Thread: Brazilian Rock n Roll

Brazilian Rock n Roll

So, I thought I'd create a thread about my homeland's own rock n roll.

Anyway, I must say I don't like about 80% of the so called "rock n roll" produced in Brazil. Sad but true.

Brazil does however have some good rock, folk and blues musicians, I'll make a small collection of vids and images of the ones I like for you all.

One of them was the composer/singer/songwriter Raul Seixas.

He was from Bahia, born in 1945, and died in 1989. An often misunderstood poet, he was deeply influenced by occultism and the works of Aleister Crowley. He even claimed to have plans for the creation of the "Alternative Society," which was to be an anarchist community, mentioned in his lyrics.

Although he had some VERY cool blues-based rock compositions, people in Brazil usually like and remember him for his more philosophic and quiet music.

Here's one of my favorite songs by him. The licks always reminded me of Brown Sugar by the Stones:

Last edited by S. Cane; 10-29-2016 at 07:35 PM.

Re: Brazilian Rock n Roll

This is probably the best Brazilian Blues player I know of, Celso Blues Boy (definitely worth watching, the man was GOOD):

(BTW he is playing a Southern Cross Series Strat, one of the early 90s Fenders that were made under license in Brazil, one of which I own and posted about here)

These are the Titãs, one of the REAL rock n roll bands we have here. Their influences are mainly new wave, punk rock and grunge. It's the only Brazilian band I've taken the time to go see play live.
    This is a recent concert:

I'll post more later!

One problem I've noticed about non-English language rock is that in some languages, it's difficult to give the punch and melody of English, and that affects the rhythms of vocal lines. Some languages are better suited to some types of rock, thus Scandinavian and Germanic languages, guttural, are suited for metal.

I do love some French pop and German rock and pop. I need to check out the best of what you have in Brazil.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I like those first two artists. The last was a little hard for my taste. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    One problem I've noticed about non-English language rock is that in some languages, it's difficult to give the punch and melody of English, and that affects the rhythms of vocal lines. Some languages are better suited to some types of rock, thus Scandinavian and Germanic languages, guttural, are suited for metal.

I do love some French pop and German rock and pop. I need to check out the best of what you have in Brazil.

Indeed.

That's why I never could listen to rock in French without laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
    Indeed.

That's why I never could listen to rock in French without laughing.
    I hear blues and rock being sung in Portuguese and feel like I'm listening to my vovó!

Ouch!!!!!!

P.S. French sounds even funnier

We seriously NEED a like button
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

That's why I could never get into Johnny Halliday. I want to like him and his music. He's cool, but the rushed words and the incongruence of the flowing and rushed-word French into the choppy lines of rock and roll--it doesn't work for me. His millions of fans might disagree.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Some more Raul Seixas. It will sound quite different but it's worth watching for anyone curious about what kind of rock n roll people were doing around the world back then. This was a 1975 show

This was CRAZY

Btw believe it or not, he was actually friends with John Lennon, they met in New York

I know its only Rock n Roll but i like it like it yes i do !!!!!

A very interesting and fine Brazilian band, these guys make quite an authentic indie rock, pure but very much based on Brazilian music, Los Hermanos.

From wikipedia (I'm too lazy to type all this from an iPad)

Los Hermanos is a rock band from Rio de Janeiro. The group was formed in 1997 by Marcelo Camelo (Vocals, guitar), Rodrigo Amarante (guitar), Rodrigo Barba (drums), and Bruno Medina (keyboard bass). Currently they are on an extended hiatus, performing
    some concerts sporadically.

Although the band is Brazilian, the name is Spanish, meaning "the brothers", which would be "Os Irmãos" in Portuguese.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Hermanos

If you listen carefully, you will identify samba and bossa nova elements thrown in...

Last edited by S. Cane; 10-29-2016 at 07:38 PM.

Now, here's something different: Cabruêra

These guys are from my own hometown. What they play isn't exactly "rock", they put together some of our traditional rhythms from northeastern Brazil and compose a peculiar style of music which is their own, kinda like what Flogging Molly does with Irish music.

This is a concert at the JFK in Washington, DC

They have toured a lot in the US, Latin America, Africa and Europe

That's really interesting and good. Can't watch it all now but the first tune is excellent.

Forum Member

Back in the day, I had some good friends who predominately played "New Mexico" music. One used to joke that a Cumbia was "Mexican rock and roll". I sat in with them some, and learned a little more about music.
    While working with a country band, in a small town north of us, the bartender complained about the tunes we were doing. When we got back up for third set, I talked the guys into backing me on Rosa Maria. I did the tune and everybody seemed to have fun, but later the bartender complained about my introduction, as "Mexican rock and roll"!
    I guess there's no pleasing some folks!

Here's a duo that is making a lot of success in the Brazilian rock scene. The Baggios.

This guy can play the hell out of that Hagstrom Viking!

I like the vibe of the Baggios, but I do miss a bass thrown into the mix. It seems to be "the thing" to go without a bassist in some bands these days.

I don't know what the case is with The Baggios, but I think some people discount the importance of a bass player. Back in the day when I played bass as my main instrument, I remember guitarists putting down bass players in general--"They have the easiest job in the band." Trust me, they weren't guitarists who really got what a bass player or even a band is all about.

That's not to say I don't like The Baggios. I just think they're missing the crucial element of the bass.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I like the vibe of the Baggios, but I do miss a bass thrown into the mix. It seems to be "the thing" to go without a bassist in some bands these days.

I don't know what the case is with The Baggios, but I think some people discount the importance of a bass player. Back in the day when I played bass as my main instrument, I remember guitarists putting down bass players in general--"They have the easiest job in the band." Trust me, they weren't guitarists who really got what a bass player or even a band is all about.

That's not to say I don't like The Baggios. I just think they're missing the crucial element of the bass.
    though I like them, Icouldn't agree more! I've always felt the same about power duos.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Ouch!!!!!!

P.S. French sounds even funnier
    And French rap from Quebec is even funnier than that!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    And French rap from Quebec is even funnier than that!
    French is such a wonderful sounding language for some kinds of music--folk, the chancon, opera, but it just doesn't work for rap, and it always sounds funny to me in rock.

German, however, works for rap and rock. Its rhythms and guttural nature fit somehow. The only problem with German and rock comes from some of the uber-long words in the language. I mean, for gard's sake, my title in Germany: Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    A very interesting and fine Brazilian band, these guys make quite an authentic indie rock, pure but very much based on Brazilian music, Los Hermanos.

I really liked that! And please don't take offense, but every time I hear that trumpet in the background I think a bull is going to run out on the stage...

TFF Stage Crew

Very cool thread. I missed it the first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Very cool thread. I missed it the first time around.
    Glad you liked it, brother.

I'll keep on posting!

I posted this at the "what are you listening to" thread, but anyway...

I'm revisiting "Os Mutantes", one of the first great 60s Brazilian rock bands. Their guitarist, Sérgio Dias, is a genius. Their 2006 concert in London (already with some different musicians and a different female singer) was really something.

This is one of their original hits, sung in English in London, at the Barbican theatre, and Sérgio does some GREAT soloing in an incidental mashup with "While my guitar gently weeps".