Thread: All New Resistors In The 72 Twin

All New Resistors In The 72 Twin

Recently I removed the Master Volume pot from my late 72 Twin Reverb and installed a jumper wire. I replaced 2 resistors with 1/2 NTE metal film resistors to make it a total AA270 circuit. I got to thinking and you know what happens when I get to thinking > Not a dawg gawn thing ! Carbon resistors from way back when had a +- tolerance of about 20%. Over time carbon resistors can go out of their range. Carbon resistors can be noisy and grainy. Way back when carbon resistors were all that existed for what would be used in an amp. Metal film resistors have a tolerance of +- 2% , are very quiet , do not drift out of their value and are not grainy. For less than $10.00 or $22.00 if I buy all 6 packs I am going to replace every one of them. My amp is already converted to the AB763 adjustable bias. It has the "blue blob" caps and I like the tone. The power supply caps are new Spragues.

Re: All New Resistors In The 72 Twin

If you like the tone why replace all of the resistors? Some of them might've drifted to a place where they improve the sound of the amp.

Re: All New Resistors In The 72 Twin

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    If you like the tone why replace all of the resistors? Some of them might've drifted to a place where they improve the sound of the amp.
    The metal film will be a tad cleaner and I want the tone from that twin as clean as possible. If i dont like it I can always put the old resistors back in. I have Marshall JCM800 2205 and 20 pedals for dirty and distortion tone.