Thread: NGD - Robin Trower Autographed Stratocaster

NGD - Robin Trower Autographed Stratocaster

Long-awaited (well, by me, that is. Since last week), my new 2006 Fender Custom Shop Robin Trower Stratocaster, autographed by Robin Trower arrived. I know you want pics, so here are a few taken in poor light by my miserable phone. I'm still letting it acclimate, so I haven't yet played her.

The color is "Midnight Wine Burst." Red guitars don't usually float my boat, but this on has a nice look about it.

Re: NGD - Robin Trower Autographed Stratocaster

Very classy!

Thanks! After letting it sit and acclimate, I tuned it up and plugged it into my Mustang IIv2. I only wanted to spend 5-10 minutes getting to know her.

Wheee - I guess it was about an hour I played, using numerous amp models, going between my Mini DejáVibe, and changing pickup/tone selections. If I had to put my impression of the guitar into a single word, I'd probably say "glistening," or "shimmering." I rarely use a pick, and I found that string tones on some hammer-ons and pull-offs literally "chimed."

And she's (notice I use the feminine? I don't know why, but I can't bring myself to refer to her as "it") gorgeous! Mother of Pearl inlays, a very subtle burst effect on a sexy, subtle Midnight Wine color.

I had some nervousness about the "C" shape neck and 7.25" radius, but I think my years of playing acoustic guitars have inured me to the vagaries of different neck shapes and types. I found this every bit as easy to play as the soft-V and 9.5" radius of my other Strats.

Hey, do you think "
    Shimmer" would be a good name for her?

Glad you're enjoying it. She's beautiful.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Nice!

TFF Stage Crew

Midnight Wine, red, burgundy... whatever. That looks like a sleek beast
    & I'm not big on naming guitars, but I suppose if I had to I'd name it "Alethea"

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Midnight Wine, red, burgundy... whatever. That looks like a sleek beast
    & I'm not big on naming guitars, but I suppose if I had to I'd name it "Alethea"

My jaw hit the floor and that was before I even opened the thread! Man oh man oh man... I'm absolutely in awe. I don't typically like red guitars either but to be fair, that is the LEAST red red guitar I've ever seen lol. The color itself is incredible but add to it that very subtle dark-burst... absolutely a home run. Oh, and signed by who??? Some guy named Robin Trower? Well that's nothing special is it! My... I think I'm getting light-headed just thinking about her. Any name that sticks would certainly seem fitting but for the life of me I just keep hearing "Hannah". Sir... She is just too lovely. Congratulations.

Forum Member

I like!

How many Trower tunes have you played on it, OS? I was just looking at that beauty again and am listening to the compilation of his Chrysalis Years. Rock doesn't get much finer than that.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    How many Trower tunes have you played on it, OS? I was just looking at that beauty again and am listening to the compilation of his Chrysalis Years. Rock doesn't get much finer than that.

I'm in full agreement with you, @ch willie. I recently bought "A Tale Untold The Chrysalis Years (1973-1976)," which may be what you're listening to. He has a breadth, and depth and a soulfulness that is astounding. Those who cast him off as a Hendrix clone or "wannabe" are missing the picture.

And yes, I'm working Trower songs on it. Bridge of Sighs, of course. And Shame the Devil, Lady Love, and For Earth Below are all works in progress.

Years ago, I bought a Robin Trower songbook (retail price: US$4.95), copyright 1975! It has a song section and a tablature section. This was before there became a tab "standard," so it requires a bit of "translating" (I've never been good a tab), but the notes are terrific!

Plus, I find I can sing in the same register as James Dewar, so Trower's music is doubly appealing to me, since I sound like a squawk box on many songs by other artists I like.

Yep, that's what I was listening to. He is so much more than a Hendrix clone, and Dewar helped him to rise above imitation. I was a fan when In City Dreams and Bridge of Sighs came out. Still listen to him occasionally. Reminds me of my now deceased brother, who turned me on to Trower.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

I'm in full agreement with you, @ch willie. I recently bought "A Tale Untold The Chrysalis Years (1973-1976)," which may be what you're listening to. He has a breadth, and depth and a soulfulness that is astounding. Those who cast him off as a Hendrix clone or "wannabe" are missing the picture.

And yes, I'm working Trower songs on it. Bridge of Sighs, of course. And Shame the Devil, Lady Love, and For Earth Below are all works in progress.

Years ago, I bought a Robin Trower songbook (retail price: US$4.95), copyright 1975! It has a song section and a tablature section. This was before there became a tab "standard," so it requires a bit of "translating" (I've never been good a tab), but the notes are terrific!

