Thread: Guitar salvation

Guitar salvation

I've told you all about the awful experience I had with my last band. We had a bit of a following in my town (18,000 population). I was the frontman, and we had a string of really good gigs. The last 2 gigs went badly, not my fault for the first one, but the second one was my fault for sure. I was experiencing hard anxiety, not about the gig, but due to my illness, and I played badly. We wound up in a big argument after that and had a guitarist who, while phenomenal when playing by himself, respected no one who couldn't shred. So, I left the band with the shameful feeling of that last gig.

Last night, I had a drummer over who was in a very good band. He told me that other bands always thought I was great and that my playing was great for the stuff we were doing before the other guitarist came in and took over the band.

I needed that positive feedback, and it's encouraged me to brush up on my chops again. I've been really down on myself as a player. His kind words felt like guitar salvation to me.

I do want to become a better guitarist, though I'm still not into shredding or playing fast fast leads. I'd rather become a very capable rhythm player. Well, I am already, but there's still a lot more that I'd like to learn.

Thank you all for your encouragement and for the info you've given me about chords (in that other thread I started yesterday and probably should have been posted in The Woodshed forum.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Guitar salvation

Be the kind of guitarist that you are, get in with decent people and it'll all be okay!