Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 70's Classic series Strats?

70's Classic series Strats?

Man..I have been down this road a few times in life..last one was a partscaster, a '67 RI MIJ neck on a MIM body..
    Forget which pickups I used, but wired it up with 250K CTS pots and a vintage cap..

Lately, I have been looking at the 70's Classic series and really dig the large headstock, maple necks and the white has been really standing out.

I just want the stratiest tone I can get, but LOVE the 70's aesthetics!!
    If the pickups aren't all that, then these Brandonwound early 70's style clones might work nicely: I can do up new 3x CTS 250K if needed too. (maybe "Memphis" wired..)

What's anyone's experiences with these 70's Classic Strats? I hear some reviews of fret buzz, but I like a more medium action, so hopefully that won't be an issue..

Re: 70's Classic series Strats?

As a Memphian, I am curious as to what is this "Memphis wiring" you speak of.

likewise, never heard of Memphis wiring

I Googled it and it seems that Memphis wiring involves using a three way switch for neck, neck/bridge and bridge pickup selection, using the volume pot on the neck and bridge pickups, the closer tone control as a middle pickup blend and the far tone control as a tone control for the neck and bridge pickups.

It should already have CTS 250K pots, so it should just be a matter of rewiring what you have there. I'm always curious why guys switch out the pots in their MIM and MIA guitars with the same thing they just pulled out? I'm not digging on you, just asking.

I had an MIM 70's reissue about 8 years ago? It played and felt good, but the pickups were really lacking to my ears. I swapped them out for some handmade flat pole 70's clones I had made for me. I also converted it to a 4 bolt neck.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I Googled it and it seems that Memphis wiring involves using a three way switch for neck, neck/bridge and bridge pickup selection, using the volume pot on the neck and bridge pickups, the closer tone control as a middle pickup blend and the far tone control as a tone control for the neck and bridge pickups.
    intriguing. if I ever build again, I might give that a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    intriguing. if I ever build again, I might give that a whirl.
    I might too.

Yep, that! So it would stand to reason to use 2 VOL knobs and 1 TONE knob

Sorry for late answer..KennyF merged my account with my old one.

I just played a '70s Classic Strat at a jam this weekend (it belonged to the host). It was a nice guitar. Nice vibe. The frets were small and it felt a little tight, but I think it had .010" strings on it rather than the .009"s that I'm used to.

I just played a '70s Classic Strat at a jam this weekend (it belonged to the host). It was a nice guitar. Nice vibe. The frets were small and it felt a little tight, but I think it had .010" strings on it rather than the .009"s that I'm used to.
    Sweet!

Trying to gather funds! I have a NICE stack of old Gibson parts that I could move for starters.

IF I don't dig frets, what's the usual cost to refret on a maple neck? (I know they go in differently, or at least they did at one time..)

Would you say the sound is there..like I won't have to immediately gut it and put in new pickups and pots?

Around my area it's $250-300. Unless you love the neck, I usually just buy a new one. You can probably sell the one on it and break even?

I love that headstock. Especially in a white strat...

And very interesting wiring tips too

Here's the diagram for those interested. Just a thought..the few Strats I have owned in the past were all wired conventionally, so it would probably be a slight learning curve to use.

Ahhhh! I just read that it's called the "Memphis wiring" because it was the preferred wiring of Roland Janes! Roland was a huge mentor to me. The first session I ever did was at Sam Phillips studio with Roland. He was a great man.

Quote Originally Posted by sticko View Post
    Ahhhh! I just read that it's called the "Memphis wiring" because it was the preferred wiring of Roland Janes! Roland was a huge mentor to me. The first session I ever did was at Sam Phillips studio with Roland. He was a great man.
    We must be relative neighbors, Sticko. Sounds like we need an Fforum jam sometime. Lucky you, being where the best music in the state is made.

I like Memphis wiring--might do it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    We must be relative neighbors, Sticko. Sounds like we need an Fforum jam sometime. Lucky you, being where the best music in the state is made.

I like Memphis wiring--might do it.
    Yeah dude! Come on over!

Yep, Memphis is a part of who I am for sure. Grew up in the music biz around here. Wouldn't leave for all the tea in China.

This should be here Tuesday:

With the V shaped grain at the butt end..really IMO has a strong resmblence to Ritchie Blackmore's California Jam Strat :

Let ya know when it gets here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Ford View Post
    This should be here Tuesday:
    Uhhh, no. I had the shipper re-direct it to my house.

That is one FINE looking guitar!

WOW!

Stunningly beautiful, Kris!!!

You really ought to post your own pics of her when she arrives!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Uhhh, no. I had the shipper re-direct it to my house.

That is one FINE looking guitar!

I will Sergio!
    Came with 90s case too.

Gorgeous! That is one hell of a strat!

Btw I'm gonna post something that you might like if you're a Blackmore man!

