Thread: Wow. Whoops. Weird.

Wow. Whoops. Weird.

I'm pretty sure this has happened to others, but I'm just checking against my own experience to make sure I'm not nuts.

This past weekend, I pulled out "Shimmer," my 2006 CS Robin Trower signature Stratocaster and went to work on a new song I'd been wanting to learn. I had been playing for 15-20 minutes when I glanced over and spied my 2004 MIM 50th Anniversary Strat, which has been my "daily" player for a while now, and said to myself, "What the heck? Let me just try my new chops on the "cheap" guitar.

Zounds! All of a sudden, it felt like everything had fallen into place. The action felt smoother, the sound cleaner (okay, so I was using a pedal...) and I felt amazed and wonderment at the same time. "Shimmer" is the pinnacle of my collection. By all rights, she ought to make everything else pale in comparison. Particularly a MIM Strat that cost about 1/5th the price. But no...

Okay, it could have been the moment, the heat, the phase of the moon -- I don't know -- but after I was done, I was shaking my head for a while. I'm going to repeat the process, maybe play the MIM first and switch to Shimmer, but I want to see if it was a fluke, a moment, or just my imagination.

Does anyone have a name for this? Has it happened to you, and how did you react?

Re: Wow. Whoops. Weird.

It's called GBS (Gas Blowback Syndrome).

The only medically recognized cure is a new guitar.

Another to rule them all.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    It's called GBS (Gas Blowback Syndrome).

The only medically recognized cure is a new guitar.

Another to rule them all.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

Funny, have you been reading my mail? I was just looking at a new Strat.

yer killing me

I need a strat bad

TFF Stage Crew

What the heck? It looks vintage, it looks modern. Beautiful natural woods. What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    What the heck? It looks vintage, it looks modern. Beautiful natural woods. What is it?
    It's a Custom Shop Claro Walnut Artisan Stratocaster. The body is roasted butternut w/ claro walnut and the neck is a V-shaped one-piece medium-roasted AAA birds-eye maple.

OS, you have a good collection of Strats, and I may be alone here, but if I were GASing for another guitbox, I'd branch out and try a whole different brand--maybe a Music Man or a G&L or a Gibson. Of course, my own GAS makes me lust after a Rickenbacker. Blasphemous, I know.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    OS, you have a good collection of Strats, and I may be alone here, but if I were GASing for another guitbox, I'd branch out and try a whole different brand--maybe a Music Man or a G&L or a Gibson. Of course, my own GAS makes me lust after a Rickenbacker. Blasphemous, I know.
    You're right, @ch willie, and my post about the claro walnut Strat was semi-tongue-in-cheek (it's a lovely guitar). Of late, my eyes have been turned back to the hollowbody/semi-hollowbody electrics: the Gibson ES-335 or Gretsch 6120/6122T. Then again, I'm still getting settled into my new home, so I have other needs on my list...

It's just habit and instrument specific knowledge.

If you play one guitar nearly exclusively for any real period of time everything else feels weird/different/wrong.

TFF Stage Crew

Those Artisan guitars are insanely beautiful. Unfortunately they are also insanely priced! I would just build one myself

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    You're right, @ch willie, and my post about the claro walnut Strat was semi-tongue-in-cheek (it's a lovely guitar). Of late, my eyes have been turned back to the hollowbody/semi-hollowbody electrics: the Gibson ES-335 or Gretsch 6120/6122T. Then again, I'm still getting settled into my new home, so I have other needs on my list...
    Ha ha, I'm just trying to live through you by projecting my GAS onto you. Wait a sec: that just sounds wrong...
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Stummer,

Sometimes you just pick the right guitar for the song. There's no one-size-fits-all best guitar, and part of the deal is knowing which one to grab when you need it.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim