Thread: Everyone Says I Gotta Get an SG

Everyone Says I Gotta Get an SG

Rather than muddy up an already convoluted previous thread, I thought I'd start one on this topic alone.

Some of you will remember that I expressed interest in a limited edition Gibson SG Naked, a picture of which I posted in said previous thread. I also posted on the Les Paul Forum, and I know some of you inhabit that space, too.

Well, I was somewhat taken to the woodshed by some, saying the Grover tuners on the Naked were a recipe for disaster ("neck dive" is the term used), and other extremely opinionated responses. I think I've decided to pass on the Naked.

But, not to be deterred, off I went, browser-a-blazin' and came across this little nugget:

Before I launch into the details, I'll repeat what I said over on LPF: I dislike red, black and white guitars. Most SGs are red, black or white. Maybe that's why the Naked appealed to me so much.

So, here's a BLUE SG. It's probably a 2013. Listed as an "SG Future Tribute," which I believe were only made in 2013. The copy reads: "Solid Mahogany body Mahogany neck with new Asymmetrical profile Rosewood fingerboard with trapezoid inlays Zebra-coil '57 Classic humbucking pickups in the neck and bridge Steinberger gearless tuners."

From what I've read, the Steinberger tuners are quite the thing! A lot of people are put off by the aesthetics of the tuners, but the practicality of them outweighs looks, in my opinion. Besides, the looks don't bother me. So, in a nutshell, is this worth the $900 (includes shipping) being asked? I viewed the Sweetwater video on this guitar (they are no longer in stock) and it looks and sounds impressive. The seller says, "This guitar will stand up to any SG Standard! Full SG sound with 24 jumbo frets!" Yeah, there's that 24 fret thing again. Not a problem for me, and it doesn't have Grover tuners, so maybe "neck dive" isn't an issue?

What thinks you?

Re: Everyone Says I Gotta Get an SG

I'd say that guitar looks damned interesting!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Oops, I Did It Again

In the immortal words of Britney Spears (?), "Oops, I did it again." Cruising around the 'Net, I found an SG Future Tribute in Sunburst (not my favorite color) on auction, with less than an hour to go, so I foolishly placed the minimum bid. You guessed it, I won! $545.19, including shipping.

I still have the blue SG bookmarked, as I may wind up selling/trading this one, but at least I'll have some feeling for whether or not an SG "fits" me.

P.S. I just realized that I have never played any of the guitars I've bought before buying them. I did play my ES-225, but I traded for it, not paid for it, so that's the lone exception. I think my approach to guitar playing is to do the best with what you have. I think each of my guitars gets something different out of me (however, my EC Strat is just an absolute dream to play -- if I could only have one **[shudder]** that would be it).

i love my Strats and Tele, but I've been playing my Les Paul and Martin 90% of the time lately.

Gibson does it right, no matter what folks might say.

What pickups does it have?

I think it looks unique and handsome
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    i love my Strats and Tele, but I've been playing my Les Paul and Martin 90% of the time lately.

Gibson does it right, no matter what folks might say.

What pickups does it have?

I think it looks unique and handsome
    Already shipped, I'm told. Pics when it arrives! The site pics are pretty poor. Here's a closer look.

It's got a pair of zebra-coil¯ ™57 Classic humbuckers, with the bridge pickup being "slightly overwound." The Gibson marketing literature says, "The ™57 Classics recreate Gibson' esteemed PAF humbuckers by using genuine Alnico 2 magnets and 42-AWG enamel-coated wire. They are also enhanced with evenly matched coils for a smooth, singing tone, and wax potting to combat microphonic squeal at high volume levels. The result is a pickup that is thick, rich, and warm, yet clear and articulate”perfect for the broad demands of today' music. The traditional wiring complement of an independent volume and tone control per pickup plus a three-way toggle selector switch allows a broad range of sonic variations." Most of which is a lot of hooey to me, anyway. We'll see.

I love 57s and have put them in several guitars. Until my Les Paul, I never had guitars that could make them shine. Now the LP just makes them sing, and I suspect they'll sound great on an SG as well.

Seeing this thread makes me miss my SG, I forget which model it was, but I've never been good with remembering Gibson nomenclature...

I think the 57's should sound great in that! After tinkering around with my SG I came to the realization that I prefer low wound HB's, ESPECIALLY in an SG. I ended up with a Duncan Antiquity in the bridge, and either a Burstbucker or 57 Classic in the neck. I don't really remember as that was like 10 years ago. While others seem to get good tones with hotter pups, the guitar really seemed to open up and "breathe" when I made the switch to lower DC pups. I think it might be due to the SG being all mahogany, which I find being mid heavy. This only seems to be accentuated with higher DC winds.

Congrats on your new guitar!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

My 2013 Standard came with the classic '57s and I really like them. The bridge pickup is off the hook!

Congrats on a real deal. I dig those Steinberger tuners, but I have to say I'm glad mine has the green keystones. It just looks right.

My ES-135 had '57 Classics. They were great in that guitar!

I agree- you gotta have an SG, or an SG type of guitar. Mine is a Carvin DC-150.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    My ES-135 had '57 Classics. They were great in that guitar!

I agree- you gotta have an SG, or an SG type of guitar. Mine is a Carvin DC-150.
    By the end of the week I'll have TWO.

Stay tuned...

I had Sperzels on mine, but had custom aged Keystone buttons made for them. No offense, but the Steinbergers look weird to me. I'm sure they're WAY better than others, I'd change them if it was mine. Not slamming you, I just REALLY like Keystones on an SG
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"