Thread: From Sour To Sweet

From Sour To Sweet

I mentioned in another thread that the bottom two strings on my new Strat sounded kind of "raspy." Someone used the term "overdriven," and that's a pretty good description.

So this evening, I called up the local music store and asked them about service. Sure, I was told. The guy would be there until eight. I live five minutes away, so I was there in a heartbeat. I put the case on the counter and opened it up. "Oh, I remember those," said the guy. Another guy asked where they put the 50th anniversary logo, and I showed him the back of the guitar. The first guy strummed one string and said, "look at that: The neck pickup is too high." He took a screwdriver and made a couple of adjustments, then said, "go plug it in and see."

That did it! I plugged into a Deluxe Reverb '65 Re-issue and knew within 30 seconds that the guitar had been transformed from an also-ran to a winner! The second guy came over and we chatted while I played. He said that Fender's Mexican guitars were usually trouble-free; that it was the high-end Custom Shop jobs that required work (this, from the same place where I played the mouth-watering 2005 NAMM Custom Shop '56 Relic!). With 45 guitars, he humbles me in the collector category!

And dang it all, I just love those freakin' Deluxe Reverb amps! One of those, combined with a sweet-playing Stratocaster such as this one, make even ME sound pretty good. I can tell already, that one of those is going to wind up in my home. Well, it's only money...

Re: From Sour To Sweet

Easy fixes are the best fixes!

ah-hah. Stratitis strikes again. Fortunately it is easily cured.

I literally just fixed my buddy's guitar yesterday because he decided to take it to someone else... The other Tech had "helped" him by lowering the action WAY down... To the point that it was unplayable for my friend. He of course was all worried that he got bad pickups or something else was wrong. Couple turns on the saddle screws and GTG!

You gotta watch those pup heights on a Strat! Glad you got it sorted out
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"