Thread: He Took A Hammer To His Stratocaster... You Won't Believe What Happened Next!

TFF Stage Crew

He Took A Hammer To His Stratocaster... You Won't Believe What Happened Next!

lol
    So I've had this problem with almost every Strat I've owned that was newer than 1966: The trem arm is loose in the inertia block & there's some play when using the arm. Clatter is what I call it. I've tried teflon tape, small springs of different sizes tensions & lengths, solder, & even newspaper to get it snug but the problem eventually returns.
    So the other day I took a small ball-peen hammer & lightly mashed the threads about .25" in from the threaded end all the way around. Now it's as snug as a bug in a rug.
    Got any home-brew Strat-hacks? Post them here

Re: He Took A Hammer To His Stratocaster... You Won't Believe What Happened Next!

I'm glad this idea worked out for you but I will mention that when you said "I took a small ball-peen hammer" I had a momentary cringe.

I'm ok now...LOL

Re: He Took A Hammer To His Stratocaster... You Won't Believe What Happened Next!

1. Remove trem arm
    2. Put it away somewhere that your heirs can find when they're selling your gear.
    3. Buy an Ibanez with their best lock trem
    4. Disguise it as a Strat--use a 3D printer and plasticize it, baby, plasticize...
    5. Do not shred, or you'll give it away.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Funny CH.
    I was going to post that I have not ever had that issue with any of the numerous Strats I have owned.......but they where all Squires and Starcasters........

Just poking fun COGS ..... glad you got her sorted....I was going to suggest thread/pipe tape wrap........maybe??
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    lol
    So I've had this problem with almost every Strat I've owned that was newer than 1966: The trem arm is loose in the inertia block & there's some play when using the arm. Clatter is what I call it. I've tried teflon tape, small springs of different sizes tensions & lengths, solder, & even newspaper to get it snug but the problem eventually returns.
    So the other day I took a small ball-peen hammer & lightly mashed the threads about .25" in from the threaded end all the way around. Now it's as snug as a bug in a rug.
    Those who have a Strat with a die cast inertia block should not do this- the threads on the inertia block will be damaged and may strip!

TFF Stage Crew

Yes, ditto that. These blocks I'm using are steel. Pretty good stuff, but for the play. All vintage-reissue stuff, or something like it

how do you tell steel from die cast?

TFF Stage Crew

Take the block & strike your front teeth with it. If it is steel, your teeth will shatter. If it is diecast, your teeth will shatter
    lol
    A steel block has a "ping" to it when struck. I also has marks on it from being milled or cut. A diecast block will have a clunky, dull tone when struck & will have casting marks or marks from the mold on it. Let me look for some images

TFF Stage Crew

I don't know if this is a good example or not, but here's a pot metal diecast block on top w/a brass block on the bottom. Note the circle on the right of the diecast block, as well as the sharp edges on the brass block. The brass has obviously been milled or cut instead of molded.

holy crap will that brass block fit in a trem cavity?

TFF Stage Crew

Believe it or not that's just a standard sized block. The pot metal block has been reduced in size dramatically, probably as a cost-saving measure

A magnet won't be attracted to a diecast block.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    lol
    I wonder after using the ball-peen hammer if the trem arm will unscrew off?

TFF Stage Crew

Definitely! You don't want to obliterate the threads, just that a bit of "fineness" off them, so just a few light taps are all you need. Do it up from the end so there is some clean thread to get it started in the hole drilled in the block.
    I've been using this Strat almost exclusively since I hammered the threads & the arm is still snug w/no play or rattle. It moves to where I put it & stays in position untill it is moved again. Some guys like the arm to fall out of the way when not in use, this mod is not for them. It moves easily but stays where placed.