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Gorgeous! That is one hell of a strat!

Btw I'm gonna post something that you might like if you're a Blackmore man!
    I saw! Sounding great!

Kris that is gorgeous. I'd give a '70s inspired strat a try again if it does not have the gooped up neck that my '74 had. That thing was damn near unplayable. It wasn't just me, either. The guy who bought it from me had to buy a new neck. I played a '73 tele at a music store a couple years ago, had the exact same poly gooped up neck as my old one and while the electronics and tone were very nice, the neck was freaking awful to play.

I really REALLY like this thing! Yes, I need to take some REAL pics LOL

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    It should already have CTS 250K pots, so it should just be a matter of rewiring what you have there. I'm always curious why guys switch out the pots in their MIM and MIA guitars with the same thing they just pulled out? I'm not digging on you, just asking.

I had an MIM 70's reissue about 8 years ago? It played and felt good, but the pickups were really lacking to my ears. I swapped them out for some handmade flat pole 70's clones I had made for me. I also converted it to a 4 bolt neck.
    My LAST Strat had MIJ pots, so didn't know what to expect! HOPED for CTS, but when I wrote that, I didn't know that they used CTS, (or what taper or type, audio or linear) so now that I know it does, I will keep them. IF they measured really low, I'd at least replace them with ones that were at least 250K, if not a lil more...so it would be a matter of putting a BETTER part in, if the pots lack..low reading ones stifle the tone IMO.

I WON'T be wiring it Memphis style..I like the way it is..frets are just fine too..that's what I get for spending too much time on the forums! Fine AS IS! I had thought about having bridge have a tone control, but decided I like it stock...my other Strat has TexMex, and I really like those..but I do play with some heavy tube gain..not sure how they'd sound clean..but the 70's set is just fine for me! They really work through a Marshall! Neck has that hollow tone, 2nd and 4th position are mega clucky, and bridge is instant 1975 era RAINBOW!

Dan, the neck seems nice and smooth to me, maybe the poly isn't as thick on the RIs?

I'm certain the poly today is better than the '70s. I have a CV50 tele maple neck that's poly and it was a joy to play, even though I replaced it with a rosewood fingerboard CVC 60 tele neck. Heck, I wore the frets on that maple neck more than probably any other guitar I've ever owned. So I have little doubt the poly on your guitar is vastly superior to the horrible job that so many of the '70s fenders had. I mean it was like they immersed the neck in a vat of poly rather than sprayed it, or maybe applied it with a brush.

I really REALLY like this thing! Yes, I need to take some REAL pics LOL

BTW - what IS that guitar? I don't see anything above that says what model/year/etc?

I'm certain the poly today is better than the '70s. I have a CV50 tele maple neck that's poly and it was a joy to play, even though I replaced it with a rosewood fingerboard CVC 60 tele neck. Heck, I wore the frets on that maple neck more than probably any other guitar I've ever owned. So I have little doubt the poly on your guitar is vastly superior to the horrible job that so many of the '70s fenders had. I mean it was like they immersed the neck in a vat of poly rather than sprayed it, or maybe applied it with a brush.
    Cool. I had a 72-76 Thinline Tele, 25 some years ago, I do recall it wss pretty glossy..mine was sorta glassy, but nothing I remember as being awful. (i was 17, and didn't care either LOL)
    BTW - what IS that guitar? I don't see anything above that says what model/year/etc?
    Oh yeah..ooops..it's an '03 70's Classic Series in Natural.

Cool beans buddy! I'm glad you're liking the guitar 👍 As previously mentioned, I try to warn people about swapping parts just because they think they have to. Unless you're buying custom spec pots, like from Emerson Customs, pretty much every CTS 250K audio/log pot is going to function the same. And as far as DC readings, I personally "blueprint" on an "as needed" basis. I measure every pot, mark it with the ohm resistance, and then install wherever I think it'll work best. Sometimes having a low reading pot (215-230K) is a good thing in an overly bright sounding guitar. If you ever read posts by Gibson guys, they'll discuss 330K vs 500K pots, as Gibson varied what they used over the years. Same as Teles switching from 250K to 1Meg, depending on year.

Since tone is so subjective and particular to each musician, all these little fine details get blown out of proportion, ESPECIALLY on the internet! I normally advise people to tryout a piece of gear first before deciding they "need" to modify. I'm usually the first person to tear something apart so I can build it better, stronger, faster... LOL But honestly, if you do the research you should be able to buy something that's going to work. I spent way too much time trying to figure out how to get sounds from guitars that they weren't designed to make.

