Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I joined the club

Re: I joined the club

ok - I will post a couple of new pics at some point -
    this is new to me.....the SG I mean......
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

TFF Stage Crew

Nice guitar! You look nothing like your avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Nice guitar! You look nothing like your avatar
    THAT is a Bonus!

I was in a small studio with her and a friend over the weekend - took the SG thinking I would have time to restring......nope.
    Had a blast just the same -

I don't know if I will get better pics, but will get some of the guitar anyway
    Kenny Belmont

I'm getting so damned old I just wondered if she was your daughter...
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Do I see a brown SG in that picture? You definitely should start a thread with more pictures of it at the Gibson section, Kenny!

Willie, I would have thought of that too, but since I am beginning to get used to being single, and the age of the girls I'm dating is about 20, me being much older, I thought more like "girlfriend" than "daughter".

TFF Stage Crew

Cool looking Gretsch, too, btw

what kind of light was throwing that blue spot?

hahaha -
    That blue actually looked good once we turned off the room lights -

They were doing a live video/recording type thing with 3 cameras. I did the sound in the room which was a little different that his typical studio recording stuff, and they used ambient mics to record it, for more of a live feel. Just a fun thing. With the blue one one side, and red on the other, and another blue from across the room, it was pretty warm looking - I can't wait to see it.
    Kenny Belmont

LOL, I was curious about the type of light be it halogen, LED, coleman lantern with a blue hurricane shroud

I'm really into lighting these days and if I had the moolah I'd indulge in all sorts of indirect mood lighting and theatre style stuff for stairs and hallways, etc.

believe it or not that is a single cheap Par light - I replaced the flood bulb with a cheap LED one, and put the gel back on - I have two I keep in a case with short extension cords, in case I run into a situation I need them. I bolted a cheap clamp on it - like a wood clamp from lowes, and it works in a pinch. Not a lot - but more than you had if it wasn't there, and handy in a pinch. I am actually looking at a set of these - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...z-t-par-system

which is what we used in that blue man video (belongs to a friend) two trees chained BATH the area in light - with a LOT of settings.
    Kenny Belmont

This evening I was fiddling around and applying some Fast Fret on my SG's strings and thinking about how I bought this guitar, about why in the world I'd choose a Worn Brown '61 Reissue. It reminded of my earlier thoughts, so I remembered this thread and thought I'd post again.

Well, I love the looks of a traditional heritage cherry SG, one with the right bevels, trapezoid inlays, binding and all. But curiously, whenever I thought of a dude playing an SG, I mean the idea of what an SG was all about in my head was this:

1967 or maybe 1973. A guy in a brown fringed skin jacket, mullet and mustache, playing a brownish-looking (maybe faded and road worn by lots of use... Or perhaps a stripped down/refinished one) SG in a smoky roadhouse in the middle of nowhere, by a dusry road. Lots of bikes parked in line outside.

And curiously, the SG that was more available and which I ended up buying was... a worn brown '61 reissue. There were some Specials too, and some fancy colored standards, but the one I instinctively went for was the 61RI

Well, I ain't got the mustache, nor wear a fringed buckskin jacket, but here's me in 2017 playing a road worn brown '61RI SG (which looks pretty much like what I had in my head) at a bar for an audience with some bikers thrown in...

I didn't exactly "like" the brown finish at first. I think I might have said that in some post, 'cause it isn't "vintage correct" for a '61 SG, but aside from custom orders, many people abused, refinished and stripped down SGs back in the day, so no problem with it being brown. A lot of them were.

I guess that's my SG story.

I sincerely love that finish. It looks so at home on an SG. I like the block-inlay's on mine but I kind of wish that it had the trapezoids like yours. I dunno about the buckskin or mustache but you're just about one silver cross and leather jacket away from looking like Tony Iomi's cousin.

I like ebony boards in general so I see where you're coming from. If you're so inclined, you could always dye that fret-board to darken it. I've used Higgins India ink with great success but I don't want to recommend it because of the potentially negative effects that it can have on certain boards. The success is dependent upon several factors such as the type of wood and whether or not the wood has been previously treated/ finished. Another reason that I'd be hesitant to advise dying it is because of the chance that it may affect the integrity of the wood... causing swelling and subsequent related issues like frets lifting, cracks developing, etc. If used sparingly and carefully however, the India ink can really work out well in some instances.

