Thread: orange TT head with greenback

Forum Member

orange TT head with greenback

Anyone tried this? Have the orange 1x12 cab[v30] but fancy experimenting! I play mostly clean/breakup and wanna know would this work being 20w? Gonna get a heritage one,cheers. p.s,would also sometimes run my drri thru/alongside
    it

Re: orange TT head with greenback

Quote Originally Posted by Sumner93 View Post
    Anyone tried this? Have the orange 1x12 cab[v30] but fancy experimenting! I play mostly clean/breakup and wanna know would this work being 20w? Gonna get a heritage one,cheers. p.s,would also sometimes run my drri thru/alongside
    it
    Oranges seem to thrive on closed-back cabinets. Without the extra girth a closed-back brings they can sound bit "busy" to my ears. YMMV

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

just tried the tt through the drri jensen c12k- sounded like absolute shit,deffo gonna go the heritage g12m route,if its good enough for an Ac15.......

Definitely need an English speaker with English amps
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

ya right there boss,gonna just get the heritage greenback,8ohm then i can run the drri through it occasionally

I usually prefer Fender amps through a Celestion, myself. Nothing wrong with Jensen type speakers! I have one in my Ampeg Jet. But over the years I've found that I simply prefer Celestion type speakers in my guitar amps. If I had a Brown/Black/Silver Twin, then I'd would probably use Jensen or JBL or something like that. Tweed Twin I'd go UK type.

Best of luck to you buddy!

I've never played through an Orange amp. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

They're pretty awesome CHW, they have a "British" tone but with their own unique flavor. Hard to describe but a great experience.

I still dream of owning a 200 watt Orange bass head. I grew up staring at the inside cover of the Weezer Blue Album... I have the right basses and speaker cab, and the period correct clothing. Just missing the amplification. LOL

Sorry for the sidetrack, now back to our regularly scheduled program

Love my Fenders with G1265's or ET65's.

That includes the big ones.

I think Bother Jeff uses G1275's with his Rockerverb's.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Well...

Thats what I get for opening my mouth...

Eggs..

Brother Jeff uses V30's with his Rockerverbs.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Forum Member

Cheers lads,will do,lovely cleans imo from the TT,sorta voxy [to my ears] chime,sparkle,shimmer,but ballsy as hell,kinda compressed/3d soundin-that was of course after i replaced the stock no-name chinese rubbish with some proper glass.

These little British style amps are really good! I have a Jet City 333 that I replaced the tubes in with JJ's and run through an Avatar Bluesbreaker 2X12 cab with Greenbacks. Sounds so good!!! I have it set just on the verge of breakup, play light and it's pretty clean, dig in and it starts to growl. Hit it with a pedal and I'm rocking. Post a pic

Played a lot of Oranges. Recently just purchased a Red Fang for my Tiny Terror and I think it's the best speaker I've ever put that amp through. Greenbacks are good with it, especially mixed with a V30. Found a G12H a bit too dark for it.
    EJ Strat

Forum Member

considered a blue or a gold,£200 tho,as is the red,heritage green £120 and have heard its a ceramic version of a blue,however accurate this is,am lookin forward to the greens woody,airey qualities. Any opinion on the greens cleans?

Quote Originally Posted by 10-15-14 View Post
    Played a lot of Oranges. Recently just purchased a Red Fang for my Tiny Terror and I think it's the best speaker I've ever put that amp through. Greenbacks are good with it, especially mixed with a V30. Found a G12H a bit too dark for it.

Welcome back!

The red fang gotta sound great with the TT!

Forum Member

would a jensen alnico be comparable to a redfang or a
    blue to go in the TT? Cheers

No! Get the Red Fang, it's a KILLER!!! The Alnico Jensen is still the American Jensen tone, only with Alnico and not ceramic.

I have Greenbacks in my Avatar Bluesbreaker 2X12, and absolutely LOVE it!!! IDK how "clean" your clean tone is, but I'm a huge fan of the Greenback. I've had Weber Blue Dogs, and also various Celestions (vintage and new). Like I said previously, I prefer Celestion speakers, and use them in most of my guitar amps. The only time I don't recommend them is for certain Black and Silverface amps. I used to have a 68 Bassman that I ran through a Marshall 4X12 that had 2 Greenbacks and 2 V30's.

Have you looked at Warehouse Guitar Speakers? They make Celestion type speakers, but at more reasonable prices. You should go on their site and check them out

Forum Member

Cheers Chuck,think I will go the heritage GB route,my clean on the TT would be gain between noon/one,volume noon upwards[depending on if I have the house to myself],guitar on about 8 so probably breakup/clean.Have seen the wgs ones,will have another look but think i'll go green!;}

I figured you weren't going for sparkling clean, but wanted to be sure.

Even if you don't buy WGS, their website does a good job of describing the tone of different speakers.