Thread: Desert Sand NAMM Custom Shop 1956 Strat Relic

Desert Sand NAMM Custom Shop 1956 Strat Relic

I swore I wasn't going to buy any more guitars this year, and I mean to stay true to that vow. Of course, there are only two more days in the year, so I think I'm safe in that regard. :)

But today, I came across a very sweet-looking Strat that I thought I would pass by the expert audience and get your reaction. It's "on sale" for $2,799 (I've seen another listed for $3,500!).

Here's the description: 2005 NAMM Fender Custom 1956 Strat Relic Features a Light Ash Body in "Well Aged" Desert Sand Lacquer Finish. Bolt-On Maple Neck with "V" Shape and 9.5" Fingerboard Radius. Medium/Jumbo Frets. Three 50s Custom Shop Pickups. Gold Anodized Pickguard. Vintage Bridge. Seriel # CZ-52033 is BRAND NEW NOS and Comes with Fender Black Custom Shop Case, Strap, Cable, Owners Manual and Certificate.

So here's the good news: It's offered by a local guitar shop, which means I can actually go eyeball and handle it. I'm a little concerned with the "V" neck, but the "soft V" on my new Telecaster is pretty awesome, so maybe that's not an issue. I don't know much else about whether the pups are a good choice, but the rest of it seems pretty sweet.

A bit of a side issue: I seem to have a mental ceiling on what I'm willing to pay for something. I don't go looking for the cheapest deal, and I believe you have to pay for quality. But there are price limits I seem to have self-imposed on myself. I won't pay more than $400 for a suit (who wears suits anymore, anyway?), I won't pay more than $1,000 for a firearm (guns, guitars and girls are my passions. Well, two out of three ain't bad!), I won't pay more than $90,000 for an automobile, and to date, I haven't been willing to spend more than $2,000 on a guitar. At $2,799, this goes beyond my limit, so my feeling is this has to be one spectacular guitar for me to open my wallet that wide.

Is it?

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Desert Sand NAMM Custom Shop 1956 Strat Relic

It's simply gorgeous--I'm drooling over here. But it's only spectacular for the money you paid for it if you think it is.

That's neat!

I have a 2005 CS 1956 light relic Strat. It's not as custom as this, just a regular sunburst with small frets. I LOVE the guitar, but I paid $1,900 for it. Seems like these can be had for this price if you look around. Again, this has more "custom" stuff going on, but I don't know if that warrants the price difference.

Sweet guitar though. Desert sand is such a truly mid-century look.

I went to the store today, held it, and plugged it into a Fender '68 Deluxe Reverb (that was a mistake - I'll explain below). Wow, did it play and sound sweet! The neck wasn't as wide as the photos made it look, and it was actually a bit paler in color than it appears in the photos.

The only down side to me was I wasn't real keen on the "relic" work the Custom Shop had applied. Oh, I know that's a "thing" with some people, and I hear it also eliminates (or at least minimizes) the fear and pain of the first ding. You see, I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to guitars: I like them looking clean and pristine, and I work to keep them that way. A banged up guitar just seems to me to be disrespectful.

So, a beat-up looking guitar that is on sale for $2,800 causes me to pause.

On the other hand, that '68 Deluxe Reverb was totally awesome! $999. Had me tempted to reach in for the plastic (and honestly, I'm not unconvinced that a bag of cats thrown into a woodchipper wouldn't sound good through it!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    The only down side to me was I wasn't real keen on the "relic" work the Custom Shop had applied. Oh, I know that's a "thing" with some people, and I hear it also eliminates (or at least minimizes) the fear and pain of the first ding. You see, I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to guitars: I like them looking clean and pristine, and I work to keep them that way. A banged up guitar just seems to me to be disrespectful
    I feel kinda the same way. I don't go nuts cleaning my guitars though I want them to be nice. Besides, how will anyone tell the instrument's real history from the relic treatment.

Nice looking Strat, but I can't see the relicing here... I'd probably reject it out of hand for the same reasons as you.

On the other hand, I stopped buying guitars and started looking for awesome amps. If I ever run out of things to do with my current monster, I'll shop for amps instead of guitars. I've got a killer Strat - single-coils, long scale, vibrato tail, semi hollow - and the SG - hum buckers, short scale, hard tail, solid - and a collection of odd guitars I use for specific things (Variax, baritone, fully hollow w/a P90, etc.). So the biggest changes in tone I can get is going to be had by changing amps or maybe pickups.

I'd stop looking at guitars and buy that Deluxe Reverb if it speaks to you. That guitar won't do as much for your sound as the Deluxe would, and it costs 3 times as much!

I agree with Jim. I love my deluxe--had it about 10 years now, and it just gets sweeter. You've got some good guitars now--I'd go for that Deluxe.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Nice strat but @ almost 3k I would pass.. Now those Deluxes do sound awesome go for it like said above..

