't stay away from Papa for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I was re-reading Hemingway's Islands in the stream. I can't stay away from Papa for long.
    Two big thumbs up!
    What happend?

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    I installed a new shifter in the car on Thursday and wrecked my back doing it.

On the plus side, it has fantastic feel and precision.

Mrs. Gator feels good today, puttering around the house and singing.

I need to give the car a bath again and do my man chores, but all is well as can be here.

Be well everyone.

What kind of car? What kind of shifter? My car is way overdue for a bath, but I'm so busy that if I get some time with my car I'm gonna drive it, not wash it!

I spent only about 11 miles in my car Sunday, but only because for the third time in four weeks I had to strap jet wings on my back. Small aircraft and quirky lodgings prohibit the carrying of even my travel guitar, so I'm "on the bench" again this week.

the good news is that my employer is giving me comp days for the Sundays I've traveled, so I'm going to have a monster July 4th weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    That's one of my faves. Now that's some epic fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    What kind of car? What kind of shifter? My car is way overdue for a bath, but I'm so busy that if I get some time with my car I'm gonna drive it, not wash it!
    2016 Corvette Stingray, 7 speed manual transmission.

New shifter is a MGW Flat Stick.

Incredibly positive in and out of gears with excellent precision across the gate.

Short as heck with less effort!

If GM installed these in their manual transmission Corvettes and Camaros, I have no doubt they would sell more.

What happend?

That's beautiful!

Thank You good Sir!
    What happend?

Wow, that is one hell of a ride, Sir!

2016 Corvette Stingray, 7 speed manual transmission.

New shifter is a MGW Flat Stick.

Incredibly positive in and out of gears with excellent precision across the gate.

Short as heck with less effort!

If GM installed these in their manual transmission Corvettes and Camaros, I have no doubt they would sell more.
    Knowing the way GM likes modifications to their product, and from what I've read on the Corvette Forum, that may void whatever drive train warranty you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Knowing the way GM likes modifications to their product, and from what I've read on the Corvette Forum, that may void whatever drive train warranty you have.
    Considering it's been to the dealer four times since new (10 months) for shifter problems with no resolution, should I have let it continue to crunch the 2, 4, 6 gates?

GM and their dealers don't care if your transmission doesn't work properly.

Once you are in the system with multiple repeat visits for the same problem, no dealership will touch it. They won't return your phone calls. It is lost money, GM paid the first dealer and probably won't pay the second to do the same job over even though the first problem wasn't addressed properly.

GM Customer Care was unable to schedule an appointment with any dealership in the Houston metro area over a 6 week period.

Yup.

Time will tell on the longevity of the transmission.

There have been zero 2 or 4 crunches since I installed and adjusted the new shifter.

It was an absolute joy to drive to work today.
    What happend?

Considering it's been to the dealer four times since new (10 months) for shifter problems with no resolution, should I have let it continue to crunch the 2, 4, 6 gates?

Once you are in the system with multiple repeat visits for the same problem, no dealership will touch it. They won't return your phone calls. It is lost money, GM paid the first dealer and probably won't pay the second to do the same job over even though the first problem wasn't addressed properly.

GM Customer Care was unable to schedule an appointment with any dealership in the Houston metro area over a 6 week period.

Yup.

There have been zero 2 or 4 crunches since I installed and adjusted the new shifter.

Here in Wisconsin we have a Lemon Law that states: "Wisconsin's Lemon Law defines "lemons" as vehicles that: Are 1 year old or less and still under warranty. Have a serious defect the dealer can't fix in 4 attempts. Have one or many defects that prevent you from using it for 30 days of non-consecutive driving." I am guessing you are in the Houston area so I am assuming Texas has no such law to protect consumers.

Actually, I found Texas does have a Lemon Law. Here's a link to it: Texas Lemon Law

This happened yesterday... I was going to bring it in Thursday to have the backup warning thing fixed...

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

@LakerI am tired of dealing with GM. They were unable to fix it so I did it myself. In the end, it is just a car. I hope I don't need to use warranty work.It is extremely enjoyable to drive now.@gibsonjunkieThat sucks!No injuries, I hope.Edit:don't know why everything is running together this morning!
    What happend?

I think it was a java issue causing everything to run together.

Be well everyone.
    What happend?

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    This happened yesterday... I was going to bring it in Thursday to have the backup warning thing fixed...

Dang! At least it's contained to just the bumper skin.

Yup.

Wow! Pain in the butt! I hate warranties!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Dang! At least it's contained to just the bumper skin.
    and the taillight cracked - I was scheduled to have the backup camera repaired tomorrow morning...

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    and the taillight cracked - I was scheduled to have the backup camera repaired tomorrow morning...
    I missed that. My bigger concern was the sheet metal. The rear bumper skin on mi Miata was repainted before I bough the car due to a minor incident. The only concern with mine was that they used a clear coated paint and it has not stayed as black as the single stage paint on the rest of the car (early Miatas were not clear coated). The clear coat has yellowed a bit. It's very minor- only I ever notice it.

Forum Member

There is a reason all owners manuals have an 800 customer service number, use it!
    I was service manager for a GM and Toyota dealership before I opened my shop. Sometimes I would call for an authorization for repair, and get a run around, I'd just tell the customer to use the 800 number. I would get a call from the same rep I spoke with before, asking me if I couldn't do something to help the customer with their problem! The only time the dealer gets in trouble for warranty work, is if there is a suspicion that there is fraud involved. (Yes all dealers use warranty repairs, to fix out of warranty used cars), they just have to be careful that the charged car doesn't need the same repair soon!