Honestly, I'd leave it alone unless it really bothers you and you're willing to risk it.

Great pics as usual. I love the shot of it on the table... looks sweet!

I like a bit of gloss, but the finish on your SG looks great. And you look all mojo-ish, playing your SG like a South American rock god! You can be proud of that guitar. I don't think I'll ever need another solid body guitar beyond my Tele, Strat, and LP, but seeing your SG gives me a touch of GAS. I'll just have to live vicariously through you for now.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    1967 or maybe 1973. A guy in a brown fringed skin jacket, mullet and mustache, playing a brownish-looking (maybe faded and road worn by lots of use... Or perhaps a stripped down/refinished one) SG in a smoky roadhouse in the middle of nowhere, by a dusry road. Lots of bikes parked in line outside.
    Conversely, My memories are of a long haired blonde in silver spandex spankin' out the tunes in a 80's hair band. But thank God I quit doin' that last week...
    Last edited by renderit; 05-25-2017 at 06:18 AM. Reason: removed pictures that offended.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post

This is a '63 I got for nothing because GC didn't know it was a 63. Best P90 I have EVER heard.
    Awesome guitar! One of my favorite guitars ever was an old amp tech's early '60s SG shaped Les Paul Junior!

Believe it or not, my '64 Epiphone Olympic weighs even less- 5 pounds 8 ounces! It's unbelievably light! Of course, there's nothing to the guitar. It's also incredibly resonant! The wood is awesome. It sounds great unplugged on the couch and incredible plugged into my Soldano Astroverb cranked up.

Kalamazoo Epis are wonderful!

Forum Member

Awesome! I WILL buy one if I cross the path. Epis are sweet.

Forum Member

A belated congratulations on the SG! I have one just like it. Worn Brown, 57's pickups in a 61 RI. I like it!

When did this weighing your guitar become "a thing"? Who even gives a crap? I can honestly say that in over forty years of performing I've never had to weigh my guitar before a show. I know my Les Paul is heavier than my Heritage, and my Strat falls somewhere between, but that's all I know.

OK, now I need to know. How does weighing your guitar affect your music? Is this another one of those "tone" things? Is it some sort of bragging rights deal?

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    When did this weighing your guitar become "a thing"? Who even gives a crap? I can honestly say that in over forty years of performing I've never had to weigh my guitar before a show. I know my Les Paul is heavier than my Heritage, and my Strat falls somewhere between, but that's all I know.

OK, now I need to know. How does weighing your guitar affect your music? Is this another one of those "tone" things? Is it some sort of bragging rights deal?

Chuck
    In all my years of playing I have ALWAYS been interested in what they weigh. After playing a Norlin Custom that was around 12 pounds for 10 years I really like them light.

Never mind that it is the second question that seems to be asked. And most guitar stores list it in their specs. "Tone" things? Never have seen a correlation. It does affect my music in that after 3 hours with a heavy beast I am not a bouncy lighthearted person anymore. I suppose that may be reflected in my "tone" and general stage presence.

Now tell me, since I don't play live every week is my opinion here worth anything anyways? I used to enjoy this place, but of late it seems as though the point is to attack anybody who generally likes and (God forbid) collects or buys many guitars and does not perform for whatever reason.
    Last edited by renderit; 05-25-2017 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffp View Post
    A belated congratulations on the SG! I have one just like it. Worn Brown, 57's pickups in a 61 RI. I like it!

PICS!

Now tell me, since I don't play live every week is my opinion here worth anything anyways? I used to enjoy this place, but of late it seems as though the point is to attack anybody who generally likes and (God forbid) collects or buys many guitars and does not perform for whatever reason.

FWIW, your opinion means something to me. But I'm merely a closet guitarist, and know next to nothing about electronics, equipment, guitar structure, music theory and playing. It's certainly not my place to be offensive, argumentative, or falsely superior. I'm just gratified that people on this forum even bother to respond to me.

Chuck
    I for one use the weight of the guitar to inform some decisions about how I'm going to build a guitar. It's simply just another parameter in the overall equation. It's not the end all be all, but I do use the info. At the end of the day, the guitar is the sum of all its parts. I do think that it gets blown out of proportion on the internet. But I can't believe that you, as an engineer, will say that the weight of certain materials doesn't influence the workings of a design... I think the guys who go solely on weight don't take into account density and other concerns. Much like guys who judge pickups only by DC resistance, not thinking about magnets, coil shape/size, baseplate material, winding pattern.

