Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Dream Amp is here. (Fuchs ODS content)

My Dream Amp is here. (Fuchs ODS content)

Some of you guys might remember my Eganter amps, which were really nice for the price (and are still a great value). But as well as it worked for my little studio thing, I had always dreamed of a truly boutique amplifier, one that produced the smooth, even drive and sustain associated with Dumble amps.

Well, this year I went nuts and bought what I truly wanted: A Fuchs ODS.

The Precious is a factory-fresh Fuchs ODS 50 head, connected to a Fuchs 1x12 Mini cabinet (which lives inside a closet isolation booth). Oh my god. There is absolutely no better sounding amplifier anywhere. Being in the middle of some kind of hotbed of boutique development (Mesa Engineering, Two-Rock, etc.), it was ironic that I tried every stupid expensive amp in Sonoma County, and ended up sending away to New Jersey for ultimate tone.

A song I recently finished (are they ever really finished?) is in the Woodshed's Songwriter's Lounge forum, if you care to hear it. I have never been more in love with a hunk of gear.

I'd post pictures, but I've always hosted them in a back-room folder on my website, which is currently in transition... my Dreamhost account is now merely pointing to my new Squarespace site, and so I don't have direct FTP access yet. In the meantime, here's one that looks just like it, on the road with the guitar player in Umphrey's McGee.

Last edited by Gravity Jim; 10-24-2016 at 02:20 PM.

Re: My Dream Amp is here. (Fuchs ODS content)

congrats; Andy makes a killer amp and he is in the upper echelon for sure.

out of curiosity, does he ship all of his amps with reverb? that's sort of a hot button; some people don't like it (though I definitely do).

since you said you hit the expensive Sonoma area amps, did you try the Coral? I think that's the closest Two Rock to an ODS, but it's certainly not like a TS-1 or ODS level close to the original. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts; I have considered picking up a Coral.

I played a Two-Rock Studio Pro 35, and it's a very sweet amp, quite a bit like the ODS. In the end, I went for the Fuchs because of Andy's approach to gain-staging: inout and output levels on the OD section, a fully buffered effects loop, the artist footswitch, and Andy even installed a half-power switch for me at no charge. Also, my guitar teacher is a Fuchs player and his Strat tone can be sliced and served like butter toffee.

You can always turn the reverb off, but it's one of the best on-board 'verbs I ever heard. Crank it to 11 and it gets surfy, but never clangy or swampy.

I also played a couple of well-regarded Mesas, and wanted to love them (it would have saved me a fistful of cash to buy a 5:25), but, sadly, I hated them. Not my cuppa.

So, I wanted to support the local boys. But I do use EMGs in several guitars, and they're made right down the road from me. I got a factory tour from their marketing guy: still a small company with a human heart.

Sounds like a dream amp! I'll listen to the clip later.

Here's a photo of the new baby (well, a year old, now) in my room.

https://goo.gl/photos/eaxsmWi1RZWZTHn27

That's a beauty and I love the sound!

I'd love to try one. For a while, I was messing with smoother, fatter sounds from the Zen Drive and Mesa amps but I found that I really wanted a crunchier Marshall sound. I've been messing with a Soldano Astorverb, Marshall DSL401, Catalinbread DLS MKIII and a ProCo Turbo Rat to get there.

I'm having fun!

Congrats, man. That really is a fine piece of amp gear.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    That's a beauty and I love the sound!

I'd love to try one. For a while, I was messing with smoother, fatter sounds from the Zen Drive and Mesa amps but I found that I really wanted a crunchier Marshall sound. I've been messing with a Soldano Astorverb, Marshall DSL401, Catalinbread DLS MKIII and a ProCo Turbo Rat to get there.

I'm having fun!
    Don... have you tried a Crowther Hot Cake? Really nice classic rock crunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    I have not. It sounds like I should. Thanks.

Oops! Double post!

Wow, cool!

Having one's hands on one's dream amp is a thing to behold.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    It's a real "pinch me" experience.

I'm so new to electric guitar playing that I have no idea what a dream amp is like. I'm still learning my way around a Fender Champion 40 and a Fender Mustang II, both modeling amps.

Forum Member

I almost bought one of those! They are awesome beasts for sure and impressive as heck. Someday I will have one I hope. I stumbled onto a Longhorn Vaquero used about that time and fell in love with it.

I guess a "dream amp" is one that produces your most sought-after and admired tones, and feels "alive" while doing it. The Fuchs ODS is a "Dumble" style amp (but not a clone... Andy was developing his designs at the same time as Howard, as a part of a club of amp designers searching for that sound, along with the guys at Two-Rock and several others). It features a "cascading" gain staging, and a parallel overdrive scheme. It even has controls for setting the input to and output from the "OD" voicing. The cleans are immaculate Fender-y clean, the drive anything you want it to be.

Renderit, it is everything you say: a living, breathing beast with a carefully designed leash on it. :)

Plus which, built like a tank. Clear baltic birch cabs, 1/4" anodized aircraft aluminum chassis, massive freaking transformers: the head alone weighs 45 pounds!

I like that you can play rock or jazz by just flipping a switch!