DBBL post..

you can get over the relicing. trust me both of my guitars are reliced; I bought both secondhand and have zero regrets. yes I would prefer a guitar with no wear but when you get offered a custom color Cunetto straight up for an OK historic you don't say no. and my CC15 is so good I have a queue of people who want to buy it from me.

so, yeah relicing is weird and I wouldnt buy a new guitar that was reliced but a good deal is a good deal. eventually you get your own dirt in it and it starts to look perfectly natural.

now, would I personally buy that one? no, probably not. if I played it and it was awesome, maybe. I dont think 2.7k is too much to spend on a guitar but there are a LOT of custom shop strats. some are good some are just OK. which one is this guitar? if it stands out compared to other CS Fenders go for it. I'd probably ask for a deal though. guitars like that are hard to move this time of year.

as far as the amp goes, I'd pass. Fender has had some pretty significant reliability issues with those. also they make a gazillion of them so I wouldn't way to pay new price. if the guitar doesn't work out, you could just get an actual 1968 deluxe reverb.

either way good luck and happy hunting.

that's too much IMHO

a 12-year old guitar? Closer to your threshold price and they're asking too much to be willing to cede that big a deal. There's lots of nice CS out there for less.

I've had my Deluxe for over 10 years, and after the initial tubes died, I replaced them. No issues whatsoever. I've not heard of problems with the Deluxes as a model.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    now, would I personally buy that one? no, probably not. if I played it and it was awesome, maybe. I dont think 2.7k is too much to spend on a guitar but there are a LOT of custom shop strats. some are good some are just OK. which one is this guitar? if it stands out compared to other CS Fenders go for it. I'd probably ask for a deal though. guitars like that are hard to move this time of year.
    Once again, right before I decided to pull the trigger, I did a 90° turn and landed something else. I'm going to be traveling next week, so I asked the seller to delay shipment until I would be able to accept delivery, so these aren't my pics. According to the seller, this was owned by the lead guitarist for a one-hit wonder band (I hope not because of the guitar!). The middle pickup was inoperative and has been replaced by a Fender Custom Shop Texas Special. The seller is a professional guitar shop, and the instrument has been professionally set up with Ernie Ball Cobalt 9-42 strings.

TFF Stage Crew

as far as the amp goes, I'd pass. Fender has had some pretty significant reliability issues with those. also they make a gazillion of them so I wouldn't way to pay new price. if the guitar doesn't work out, you could just get an actual 1968 deluxe reverb.
    While there's nothing wrong with trying to a score an "actual" Deluxe Reverb, the moniker "1968" refers to the reissue. DRs were made for many years, as I'm sure you know, and they're wonderful amps in their various incarnations. A buyer would need to be attentive to whether they'd been recapped and modified to grounded AC, both of which would be necessary if the amp is truly stock from 45+ years ago.

That said, I own both a DRRI (for 14 years) and the newer '68 custom DR (for over a year), both of which have never had a single problem. Furthermore I've moderated this Fender-specific forum for a VERY long time and been a member of two others, and I've never seen any evidence of systemic problems with DRRIs. Certainly loads of troubles with the Hot Rod series and the reissue of the Blues Deluxe series, but never with DRRIs or TRRIs, so I respectfully take exception to your suggetion that those amps are, or ever have been, problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    I've moderated this Fender-specific forum for a VERY long time and been a member of two others, and I've never seen any evidence of systemic problems with DRRIs. Certainly loads of troubles with the Hot Rod series and the reissue of the Blues Deluxe series, but never with DRRIs or TRRIs, so I respectfully take exception to your suggetion that those amps are, or ever have been, problematic.
    This.

I've never heard of the DRRIs ever having problems here or on any of the other many forums I frequent. Additionally, when Bill Frisell came to town, he asked to play my friend's DRRI on stage. He doesn't travel with amps, and usually just asks for someone local to lend him a DRRI sight unseen. I think that says a lot there.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    But this?! WOW!! Niiiiiiice.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

I wanted to land the squier version of that 60th anniversary gold strat. Only one I ever saw had a very poor setup which in my experience is not the usual case for a squier off the rack. I think it was shipped in from another store in heavily shop worn condition. It had a very loose output jack, missing switch tip and cheese grater action. I know the guys at the GC pretty well and took to one of them. He tweaked the truss rod, tightened the output jack. It sounded pretty good and was there for a few weeks before it finally sold. I was still trying to build guitars at that time and didn't have the funds to buy it. Now squiers are 400 dollar guitars when they used to be able to be had for a little under 3 bills. Something would have to be sold and I'm not doing that.