To me it all kinda matters, but then again it really doesn't matter. All that REALLY matters is if the guitar sounds good.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Whether I'm playing my lightweight Epi Olympic (it feels like a toy) or my much more solid feeling maple Carvin DC150 (it feels like furniture) does affect my playing and my stage presence- both in positive, but different, ways.

I think tone is a factor as well. The density of wood does seem to make a difference. Bragging rights? Why not? As long as it's not taken more seriously than making music.

On a more practical note, my larger bodied 9.5 pound ES-135 was just too heavy for me to be comfortable with because I have a bad back. I prefer to keep my guitars under about 8.5 pounds.

Nevermind Chuck, I don't think he meant to be rude.

he's just a bit harsh in his posts, and when he disagrees he has a slightly unpleasant way of showing it, but he's cool.

and yes, your opinions are highly appreciated.

TFF Stage Crew

Yes, weighing guitars is a "thing" & people have been interested in this info for as long as I can remember. It is not unusual at all.
    Offshore Angler, I would like to encourage you to think twice before posting so that you may stop coming off like a prick. This is the second conflict you've been involved in recently, & has not escaped notice.

Forum Member

Nevermind Chuck, I don't think he meant to be rude.

he's just a bit harsh in his posts, and when he disagrees he has a slightly unpleasant way of showing it, but he's cool.

and yes, your opinions are highly appreciated.
    I was rude!

And all this aside and turning it back to a more valid answer, it is TOTALLY AWESOME when you can get monster tone from a light guitar! That is what the SG generally means to me.
    Last edited by renderit; 05-26-2017 at 04:40 AM.

Holy sheep-dip. All I did was ask a few freaking questions. Some people get all defensive and now I'm the bad guy? WTF?!!!!!!

Reread my post. I asked a few questions. I gave an opinion. That's all that happened.

It's factually documented.

If you want to read something into it that isn't there fine, but maybe some people need to be a little less thin skinned, and have a laugh once in a while. This place used to be fun you know.

As far as the attackers, seen 'em come, seen 'em go. They all usually get so offended over some trivial nothing that they write a manifesto over why this place sucks and how every one else on the forum is to blame, LOL!

I'm a big boy. If you disagree with me and wish to offer a differing opinion I'll not only consider it, I'll defend your right to it. But - be civil and no name-calling please. In all my years here, I don't remember ever calling anybody a name because I disagreed with them. (Other than in jest in the good 'ol days.)

I've even invited anyone on this forum who wants to, to come to my upcoming 60th birthday party and rub elbows and jam with guitar and rock royalty. So far only one taker, who will be driving over 6 hours to be part of the event.

People on this forum know me personally, have played with me, some have been to my house. I don't feel the need to withhold my opinions as long as I do it in a civil manner. If that's not the case then fine.

I realize that civil discourse is becoming a lost art among today's society, but I simply ask this. Next time I post something that challenges your paradigms, ask yourself "Am I taking this personally?" before posting a name-calling response.

Fair enough?

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Civil discourse in written form begins with word choice. When you bait and lead with "who even gives a crap" and proceed into "tone things" and "bragging rights" I propose you read your own posts sir. Then I propose you try to stop playing the wounded party and man up. Rudeness evidenced in your post was in no way "civil". I guess you are right though. I must have a thin skin. And I never laugh. And I name call all the time.

By the way. Post where I name called at all. Lose the chip. It's apparently clouding your vision.

Sounds like an awesome party though. And I honestly still like you enough that if I were still in upstate I would go. And no, not to throw tomatoes but to bring you beers on your birthday.

Holy sheep-dip. All I did was ask a few freaking questions. Some people get all defensive and now I'm the bad guy? WTF?!!!!!!

Reread my post. I asked a few questions. I gave an opinion. That's all that happened.

It's factually documented.

If you want to read something into it that isn't there fine, but maybe some people need to be a little less thin skinned, and have a laugh once in a while. This place used to be fun you know.

As far as the attackers, seen 'em come, seen 'em go. They all usually get so offended over some trivial nothing that they write a manifesto over why this place sucks and how every one else on the forum is to blame, LOL!