How 'bout some clips? I'd like to hear a Les Paul through that bad boy! Do you like better open or closed-back?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

http://m.soundcloud.com/jim-bordner/so-damn-blue

OA, the guitars on this were played with the ODS. They're mostly pretty clean.

Forum Member

I guess a "dream amp" is one that produces your most sought-after and admired tones, and feels "alive" while doing it. The Fuchs ODS is a "Dumble" style amp (but not a clone... Andy was developing his designs at the same time as Howard, as a part of a club of amp designers searching for that sound, along with the guys at Two-Rock and several others). It features a "cascading" gain staging, and a parallel overdrive scheme. It even has controls for setting the input to and output from the "OD" voicing. The cleans are immaculate Fender-y clean, the drive anything you want it to be.

Renderit, it is everything you say: a living, breathing beast with a carefully designed leash on it. :)

Plus which, built like a tank. Clear baltic birch cabs, 1/4" anodized aircraft aluminum chassis, massive freaking transformers: the head alone weighs 45 pounds!
    That's the same on the Vaquero. A pedal lets you cascade the FET, OD and Preamp boosts in any combo on top of Volume, Master Volume and Gain. It is very Dumblesque, just a different take. If you love the Fuchs (and who wouldn't!) this is different sounding in many ways. Just tell the wife you need both. That's what I am going to try anyways because I want the very same one you got. It has "something" that speaks to me. As does the Vaq in a different way...

<span style="color:#ffd700;"><font size="3"><span style="font-family:comic sans ms;">

That sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    That's the same on the Vaquero. A pedal lets you cascade the FET, OD and Preamp boosts in any combo on top of Volume, Master Volume and Gain. It is very Dumblesque, just a different take. If you love the Fuchs (and who wouldn't!) this is different sounding in many ways. Just tell the wife you need both. That's what I am going to try anyways because I want the very same one you got. It has "something" that speaks to me. As does the Vaq in a different way...

<span style="color:#ffd700;"><font size="3"><span style="font-family:comic sans ms;">
    Dang! I think I need to increase my amp budget!!!

Jim, sounds great, definitely can hear the Fagan influence too... Around 2:25 there's a really cool dynamic passage that lets the amp shine through.

(BTW, nice job keeping Rhodes and Hammond/Leslie separated in the mix. Ain't easy.)

That you on vocals? Sounds really good.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Thanks, Don & OA. Much obliged! Chuck, I'm everything but the drums, which are cut together from some groove samples I recorded at the Fort Wayne studio (drummer Dave Seyboldt).

I had seen that Vaquero clip before. A great sounding amp, no doubt.

Forum Member

Thanks, Don & OA. Much obliged! Chuck, I'm everything but the drums, which are cut together from some groove samples I recorded at the Fort Wayne studio (drummer Dave Seyboldt).

I had seen that Vaquero clip before. A great sounding amp, no doubt.
    It is not as flexible as your Fuchs. Like I said, I got it used and the tone I would call Texas Blues meets Dumble.

It is not as flexible as your Fuchs. Like I said, I got it used and the tone I would call Texas Blues meets Dumble.
    It still sounds like a riot to play. But yeah, as a Swiss-Army "does it all" amp, I can't imagine a better device than the ODS. Andy and his wife are really great to work with, too.

He has a B-stock ODS 50 head for sale right now for $1,600... a steal at that price.

Forum Member

It still sounds like a riot to play. But yeah, as a Swiss-Army "does it all" amp, I can't imagine a better device than the ODS. Andy and his wife are really great to work with, too.

He has a B-stock ODS 50 head for sale right now for $1,600... a steal at that price.
    Man I hate you...

Man I hate you...
    Ah, it's probably sold already. Forget I mentioned it.

Man, that sounds delicious.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

High praise coming from a real-live amp builder! Thanks, NT.

Here's me radically overdoing it, with the Zencaster, ODS, and a recently acquired Fuchs t-shirt. ODS fo' life!

Nice pic!

Very nice Jim.

Congrats!
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Where's the audio, fer cryin' out loud??!?

Awesome!

-Edmund Burke

And to think I once defended digital modeling!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Where's the audio, fer cryin' out loud??!?
    OS, look up above for post #18 (you'll see the post number in the upper right-hand corner of each post). There's a link there to a song that features the sound of this guitar and amp.

I don't recall seeing the Yin/Yang medallion on the Zencaster...has it always been there? Very cool.

-Edmund Burke

OS, look up above for post #18 (you'll see the post number in the upper right-hand corner of each post). There's a link there to a song that features the sound of this guitar and amp.
    Very nice, Jim! I can't quite describe the sensation of hearing it. It's almost as if the amp is "invisible." Just clean guitar tones. I don't know how else to describe it.

I don't recall seeing the Yin/Yang medallion on the Zencaster...has it always been there? Very cool.
    It's been there for years, NT. I bought that cloisonné straight-back pin in San Francisco's Japantown during a visit long before we moved here.

Very nice, Jim! I can't quite describe the sensation of hearing it. It's almost as if the amp is "invisible." Just clean guitar tones. I don't know how else to describe it.
    That's a solid description. When it's played clean, it's fat and present... just sounds like a guitar. You should hear it when it's dripping with gain!

the reason these amps are so vocal is the clean tone stack shape coupled with the power amp's headroom.