Thread: Mystery Guitar! HELP - Cant figure out what my Strat is!

Forum Member

Mystery Guitar! HELP - Cant figure out what my Strat is!

Hi

I recently purchased a used 2004 (Maybe 2005) American Stratocaster, Surf Green. Serial # Z4028405

I am trying to figure out exactly what model it is! It has the Cutaway neck heel and the Schaller Lock tuners, and a roller nut and Fender Noiseless Pickups which suggests a Deluxe. HOWEVER, the serial number does not start with a "D" which is the case with all Deluxes.

The surf green made me think maybe it is a vintage model. However again, the Serial number would start with a "V".

Now I know you can simply customize add the lock tuners, roller nut and noisless pickups, but you cant add a cutaway heel. What is this guitar? Ive only seen the cutaway neck heel on Special deluxe or anniversary models.

What is this guitar!?

If you have any suggestions I am all ears. Thanks!

Re: Mystery Guitar! HELP - Cant figure out what my Strat is!

Well, you can add a sculpted heel by swapping out the body. It sounds like you have a nicely tricked-out partscaster.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    Well, you can add a sculpted heel by swapping out the body. It sounds like you have a nicely tricked-out partscaster.

Thanks Jim for your reply.

I tend to agree with you that this has to be the case. Its the only explanation for the sculpted heel. But why on Earth would you take apart a deluxe American Strat, which the body has to be from, just to create a "Standard" (by Serial Number) American strat? Thats de-valuing the guitar and it makes zero sense. This is really a head scratcher. It could be he destroyed the neck on his deluxe and replaced with a standard neck? Bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Freestone View Post
    Thanks Jim for your reply.

I tend to agree with you that this has to be the case. Its the only explanation for the sculpted heel. But why on Earth would you take apart a deluxe American Strat, which the body has to be from, just to create a "Standard" (by Serial Number) American strat? Thats de-valuing the guitar and it makes zero sense. This is really a head scratcher. It could be he destroyed the neck on his deluxe and replaced with a standard neck? Bizarre.
    People build partscasters out of whatever is handy, whatever they like the looks of at Stratosphere (an eBay seller who strips Fender guitars and sells the pieces), so it's not a matter of evaluating the value of the parts. Heck, I've got $1,200 in a Warmoth Strat that I couldn't sell for $500, but it's the best damn Stratocaster ever because it's put together just the way I wanted it.

Jim beat me to it! You gotta remember that Fenders are modular, Leo designed them to be easy to work on or change. Sometimes people change things around. Clapton bought several Strats back in the 70's, then mixed and matched parts until he got what he wanted. Unlike Gibson and other brands, Fenders are usually hotrodded and messed with. If it plays and sounds good then that's all that matters.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    Jim beat me to it! You gotta remember that Fenders are modular, Leo designed them to be easy to work on or change. Sometimes people change things around. Clapton bought several Strats back in the 70's, then mixed and matched parts until he got what he wanted. Unlike Gibson and other brands, Fenders are usually hotrodded and messed with. If it plays and sounds good then that's all that matters.

Thanks Chuckocaster.The body is obviously from a Jeff Beck Model. It does play well and I bought it because I love the surf green.

If it IS a parts-caster , did I over pay at $700?

Quote Originally Posted by Freestone View Post
    Thanks Chuckocaster.The body is obviously from a Jeff Beck Model. It does play well and I bought it because I love the surf green.

If it IS a parts-caster , did I over pay at $700?
    No, because you got all good US made parts, judging by what you say. Besides, as Chuck said, Fenders (especially strats) are MEANT to be turnt into partscasters. A partscaster is not necessarily a "mutt" or a lesser quality guitar. If it has become a good player, and looks good, that's what matters.

P.S. Maybe the dude that owned it before you didn't like the neck profile or damaged the original neck.

Seems like a good deal! I doubt you could buy the parts for that much. Maybe?

I'm forever tinkering with my Fenders, more so than I should. But it's real common to find nice Partscasters. Someone built their dream guitar and either got bored are started another project.

I picked up a Parts Tele for $75! All the best parts! Even had Fender Custom Shop pups and an Emerson paper in oil cap!!! Whoever built it didn't know how to setup a guitar. So I totally lucked out!!!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"