Plus, I find I can sing in the same register as James Dewar, so Trower's music is doubly appealing to me, since I sound like a squawk box on many songs by other artists I like.
    I was fortunate to have seen Robin with James not long before his passing. It was in a club in Manchester, NH. I had a large number of clubs in a circuit that I frequented in the day that kept me in live music a good 6 days a week, for some reason Tuesday is the single worst day of the week for live music. LOL. Anyhow, I was walking through the parking lot when two girls approached asking if I wanted free tickets.

"Why? Who's playing?"

"Some guy named Robin Trower. We won the tickets from the radio station but we don't want them."

In my best indifferent poker face "Huh. Yeah, ok, I'll take one." As I was walking away some guy who overheard us came running up breathless "I'll buy your last ticket, 20 dollars." Heh heh. I got to see Robin Trower and the late James Dewar for free. It was one of the best shows I've seen anywhere. Robin was playing through 4 half stacks, two 4x12s, and two 4x10s. It sounded absolutely glorious and wasn't even that super loud.

Do you still have that songbook? the '70s was a very difficult time to find any books that weren't all poorly transcribed / faked for piano or transposed into any key but the record.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Do you still have that songbook? the '70s was a very difficult time to find any books that weren't all poorly transcribed / faked for piano or transposed into any key but the record.

I do indeed, have that songbook. Good news: four of Trower's songbooks are online free for the viewing (downloading is disabled). It's important to remember that Trower tunes down a whole step, so his standard tuning is in D, not E (D G C F A D). Thus, he plays the chords as shown, but his sound is one step deeper. Unfortunately, only the songs are online; any transcribing has been eliminated.

Shoot, somehow I missed this thread.

congrats on a killer new guitar!
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    Shoot, somehow I missed this thread.

congrats on a killer new guitar!
    Thanks, CG. It is truly the centerpiece of my collection. So lovely to play, it even makes a feeb like me sound good.

Awesome!!!
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I was fortunate to have seen Robin with James not long before his passing. It was in a club in Manchester, NH. I had a large number of clubs in a circuit that I frequented in the day that kept me in live music a good 6 days a week, for some reason Tuesday is the single worst day of the week for live music. LOL. Anyhow, I was walking through the parking lot when two girls approached asking if I wanted free tickets.

"Why? Who's playing?"

"Some guy named Robin Trower. We won the tickets from the radio station but we don't want them."

In my best indifferent poker face "Huh. Yeah, ok, I'll take one." As I was walking away some guy who overheard us came running up breathless "I'll buy your last ticket, 20 dollars." Heh heh. I got to see Robin Trower and the late James Dewar for free. It was one of the best shows I've seen anywhere. Robin was playing through 4 half stacks, two 4x12s, and two 4x10s. It sounded absolutely glorious and wasn't even that super loud.
    I absolutely love that story! I was fortunate enough to see Robin at a small venue in Columbus Ohio. I believe the club was called The Newport Music Hall. Same club where I also saw Primus ( BEFORE the release of their first album!) as well as Frank Marino ( of Mahogany Rush) and Willie Phoenix. But seeing Trower... so close and personal was an incredible experience. I can't honestly remember if Dewar was with him at the time or not. This was mid to late 80's. Anyway... ah, the memories!

Forum Member

A true beauty! wow! A belated congrats! I love this music! And i still occasionally listen to it...Always brings back memories of good times! And some great reading! I love this stuff!
    Last edited by Jeffp; 02-23-2018 at 08:38 PM.

Forum Member

It's one of my favorites among their Artist Custom line. I've not seen a lot of them around the web but your pictures proof it: It's a very classy color and a wonderful Strat altogether!

OS nice strat! Robin is a staple of my childhood many a day spent jamming his tunes.. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    OS nice strat! Robin is a staple of my childhood many a day spent jamming his tunes.. Enjoy!
    His tour is coming through my area next month. I already have my ticket...

he has three shows pretty much in reach of my area, were it not for the driving at night issue. I could probably do Portland ME the easiest as it would be all highway if I take the interstates instead of the two lane 101 but adding about 35 minutes to the trip each way. Boston is probably doable if I take the T from an outside of the city train station although I had a most unpleasant experience on the ride out last time I saw a show in Boston (Jeff Beck). The worst might be the Northampton show as I know nothing at all about the place.

and of course I'd be going by myself. Not that I mind but it limits my choices especially when it comes to transportation.

Nice guitar!!!
    Trower was AWESOME when he came through Cleveland. I have seen him over the years 10 times or so and this ranked up there with the best of them.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Forum Member

I'd love to see him live. Never heard of him coming down south though! If you've seen him ten times wow! Loved Bridge of Sighs!