Thread: Blues Jr. Reverb Tank

Blues Jr. Reverb Tank

I picked up a used early Blues Jr. and the Reverb is gone. Prolly the tank - checked the wires already

was thinking of an upgrade to the OEM tank - what are some suggestions that won't break the bank? I wouldn't have any issues using an outboard reverb pedal, but want the amp to function correctly, so......

So - Suggestions - Lets hear em
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Forum Member

Re: Blues Jr. Reverb Tank

I changed a tank in a friend's BJ a few years ago, as I recall I used a long tank, (9EBG3C1B, he wanted a lot of twang). It may fit without a bag, but it sure would be tight, I used a bag, and lifted one end fastening it to the side of the cab. (He used it for a few years that way with no problems).
    The factory tank is the short "8" series, the Mod replacement tanks at AES are not a lot of money, and do sound good.

Bill - when I get time to check the amp better, and rule out common causes - I will look into this. I like that amp - and may change a couple of things. I want it to have a lower sweet spot, or at least a controllable one. I see a lot of touring acts come through the venue I do sound at - using these and they work great. I just wanted my own, and an early American made one availed itself - so........
    Kenny Belmont

Forum Member

Ok - so......

I have had so much going on......
    A friend looked at my Blues Junior, and found that one of the EL84s was cherry red - the other was barely lit. I looked around today and found one functional EL84 in my cabinet of various odds and ends. It was a leftover from upgrade on a valve junior I had.

It seems that maybe part of the signal chain in the amp that comes out of or through that or those power tubes effects the signal to the reverb. Catastrophe averted!

Now, I need to pick up a decent matched set and call it good. Its a decent amp - and I am glad it was that easy of a fix.

Thought I would update you guys, in case anyone runs
    into that issue - something to check.
    Kenny Belmont