Thread: Recuperation Time

Recuperation Time

Just wondering how much time do the rest of you take off after playing? I find that I need about three days after a show to let my hands recover. I can still play everyday, but my playing suffers. If I let the mitts rest at least three-four days after a show or intense practice/rehearsal session they seem fully recovered. Times when we have back-to-back shows I like to go all week without playing if I can. Helps with the ears too! It's not a geezer thing for me, this has been a constant over the years. I'll rest 'em, then do my stretches before a 5 minute warmup before we play. I like to use the warmup time to be working on new material.

What are your regimes? How do you keep your hands in shape?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Re: Recuperation Time

I don't play out a lot so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I just need a day off between gigs. I don't even like a full rehearsal the day before a gig, just a little light practice on my own. If I have to play two gigs on two days in a row, I back off a little on each one- to be honest, it probably sounds better when I do that, anyway!

I take a day or so after a good gig. Not a big deal for me.

Depends for me, but usually 2-3 days. I don't even play gigs anymore, just Sunday services at church. But, my right hand is all messed up so I take it as easy as I can. Even just playing at home for an hour or two and it will start to hurt.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

might take a little longer

I'm at 70+ years old and I do not want to rest between gigs, I get old quick! Over the years I've found it is best to just keep playing and get short rests when you can. If too much time passes the muscles have a tendency to atrophy (think that is the correct term) and recovery becomes ever so more difficult. As a weekend warrior, I realize I have passed my prime, but the enjoyment of playing keeps me moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I'm at 70+ years old and I do not want to rest between gigs, I get old quick! Over the years I've found it is best to just keep playing and get short rests when you can. If too much time passes the muscles have a tendency to atrophy (think that is the correct term) and recovery becomes ever so more difficult. As a weekend warrior, I realize I have passed my prime, but the enjoyment of playing keeps me moving forward.
    Way to go, brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    At 55 and with some health problems, I'm inspired by your attitude. Music keeps us alive, doesn't it? Today, high on this huge Beatles tome I've read, I've been listening to their Hamburg Star Club music. I think about the energy those guys have, and even though I'm way past my sell by date, it inspires me to play and sing my heart out. I have to admit that even though I've decided not to play live for a while, I miss that inspiration that can only come from playing live. Anyway, best to you, brother.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

I find my ears need more of a rest than my hands most of the time (unless my focal dystonia is acting up) if it's electric guitar. Bass I have to work up to handle more than 3 days at 3 hrs each in a row. Hardest on me are busy retreats where I play acoustic. I had a 4 day one where Thurs was 3 hours, Fri 7 hours, Sat 7 hours and Sun 3 hours. I didn't want to touch an acoustic guitar for a few days after that.

Right now everything is slow, but this time last year the normal week looked like:
    Mon 1-2 hours electric guitar
    Tues 1-2 hours bass
    Wed 2-3 hours bass
    Thurs 2-3 hours electric guitar
    Fri 3 hours bass
    Sat 3 hours bass
    Sun 3 hours electric guitar
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    might take a little longer

Close enough! I asked my Orthopedic Dr if he could lop my hand off and give me a robotic one. His reply was "Oh no, we can't do that! Because then you'd be more machine than man..." I totally lost it! 😂
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"