Thread: Gibson "faded/worn" finish

Gibson "faded/worn" finish

So, we often discuss Gibson's faded and worn finishes... Some folks like them, some others don't.

I myself had to educate myself before I could really appreciate the worn brown finish on my '61 RI Gibson SG... At first I missed the filler and the thicker lacquer.

Well, that finish DOES INDEED create a "played in" look and feel... here's my SG and my father's old Mario Gropp acoustic. This guitar is a good couple of decades old and has been played a lot.

Pretty cool, isn't it?

Re: Gibson "faded/worn" finish

I have a Les Paul Special DC that I bought used. It is a great guitar and looks like it's been through the mill... but that gives it charm. I baby all my other guitars - this one I don't care...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Great pics, Serge.

Although my LP Std Faded had some issues, but sounded great, I loved that worn neck. Very fast.

I really like your SG. Hope it's giving you a lot of joy.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

The 60s tribute SG I got is a lot like that. I wasn't sure at first......

I picked it up used at a great price, and only barely used at that.

I am a fan - its a great playing guitar. Burstbuckers 1&2 in it and its fine right out of the box. No binding on mine though......

Sergio - let me ask you this...... as you play it, and it gets a little play wear on it, do you feel a difference in the back of the neck? I dont' play mine nearly as much as my basses but it seems to lose its "Newness" feeling as time goes on. What do you think?
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    The 60s tribute SG I got is a lot like that. I wasn't sure at first......

I picked it up used at a great price, and only barely used at that.

I am a fan - its a great playing guitar. Burstbuckers 1&2 in it and its fine right out of the box. No binding on mine though......

Sergio - let me ask you this...... as you play it, and it gets a little play wear on it, do you feel a difference in the back of the neck? I dont' play mine nearly as much as my basses but it seems to lose its "Newness" feeling as time goes on. What do you think?

You see, I haven't played that Gibson enough yet. Only 1 gig and a few hours of fiddling around.
    I've had it for a couple of months now.

I'll certainly tell you when it happens, though.

Anyway, one thing I can tell you: I love the feel of a well worn instrument. My 23 year old Fender is probably my most comfortable guitar. Feels like an old pair of Levi's.

Some fellows ask me if I'll use tru-oil on the SG or even have it properly sprayed when the finish wears off, which in faded models seems to happen real soon, but Idk... I'll probably leave it as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Anyway, one thing I can tell you: I love the feel of a well worn instrument. My 23 year old Fender is probably my most comfortable guitar. Feels like an old pair of Levi's.

Some fellows ask me if I'll use tru-oil on the SG or even have it properly sprayed when the finish wears off, which in faded models seems to happen real soon, but Idk... I'll probably leave it as it is.

I have a Roadworn Jazz Bass - it IS that old pair of jeans. I don't know exactly how many gigs on it - but I have had it for 6-7 years......played most gigs with it, and use it a lot at home. So.......roughly 180-200 gigs plus a lot of jamming and home practice. It is my mainstay.

as far as truoil or refin on the SG - your call - but I wouldn't. I will probably hit the back of the neck with 0000 steel wool and then lemon oil it. I have done that with a couple of instruments I have/had and am always happy with the result.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    I have a Roadworn Jazz Bass - it IS that old pair of jeans. I don't know exactly how many gigs on it - but I have had it for 6-7 years......played most gigs with it, and use it a lot at home. So.......roughly 180-200 gigs plus a lot of jamming and home practice. It is my mainstay.

as far as truoil or refin on the SG - your call - but I wouldn't. I will probably hit the back of the neck with 0000 steel wool and then lemon oil it. I have done that with a couple of instruments I have/had and am always happy with the result.
    I'm a fan of lemon oil myself.

I condition my rosewood/baked maple fretboards with it and it really gives new life to the unfinished wood.

I prefer thinner finishes, and will sand down necks if they're too thick for my liking. Doesn't matter if it's Nitro or Poly, they both feel weird to me if they're really thick. And, being a person who doesn't polish their guitars much, I don't care really about how shiny the finish is. That's not to say I don't take care of my stuff, only that how shiny it is isn't my priority. From reading people's reviews of these guitars it seems like the main complaint is that it's a dull finish. I think most people who are into Gibsons are the kind of person who are interested in bright and shiny. Which is totally understandable as Gibson has always been marketed as an upscale guitar, which they are. I couldn't see paying big money for a hand rubbed finish that looks like a cutting board I made. So any time I read someone slamming the faded finish I just shake my head. Because those guys aren't the demographic that it was designed for.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Anything which works is fine by me. SG's are a must have IMO. Any way shape or form. Pure Rock and Roll.

I will mention this and stand back. Be very careful with lemon oil. Some woods will absorb it in such a manner that it only softens the wood. You will get a sheen, but it is more oily residue than what you really want. I have seen a lot of fingerboards ruined because too much has been used. They can become spongy. I would ASSUME (Note: I do not KNOW) that mahogany may become soft from it. If Rosewood can, mahogany is many shades softer anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Anything which works is fine by me. SG's are a must have IMO. Any way shape or form. Pure Rock and Roll.

I will mention this and stand back. Be very careful with lemon oil. Some woods will absorb it in such a manner that it only softens the wood. You will get a sheen, but it is more oily residue than what you really want. I have seen a lot of fingerboards ruined because too much has been used. They can become spongy. I would ASSUME (Note: I do not KNOW) that mahogany may become soft from it. If Rosewood can, mahogany is many shades softer anyways.

You are right.

Oiling fretboards is something to be done only when they need a conditioning, and never with too much of the stuff.

I gave mine a ligt oling because it was really too dry, now it looks ok, and that's it.

The fretboard on mine is baked maple, a harder and tighter wood, but it's always good to be careful with any liquids when it comes to wood.

Forum Member

Cool. How do you like the baked maple? I have been VERY curious about that. I want to pick one up and feel it myself. I would suspect it feels more like ebony?

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Cool. How do you like the baked maple? I have been VERY curious about that. I want to pick one up and feel it myself. I would suspect it feels more like ebony?
    It does, kinda.

It's not finished, so it feels more like a rosewood board than like a finished maple one, but the grain is tighter and smoother than rosewood's.

I guess it's like between ebony and rosewood.

It's actually a good wood for a fretboard, I must say. At first I was a bit skeptical, being a rosewood man, but I liked it a lot.