Thread: Mayer's new SSO?

Mayer's new SSO?

It seems that long time Fender artist John Mayer, not so long after breaking up with the company and switching to PRS... misses a good strat.

Here's his new Strat Shaped Object...

https://reverb.com/news/john-mayer-u...f8599-58396837

Re: Mayer's new SSO?

i've got to admit, Leo made the most comfortable body shape of all time. People may be tired of looking at them "Where's the innovations?" I hear all the time. Some things were just so perfect from the word go that innovations aren't necessary. I'm only talking about the body shape, not the functional bits.

I WISH that I got free guitars other people built for me! LOL

I don't care for JM's music, nothing against the guy, he is VERY talented! But, it has never appealed to me. Since he's a PRS endorsee now he probably has a stipulation in his contract about what guitars he's allowed to be photographed with? IDK how that works.

To be completely honest? I've never really understood endorsements. I get the concept, but to me anyway they're not a selling point. I think it's because I grew up idolizing 90's Grunge/Alternative musicians. Which like Punk rock, is very DIY. Most of those guys were playing "hand me downs" or Pawnshop gear, nothing really new, usually gear they could buy cheap because it wasn't "cool" or mainstream. Cobain and his humbucker loaded student guitar Fenders, Kim Thayil from Soundgarden and his Guilds, Rivers Cuomo from Weezer and his homemade Warmoth Strats.

But, I'll leave it at that, don't need to sound like some bitter old man. Mr Mayer has been closely associated with a Strat, so I'm sure he was missing playing one. There's a reason why you see so many being played, they are great guitars!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    I WISH that I got free guitars other people built for me! LOL

I don't care for JM's music, nothing against the guy, he is VERY talented! But, it has never appealed to me. Since he's a PRS endorsee now he probably has a stipulation in his contract about what guitars he's allowed to be photographed with? IDK how that works.

To be completely honest? I've never really understood endorsements. I get the concept, but to me anyway they're not a selling point. I think it's because I grew up idolizing 90's Grunge/Alternative musicians. Which like Punk rock, is very DIY. Most of those guys were playing "hand me downs" or Pawnshop gear, nothing really new, usually gear they could buy cheap because it wasn't "cool" or mainstream. Cobain and his humbucker loaded student guitar Fenders, Kim Thayil from Soundgarden and his Guilds, Rivers Cuomo from Weezer and his homemade Warmoth Strats.

But, I'll leave it at that, don't need to sound like some bitter old man. Mr Mayer has been closely associated with a Strat, so I'm sure he was missing playing one. There's a reason why you see so many being played, they are great guitars!
    PRS lets him play whatever guitars he wants.

He left Fender because in addition to his contact/friend getting axed, they insisted he play with their amps. Mayer, who typically tours with two Two Rock JM Sigs (100 watt 4x6L6) and a Steel String Singer (also 100W 4x6L6 as it was #2) was, for a time anyway, seen spotting two little Deluxe Reverbs lol. wrong tool for the job, so to speak. Also his prized black strat had a catastrophic neck twist.

PRS has actually built him some new amps but Mayer only uses them some of the time. He also is using the SSS and a Fender Dual professional for some songs.

Also you might consider giving the new album a listen through if you haven't already. It's good guitar driven pop music (not as good as his last though, Born and Raised). In The Blood is incredibly legit though.

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    PRS lets him play whatever guitars he wants.

He left Fender because in addition to his contact/friend getting axed, they insisted he play with their amps. Mayer, who typically tours with two Two Rock JM Sigs (100 watt 4x6L6) and a Steel String Singer (also 100W 4x6L6 as it was #2) was, for a time anyway, seen spotting two little Deluxe Reverbs lol. wrong tool for the job, so to speak. Also his prized black strat had a catastrophic neck twist.

PRS has actually built him some new amps but Mayer only uses them some of the time. He also is using the SSS and a Fender Dual professional for some songs.

Also you might consider giving the new album a listen through if you haven't already. It's good guitar driven pop music (not as good as his last though, Born and Raised). In The Blood is incredibly legit though.

I like his live playing much better than his studio works. He knows his blues and isn't afraid of putting them into his compositions. I respect and like that.

What was that about his friend?

I think he's a super talented songwriter and player, but I don't like his vocal mannerisms. I've listened at least a few times to all of his albums; just can't get into him.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison