Thread: Musical Decision

Musical Decision

I've been missing playing live and have thought about joining some band as a bass player--I could always use a little extra money for ciggies and beer.

But for now, I've decided just to keep writing songs and work on my guitar playing.

There are many reasons, but partly, I never know how the pressures of playing live will affect my anxiety, which is under control at the moment. Sometimes, the quiet life is the best life.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Musical Decision

Sometimes, the quiet life is the best life.

I couldn't have said it better.

I've been "on break" for a couple years now, one of the surgeries I had was a real doozie! But I'm slowly working my way up to playing out live again. I have some good friends who I've Been playing with here at my house. We're working on some songs I wrote. Never really tried to get a band together to play my own music, I've always been a sideman or soundman... LOL What's really amazing is that even though I've been playing these past years, my "chops" aren't any where close to what they used to be. Been playing and practicing, but playing music 3 days a week is completely different! I don't miss the long drives, setting up equipment and the late nights. But I do miss the feeling you get when the band is playing good. THAT can really lift my spirits and soothe my soul.

We all need a break from it though, and it's good that you are. You'll know when it's time to get back to it. Best of luck to you amigo! 👍
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    I've been "on break" for a couple years now, one of the surgeries I had was a real doozie! But I'm slowly working my way up to playing out live again. I have some good friends who I've Been playing with here at my house. We're working on some songs I wrote. Never really tried to get a band together to play my own music, I've always been a sideman or soundman... LOL What's really amazing is that even though I've been playing these past years, my "chops" aren't any where close to what they used to be. Been playing and practicing, but playing music 3 days a week is completely different! I don't miss the long drives, setting up equipment and the late nights. But I do miss the feeling you get when the band is playing good. THAT can really lift my spirits and soothe my soul.

We all need a break from it though, and it's good that you are. You'll know when it's time to get back to it. Best of luck to you amigo! 👍
    Thanks, Chucko. Good on you for doing your own music--there are sure enough cover bands out there. I've always played in a covers band, and I just don't want to do that again.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I love playing in cover bands but it's a lot of work, and I don't have the stamina or strength to do it. Used to work 12 hour days and then travel, setup, play three sets, tear down, go home, then wake up 2 hours later and go to work... Can't do that anymore. Plus, I've never had my own band! I'm both looking forward AND dreading it! LOL

But, again, best of luck to you!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Thanks, and good luck with your band. It sounds like a good decision, and it must be somewhat exciting.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I've been missing playing live and have thought about joining some band as a bass player--I could always use a little extra money for ciggies and beer.

But for now, I've decided just to keep writing songs and work on my guitar playing.

There are many reasons, but partly, I never know how the pressures of playing live will affect my anxiety, which is under control at the moment. Sometimes, the quiet life is the best life.
    That is one thing I have been enjoying. But I tell you what, I live in mortal fear somebody is gonna grab my iPhone when I die and play all those "hummed snippets of a song from my head" that I stored in the moment! My humming sounds are like the most bland and dull crap you ever heard and somebody will laugh so hard they will die!

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    That is one thing I have been enjoying. But I tell you what, I live in mortal fear somebody is gonna grab my iPhone when I die and play all those "hummed snippets of a song from my head" that I stored in the moment! My humming sounds are like the most bland and dull crap you ever heard and somebody will laugh so hard they will die!
    Either that, or for a fml moment, they'll put backing tracks to it and sell it as "rain forest chanting"...

Forum Member

Actually it is closer to "The Whales Chorus".

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Actually it is closer to "The Whales Chorus".
    Ha ha!