While there's nothing wrong with trying to a score an "actual" Deluxe Reverb, the moniker "1968" refers to the reissue... Certainly loads of troubles with the Hot Rod series and the reissue of the Blues Deluxe series, but never with DRRIs or TRRIs, so I respectfully take exception to your suggetion that those amps are, or ever have been, problematic.
    Yep. That's bad information. (Edited to remove snark content.)
    Last edited by Gravity Jim; 01-02-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    Posters who humblebrag about their own super-expensive gear while sharing misinformation with an annoying confidence are what the Ignore List is for. :)
    that's the literal most hypocritical thing I've ever read on this forum

like half of your post are the most transparent anti-snobbery rationalization of your pocketbook I've ever had the misfortune to read on ANY forum.

of all the people to accuse ANYONE of talking about a subject they know nothing about, you are number one on the list.

maybe you can go cry a bit more over another instance of Renderit tearing you apart in ways you don't even understand.

ps ignore me if you like as per your original comment at least I'm not a complete troglodyte like you are.

While there's nothing wrong with trying to a score an "actual" Deluxe Reverb, the moniker "1968" refers to the reissue. DRs were made for many years, as I'm sure you know, and they're wonderful amps in their various incarnations. A buyer would need to be attentive to whether they'd been recapped and modified to grounded AC, both of which would be necessary if the amp is truly stock from 45+ years ago.

That said, I own both a DRRI (for 14 years) and the newer '68 custom DR (for over a year), both of which have never had a single problem. Furthermore I've moderated this Fender-specific forum for a VERY long time and been a member of two others, and I've never seen any evidence of systemic problems with DRRIs. Certainly loads of troubles with the Hot Rod series and the reissue of the Blues Deluxe series, but never with DRRIs or TRRIs, so I respectfully take exception to your suggetion that those amps are, or ever have been, problematic.
    the 68s have had reverb tank issues.

the regular DRRI has been rock solid. that is not in question. never has been never will be I'm only talking about the 68.

additionally, your anecdotal experience does not outweigh the stats (nor, btw, does it outweigh any other individuals anecdotal experience).

and yes I am aware the original is a different matter, but with the amount of money we're talking about the level of challenge of finding a properly sorted drip edge DR is minimal.

that's the literal most hypocritical thing I've ever read on this forum
    I was too late in editing that post, so I apologize for the tone, but not the intent. Your posts are filled with inaccuracies and references to your wealth. From my socioeconomic strata, spending $2700 on a screwed-together guitar is just showing off.

i also question your understanding of the word "hypocritical."

the 68s have had reverb tank issues.

the regular DRRI has been rock solid. that is not in question. never has been never will be I'm only talking about the 68.

additionally, your anecdotal experience does not outweigh the stats (nor, btw, does it outweigh any other individuals anecdotal experience).

and yes I am aware the original is a different matter, but with the amount of money we're talking about the level of challenge of finding a properly sorted drip edge DR is minimal.
    You have stats?? Let's see 'em.

Back to the guitars, OS that is a sweet looking strat man. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    I was too late in editing that post, so I apologize for the tone, but not the intent. Your posts are filled with inaccuracies and references to your wealth. From my socioeconomic strata, spending $2700 on a screwed-together guitar is just showing off.

i also question your understanding of the word "hypocritical."
    as per usual, you just love making yourself the victim.

guess what, this aint about you. the OP had enough to spend, I thought he should consider whether or not the one he posted was the right one to spend that much on.

yes I own expensive gear, and I was hoping to help the OP decide on a big purchase speaking from my own experience.

what you can and cannot afford is a you problem, not a me problem. trust me, I don't care what you own and play but when you start going after the people on this forum, especially the actual good posters (and btw, I dont claim to be one), because they own good gear it just reeks of pathetic sadness.

and I'm calling you a hypocrite for trying to make the statement that people talk about something they don't know about when clearly this stuff is out of your experience as per your own damn words. at least I own a custom shop strat. what about you? oh right, that would be showing off. so, as far as Im concerned, you should stfu about custom shop strats. oh, and you are literally a hypocrite.

also how sad do you have to be to take a point about getting over relicing as showing off?

man I'll bet my submariner people hate you irl too.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Back to the guitars, OS that is a sweet looking strat man. Enjoy!

Thanks, melody. Yes, back to the topic.

I received this from the seller:

If you're a collector, perhaps you may appreciate the provenance of this guitar, owned by Dave Erkin, veteran of J.Frank Wilson & The Cavaliers. Regardless, you may rest assured that this Strat is of exceptional quality for Mexican made instruments and is near mint condition. My photos were not of the best quality and do not do justice to the finish. There are no dings or scratches and the gold is not tarnished, as the photos may seem to appear.

J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers were a one-hit wonder band in the 1960s. They scored a hit in 1964 with "Last Kiss."

According to Wikipedia,

In late 1964, Lewis Elliott recruited an Oklahoma guitarist, Dave Erkin, who was an airman on active duty at Goodfellow AFB and who continued with the Cavaliers up to December 31, 1965

I find it mildly interesting to know some history of a guitar. It isn't vital to my enjoyment of it, but it makes for good story-telling.