Congrats man! Hopefully you play this guitar until it falls apart!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    Cool beans buddy! I'm glad you're liking the guitar 👍 As previously mentioned, I try to warn people about swapping parts just because they think they have to. Unless you're buying custom spec pots, like from Emerson Customs, pretty much every CTS 250K audio/log pot is going to function the same. And as far as DC readings, I personally "blueprint" on an "as needed" basis. I measure every pot, mark it with the ohm resistance, and then install wherever I think it'll work best. Sometimes having a low reading pot (215-230K) is a good thing in an overly bright sounding guitar. If you ever read posts by Gibson guys, they'll discuss 330K vs 500K pots, as Gibson varied what they used over the years. Same as Teles switching from 250K to 1Meg, depending on year.

Since tone is so subjective and particular to each musician, all these little fine details get blown out of proportion, ESPECIALLY on the internet! I normally advise people to tryout a piece of gear first before deciding they "need" to modify. I'm usually the first person to tear something apart so I can build it better, stronger, faster... LOL But honestly, if you do the research you should be able to buy something that's going to work. I spent way too much time trying to figure out how to get sounds from guitars that they weren't designed to make.

Congrats man! Hopefully you play this guitar until it falls apart!!!
    Yeah, have been on both sides of the 300 vs 500k thing, but did install longshaft 500K volume pots in my '76 Les Paul, as it had low reading 300s..and built a 500K harnesses for 2 SGs and an Explorer, so if anything, I'd build one just because I like building them.

But also, I like to work with what I got! Stock pots are just fine, as are stock pickups..no need to change anything but the strings!

Thinking I got the pickups dialed in...Marshall guys, are you running just ever so slightly lower than the recommended specs? That's were I'm finding my sweet spot..too high and it becomes very harsh sounding.

I start from the factory specs and then dial in by ear. Anymore, I don't even measure as I can get them close by eye. Maybe you already know this, but factory specs are so that the guitar can be shipped anywhere, picked up and played by anyone, and sound pretty good. If you spend the time like you did adjusting the pups, you can get the sound you're after. My one trick I usually do is lower the middle pup to the guard. I like the way it sounds, and I'm not hitting it when I play.

Glad you made mention of that, Chuck. I'm often hitting the middle pup on my Strat. I have the height set according to sight and ear... factory specs as starting point ( same with all my guitars) but I've been looking at replacing the CS Fat 50's with something a little hotter as it is. Still not sure if I'm going to do all 3 or just bridge but regardless... I think I'm gonna lower that middle SC almost down to the guard now that you've brought it up. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure Blackmore used to do that? It's kind of an old school trick.

I wasn't aware of that but looking at some images, it seems you're right. Many images of him playing his Strat... looks like that middle pickup is quite low.

Seems to add to the cluck somewhat too.

That too! Plus, I LOVE the soft/sweet rhythm tones I get from soloing that pup and playing the skank and horn stab type stuff. I'm sure others have done this, but Blackmore stuck out in my mind about this.

Best Strat I had was a 50's MIM RI body, Maple and Rosewood neck, 15% over mid 60's type bridge pup with a baseplate, 78 Musicmaster flat pole in the middle on the deck, and a 5% over neck pup. I had it wired up on the switch so I could go mid, mid/bridge, bridge, bridge/neck, neck. I know there's other wiring schemes but this one is my favorite. I'm not a big Strat guy, and never really use the neck/mid combo. And it's easy to do AND I get the outside coils.

Seems to add to the cluck somewhat too.
    Never a bad thing, right!? lol

Not related to the intent of the thread but fortunate for me as I'm getting ready to "defile" my 2014 AmStd with some non-factory mods. Locking Gotoh tuners, a hotter SD SSL- 5 bridge pup, and a Wilkinson VS-100N. Lastly... if necessary, some Gotoh lockers.

Sorry for the brief derail, OP.
    Last edited by HighPlainsDrifter; 05-17-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter View Post
    Never a bad thing, right!? lol

Not related to the intent of the thread but fortunate for me as I'm getting ready to "defile" my 2014 AmStd with some non-factory mods. Locking Gotoh tuners, a hotter SD SSL- 5 bridge pup, and a Wilkinson VS-100N. Lastly... if necessary, some Gotoh lockers.

Sorry for the brief derail, OP.
    Ahh, NO worries! :)

Would love to see when you got 'em done!

So seems I couldn't leave well enough alone, and this fell into my lap:
    An '02 70's Classic!

Has a much more aggressive voice..it's a rocker! ALL Stock (has new guard and Pure Vintage eggshell white pickup covers and knobs. I used 2 Pure Vintage nylon string guide spacers instead of the metal ones on both)

I have 2 NOS orange dime caps to install..just because.

i LOVE them both! Yes, I DID think about swapping necks..but love them both as is.

One thing that impressed me the most was the stock pickups..NO need to change here!!

STILL want that white one!

what are those early '00s classics going for these days?

what are those early '00s classics going for these days?
    5-650ish..

I DID see one at 475! However, it was modded to dual humbuckers.