Thread: My Dream P Bass; Yours?

My Dream P Bass; Yours?

I am not in the market for a Precision, but it's my obsession at the moment. I've always wondered whether I made the right decision when I chose a Jazz Bass over the Precision. I've thought of trying to find another lefty who'd trade a Precision for my Jazz, but I can't bear to part with the Jazz.

Fender has already discontinued any lefty Precision they made, and they haven't offered an MIM P in a long time.

My dream Precision would be daphne blue with a white pickguard and maple fretboard. As for pickups, I'd like something low with that famous lows and smooth thump those classic Precisions had.

What is your Precision setup, or what would you want if you got one?
    Last edited by ch willie; 01-23-2017 at 06:32 PM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: My Dream P Bass; Yours?

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I am not in the market for a Precision, but it's my obsession at the moment. I've always wondered whether I made the right decision when I chose a Jazz Bass over the Precision. I've thought of trying to find another lefty who'd trade a Precision for my Jazz, but I can't bear to part with the Jazz.

Fender has already discontinued any lefty Precision they made, and they haven't offered an MIM P in a long time.

My dream Precision would be daphne blue with a white pickguard and maple fretboard. As for pickups, I'd like something low with that famous low and smooth thump those classic Precisions had.

What is your Precision setup, or what would you want if you got one?
    I just don't know - I haven't played it yet - would have to feel it and hear it.

Honestly - this is one of my favorite "Dream Bass"es..... not a P, but it has exactly what I want in tone shaping - with the series/parallel option. Is just a basis MIJ Jag

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...9822138&type=3
    doesn't look like it wants to show up - sorry

My favorite P style to date is a yamaha BB2000.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I've got a MIJ '62 reissue modded with PJ basslines, custom active electronics and a bad ass II bridge. It's also vintage white, tort pick guard (my favourite fender livery) with a maple/rosewood neck. I like it a lot and there's not one thing I'd change on it. I had a Custom Shop Jazz Relic a few years back that I traded for a pedal steel guitar. I like having the pedal steel, but I do regret trading that bass. It was beyond sweet.

Here's the me with the PJ at a fair a few weeks back:

I have mine.........well its actually a "P/J bass " style....
    USA Made neck through Unity Dyna by Peavey 1995 edition.

And it is in a word AMAZING

Looks and sounds even better with the new black Fender tapewounds ;)
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Thanks for the pics, guys.

Kenny, that Mustang? is a beauty.

I like all of them you guys are posting. Keep them coming.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I pretty much already have mine. As much as I love vintage P's, I prefer the hotrodded ones I build, which are what I think of as "mid-fi". They're a nod to the past, but definitely not "new school". Badass bridges, low impedance passive pups, maple and rosewood J neck, alder body. Right now I'm playing either my blue sparkle BEAD bass (Gibson Recording bass pup), or my cream EADG (Lace Alumitone) P's.

With that said, if I had the money, I'd LOVE to have 2 Lakland "Duck Dunn" P's with a Darkstar pup. I absolutely LOVE the way they look!!! They're spec'd out the way I would have them build me a bass. I get weak in the knees whenever I see matching headstocks, block inlays and custom colors.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I own mine, too... a 1996 MIA Precision Deluxe, in Shoreline Gold with a maple board and a Fender Original 57/62 Precision pickup. Runs the gamut from Motown thump to Rickenbacker clank. It's also beautiful to look at. Not a mark on it, and the body shape is subtly slimmed down to give it the same kind of space-age glam as a Strat.

I've owned my dream P bass since purchasing it new in '65 (traded a '63 J) but after ten years of playing the P it was parked when I switched back to a lightly modified '63 J.

All the four stringers have been sitting in a closet since I switched to 5 stringers in the late '80s with the current (and most versatile bass I've played) being a 55-94 deluxe Lakland that I've owned since '99. Recently I did have the '63 re-fretted and have been enjoying it's sound with a fresh set of RotoSound swing bass strings on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I've owned my dream P bass since purchasing it new in '65 (traded a '63 J) but after ten years of playing the P it was parked when I switched back to a lightly modified '63 J.

All the four stringers have been sitting in a closet since I switched to 5 stringers in the late '80s with the current (and most versatile bass I've played) being a 55-94 deluxe Lakland that I've owned since '99. Recently I did have the '63 re-fretted and have been enjoying it's sound with a fresh set of RotoSound swing bass strings on it.
    I'd love to see a pic of that Lakland if you ever have time to post it. I've heard nothing but praise for Laklands.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I'd love to see a pic of that Lakland if you ever have time to post it. I've heard nothing but praise for Laklands.
    From around 2000 or so here's Lakland's Carl Pedigo stamping the serial number in my fretless 55-94

and doing a tune up on my fretted 55-94, the guitar I'm playing in my avatar.

Really nice. I'm glad you enjoy playing it. It looks super.

When I think P bass or bass at all , I must confess for me nothing beats the gold guards from the 50's . I have been lucky to have 4 pass through my shop recently. Here is a shot of 3 of them....[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by GregsGuitars View Post
    When I think P bass or bass at all , I must confess for me nothing beats the gold guards from the 50's . I have been lucky to have 4 pass through my shop recently. Here is a shot of 3 of them....[IMG][/IMG]
    The first bass I ever played was a twin to the one pictured on the right of your photo. Back in 1960 or so I was a sax player in my first band. When the bass player was featured as vocalist he did not want to play when he was singing (maybe he couldn't do both; I can't remember) so I learned those tunes on bass. I found I enjoyed playing bass more than sax and made the permanent switch to bass in '63.

Quote Originally Posted by GregsGuitars View Post
    woah. did any of them have an A (1.5" nut) neck? That would be my dream bass. Until then, I'll have to settle for a p-bass body with a Jazz bass neck (rosewood fingerboard)

I can not remember the nut width as they all 3 sold this previous year,with one more 56- 2 tone finish P bass possibly being offered later in 2017. I just feel very fortunate to have had 4 original gold guard P basses pass through my shop in so short a period of time.