Thread: Deciding on Which Strat to Keep

Deciding on Which Strat to Keep

I've got a bit of a dilemma.

I need to pay a hospital bill, and I may need to sell one of my Strats.

2008 Am Std Browneye
    --57/62s, my fave pups; lovely neck but identical to the other Strat's.
    --brown sunburst like my fave Strat EC played during the early 70s. Besides, George played one sometimes, and the cover of Steve Miller's fly Like an Eagle sees him playing an upside down lefty.

2011 Am Std Blizzie--Stratosphere parts
    --Blizzard Pearl body is incredibly attractive. Its subtly metallic finish sparkles tastefully.
    --Not happy with the Burstbuckers I put in it. Going to sell or trade those and put the original AmStds that came on Browneye.

Well, it's not Sophie's Choice but a much lighter version of the dilemma of choosing to sacrifice one guitar equal to the other in my esteem.

I don't know that I'm asking you to make the choice for me, but I am open to your comments and analysis.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Deciding on Which Strat to Keep

I'd keep brown eye and sell the pearl blizzard. you could try selling it with the burstbuckers (assuming swimming pool route under pick guard) and if you get no bites then put the Am Stds in it.

I second that, Dan...

I'd keep browneye.

That's my inclination too. As much as I love Strats, I really don't need two. I'm not sure what to ask for Blizzie since it's a partscaster, albeit an all American Standard partscaster.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I'd charge what an used Am Std costs, after all it's a player's guitar made of USA parts, just fine. If I were a lefty I'd buy it, for instance.

Forum Member

Break the blizzard down and sell the parts individually. Easier to ship that way and more lucrative.

If I can figure out a good way to do so without going on ebay. I've paid too many of their fees.

I've sold a bunch of stuff on the gear page but lately it's been really hard to stay afloat in the sheer volume of stuff there. You'll want to up your thread every day or it gets buried 13-14 or more pages in 24 hours. Plus you have to be a supporting member to post in the emporium, I forget what it is, something like 12 dollars a year. Once you're in, no fees. Lot of tire kickers and lowballers and trade baiters but I've had good transactions so far.

I recommend getting:

an accurate weight of the guitar

thoroughly list what it's made with

neck measurement at the 1st and 12th fret and a description of the shape (C, D, V, U etc)

radius of fingerboard

if possible, resistance reading of pickups and what kind of pots & caps

pictures in good iight, crop out unnecessary background stuff, include body front, body back, fingerboard in 2 or 3 shots, headstock front and back, bridge, trem plate or cavity if no cover, full shot of pick guard.

What gauge strings you have on it now,

and of course, don't forget the essential hyperbole "The best guitar I've ever played"

I say keep browneye as well.
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I'd charge what an used Am Std costs, after all it's a player's guitar made of USA parts, just fine. If I were a lefty I'd buy it, for instance.
    I can tell you that categorically people where I live will not pay as much for a partscaster as for a guitar that was shipped from the factory. a stock AmStd is worth more than if you had parts from AVRIs, for example.

Stuff like Nash/Danocaster/K-line is fine but not parts.

On the OP; More generally, always keep the better instrument if you can afford it. If they are genuinely equivalent, sell the one that is easier to replace. E.G. between my strat and my les paul my les paul could be subbed by any other CC and maybe even a regular R9, but my strat is what it is because of when it was made. if that's equivalent, sell the one that will bring you more cash.

DanTBM:

Thanks. All good advice. It's got 10s on it now.

I'm going to check into partsing it out, but I'd just about take less just to get it over and done with. I haven't made up my mind.

I have made up my mind to sell it. I'm really happy with Browneye and couldn't ask for a guitar that sounds closer to the sound I like.

I've got a guitar for sale right now, entire and available for parts. First person to step up determines the strategy. I'm contemplating taking the whole guitar off the table and just keeping the parts listed. Even though I'd have to ship 3 packages (body, neck, pick guard), the boxes are smaller and less expensive to ship. In theory.

Who is the hell names a guitar browneye? Who in the hell would want a guitar named browneye? Is this a frigging joke?

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Who is the hell names a guitar browneye? Who in the hell would want a guitar named browneye? Is this a frigging joke?
    well, for comparison Dave Friedman sells a 3700 dollar amplifier called the Browneye 100. despite these two drawbacks, they are selling a shocking number of them, and you now see them on the stages of some of the best bands currently out there.

the only joke here is thinking you can fly off the rails at what someone else calls their guitar...

It's a half joke. Guitarists take themselves too seriously, and everybody's got to name their guitar something "cool" or after some woman "yawn" (I"ve done it to one of mine). Like I said, I named it after Brownie, but since I don't play worth a shit...

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    well, for comparison Dave Friedman sells a 3700 dollar amplifier called the Browneye 100. despite these two drawbacks, they are selling a shocking number of them, and you now see them on the stages of some of the best bands currently out there.

the only joke here is thinking you can fly off the rails at what someone else calls their guitar...
    Ha ha ha. Damn it! Somebody stole mah geetarz name! I am going to threaten lawsuit to all of those around me who'll hear, but in reality do absolutely nothing.

Um flying off the rails is a bit much me thinks.... Type can have many meanings you are reading something that simply was not my intent no need to be insulting...

Oh, I can think of another.

I'm with melody on this one.

Now, as far as which one to sell.... keep the brown one (you clearly like it better) and yes, part out the white one. Or donate it to my foundation. Not deductible, but you'll have a real good feeling in your heart.

Um flying off the rails is a bit much me thinks.... Type can have many meanings you are reading something that simply was not my intent no need to be insulting...
    where was that sensitivity when you made your first post?

like you went after the dude for his personal choices whether you meant to be insulting or not; why clutch your pearls when it came back down the exact same line?

where was that sensitivity when you made your first post?

like you went after the dude for his personal choices whether you meant to be insulting or not; why clutch your pearls when it came back down the exact same line?
    WTF, man? Drop it.

Look, when I name a guitar Browneye, I've got to expect a bit of flack. Melody's was equal to spewing coffee on the screen. I half enjoy those kinds of reactions. I don't mind Gravity Jim agreeing with Melody. It's all fine. I have my reasons that work in my universe. Peace to all in theirs.

But redisburning, thanks for the defense; I appreciate it.

+1 to keep BrownEye.
    Decisions like this one suck.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

I've had time to think hard about it. Going to keep Browneye (maybe give it a less disgusting name--I've had my fun now).

I love that guitar. When I first opened the case, even though I'd had many new guitars come and go then, I loved the way it looked, and the 2008 AmStd necks were made for me. I've never liked a Fender neck more than this one. And with the one mod I've made, the 57/62s, it really is the one for me.

Now it seems like the decision had to be this all along. I appreciate all the helpful insight and advice. Makes me feel better about my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Look, when I name a guitar Browneye, I've got to expect a bit of flack. Melody's was equal to spewing coffee on the screen. I half enjoy those kinds of reactions.
    At least you have a name for yours. I've had my EC Artist Series Strat for only a few months, and it's number one on my list and climbing higher all the time! Yet, for the life of me, I can't think of a name for it. I considered "Fastpaw" (because Clapton is "Slowhand" and I'm no EC) but it just doesn't resonate with me. I don't name cars or pets with human names, so I'm not in favor of anthropomorphizing a guitar. So, for now, and until I think of a name, it's just my "EC Strat."