I'm a big boy. If you disagree with me and wish to offer a differing opinion I'll not only consider it, I'll defend your right to it. But - be civil and no name-calling please. In all my years here, I don't remember ever calling anybody a name because I disagreed with them. (Other than in jest in the good 'ol days.)

I've even invited anyone on this forum who wants to, to come to my upcoming 60th birthday party and rub elbows and jam with guitar and rock royalty. So far only one taker, who will be driving over 6 hours to be part of the event.

People on this forum know me personally, have played with me, some have been to my house. I don't feel the need to withhold my opinions as long as I do it in a civil manner. If that's not the case then fine.

I realize that civil discourse is becoming a lost art among today's society, but I simply ask this. Next time I post something that challenges your paradigms, ask yourself "Am I taking this personally?" before posting a name-calling response.

Fair enough?

Chuck
    That's why I myself said you were a cool guy, though a bit too harsh when you disagree with someone. But that's your own way.

I think this place is still good indeed, and situations like this one prove that point. We can speak to each other as grown men and have our differences sorted out without any damage and no one leaving the forum.

Sounds like an awesome party though. And I honestly still like you enough that if I were still in upstate I would go. And no, not to throw tomatoes but to bring you beers on your birthday.

I would go too if I lived nearby. Too bad I can't visit any of you guys for now, living in Brazil. But as soon as I arrange a trip to the US, which I'm doing my best to accomplish in 2018, I'll certainly invite the ones who are close for a beer and a guitar jam!

I would go too if I lived nearby. Too bad I can't visit any of you guys for now, living in Brazil. But as soon as I arrange a trip to the US, which I'm doing my best to accomplish in 2018, I'll certainly invite the ones who are close for a beer and a guitar jam!
    <THREAD HIJACK ALERT>

Hey Sérgio, when is the best time to visit Brazil? I'm looking to burn some vacation time and have never been to South America. IIRC, the southern hemisphere should be in Autumn right about now, with Winter only a few weeks away, correct? If I wanted to visit in October or thereabouts, would that be a good time?

</END THREAD HIJACK ALERT>

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    No worries... You're a class act, my friend...
    No, I am most certainly not "a class act". But most of all please don't "saint" me or make me out to be something I am not. I am a joker, a fool, a ham, an idiot who loves to joke around and quite possibly loves guitars more than anything other than family and friends. I do not want any sides taken or kudos sent. Simply put, I felt somebody pissed down my neck and I refuse to act like a sheep and bath in it. I wish Mr. Offshore nothing but the best. He has been here longer, has more knowledge than I and is probably better looking to boot. I am also sure he is 99.99375629% better player than I will EVER be. And I am certainly not an attacker. But you better bring the damn dictionary and thesaurus if you want to parse words with my ass...

I am done with this discussion and I am over my tantrum Mr. Offshore. I do wish you a Happy Birthday and many more. Sorry I got "touchy" on this. I probably should have laughed it off. Hell, I usually do. Must have been a bad day. I've not been myself lately.

No, I am most certainly not "a class act". But most of all please don't "saint" me or make me out to be something I am not. I am a joker, a fool, a ham, an idiot who loves to joke around and quite possibly loves guitars more than anything other than family and friends. I do not want any sides taken or kudos sent. Simply put, I felt somebody pissed down my neck and I refuse to act like a sheep and bath in it. I wish Mr. Offshore nothing but the best. He has been here longer, has more knowledge than I and is probably better looking to boot. I am also sure he is 99.99375629% better player than I will EVER be. And I am certainly not an attacker. But you better bring the damn dictionary and thesaurus if you want to parse words with my ass...

I am done with this discussion and I am over my tantrum Mr. Offshore. I do wish you a Happy Birthday and many more. Sorry I got "touchy" on this. I probably should have laughed it off. Hell, I usually do. Must have been a bad day. I've not been myself lately.

No worries, it's all good. Feel free to bust my chops anytime you wish.

Forum Member

And you mine sir! By the weigh, I am quite heavy now...

Forum Member

[IMG][/IMG]

Forum Member

Mine is a few years old, barely used.
    , and a bad p/u selector switch already!

There's always the old shoe polish trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffp View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Can't see it

There's always the old shoe polish trick.
    People told me that tru oil does a great job too, but I think I'll spray it with nitro eventually. And maybe have it painted cherry.

Forum Member

[IMG][/IMG]