Thread: Useful bass effects?

Useful bass effects?

I have played bass on and off since 1976, and I've never owned an fx pedal of any kind for it.

I'm not a purist: if I played a song that really demanded something, I'd use it. But I prefer plugging straight into the amp.

But an honest question: What fx pedals for bass do you like and use?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Useful bass effects?

I like these......
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Forum Member

Bear in mind I don't really count because I am a few days away from having a bass again. That said I will certainly try my compression boxen on it. I love what they do for me on guitar so I HAVE to try them with the bass.

I have friends who have bass racks that look like NASA control boards.....

If that is what you need to do what you do, then you should have what you need -

I have friends who play in cover bands who really try to emulate every sound they hear.....

IDK, I just like to play the pocket and do what I do - use a good solid rig, basic sound and keep the bottom where I think it ought to be.

Someday - I will learn to snap and pop and do all of that -
    Kenny Belmont

Fuzz and synthy stuff. I play in the band at the church, and some of the stuff has Moog bass synth stuff on it. I also use a Whammy pedal set to octave so I can fill out our sound some. I don't use the effects much, only when needed.

Some people use a lot of fx, and that's cool. I've always been either pretty simple, or with some fuzz. My favorite is the Z Vex Wooly Mammoth, which I built a clone of.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    Fuzz and synthy stuff. I play in the band at the church, and some of the stuff has Moog bass synth stuff on it. I also use a Whammy pedal set to octave so I can fill out our sound some. I don't use the effects much, only when needed.

Some people use a lot of fx, and that's cool. I've always been either pretty simple, or with some fuzz. My favorite is the Z Vex Wooly Mammoth, which I built a clone of.
    Is that a fuzz? I axe because everything I ordered was clean clean clean and I think I may want dirts..I actually may try my Velvet Fuzz on it..

Thanks for the answers so far.

I can see someone in a cover band needing a few effects.

I can see someone doing originals going there too.

I like the thought of getting something that take everything an octave lower.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Is that a fuzz? I axe because everything I ordered was clean clean clean and I think I may want dirts..I actually may try my Velvet Fuzz on it..
    yeah it's a pretty heavy fuzz.

velvet fuzz should be fine. failing that, I use a Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian for guitar but it's supposed to be equally amazing on bass. It's my favorite style of muff; less mid scoop, bit less gain just doom as hell.

guess it depends on what type of music you want to play but compressor and fuzz seem to be the basics that I see on bass player's boards.

ymmv tho Im not a bass player if you can play Sleep riffs and shake the walls I think you're brilliant.

Caveat: my Ashdown will do a little "grind" on its own. EVERYTHING I grew up listening to had a little bit of "stank" on the bass. That's why I love tube amps so much! Even when set "clean", they aren't really THAT clean, and they have a nice compression to them.

I see two camps of bass player; old school and new school. Old school is mostly vintage gear, passive electronics, and simple. New school is SS class D amps, tweeters woofers and horns, crossovers, multi band eq and compression, etc etc.

There really is no right or wrong answer to HOW you get your bass tone. I have a SansAmp BassDriver on my board for when I have to use someone else's amp... I HATE playing on backline, but the Tech21 always saves me!

Oh, and yes, Wooly Mammoth is a decently heavy fuzz, yet VERY tweakable! It's a modified silicone Fuzz Face. Another great bass OD/fuzz is a RAT. Shit you not, I have 4 of them. They do WAY more than the "80's thing".

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    Caveat: my Ashdown will do a little "grind" on its own. EVERYTHING I grew up listening to had a little bit of "stank" on the bass. That's why I love tube amps so much! Even when set "clean", they aren't really THAT clean, and they have a nice compression to them.
    I hear great sound coming from solid states and hybrids. I'm pretty happy with my Rumble 350. But none of them does it for me like the old inhumanely heavy SVT stack. Rumbled my soul like nothing else I ever had the luck to play.

The sansamp is a good piece to have - I absolutely agree. If its too sterile, it will fix that, add bottom, clean it up and ad justa bout anything you could reasonably ask for. ALSO a GREAT DI if the amp goes, and you need to go FOH, or into a poweramp.
    Kenny Belmont

Fuzz box. Plastic and felt picks give a different sound.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

I run my bass through my Axe-FX. In my patch I have the default noise gate, a compressor and just a touch of verb. I have another patch where I have a octave effects. 1 octave up and/or down. It's ok, but really doesn;t capture the 8 or 12 string bass sound as well as I would like. Need to tweak it some more.
    Mark

Mostly I go straight into the Hartke B600, BUT when I want to twist my knobs ......
    I currently use this beastie

Behringer Vtone BD121

HOWEVER I have a ZOOM B1 on the way (it has more effects AND A BUILT IN DRUM MACHINE .........) I am gonna get Jiggity Jiggity wiff it.
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

I just got a B1 today, $50 shipped! I mainly got it to make goofy noises with my bass. But I figure it'll be a good home practice tool with the drum beats on it

My thinking EXACTLY Chuck!

I had one before ---they have a BAZILLION options/tones/models/.......I didnt have the patience for it then.....I am embracing the BASS more these days and look forward to dialing that puppy in.......

The Behringer maybe up for sale soon!!!! lol
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

I sat down today and cycled through all the sounds... Umm, this is in NO WAY making me sell my normal rig. BUT! To sit down and practice parts to drum beats it'll be fine. I'm also looking forward to making some weird synth tones with it. I gotta tell you though, most of the sounds on this thing made me scratch my head. As in a "who actually thinks this sounds good" sort of way. LOL Oh well, this way I can play late at night and not disturb the neighbors.

LOL
    My neighbors are "pre-Disturbed"
    T. Roosevelt

After doing a few gigs, sitting in on other peoples rigs, etc......

I am not really a fan of gadgets if the rig sounds good. Every now and then a cool effect is cool - but I typcially switch back to our regularly scheduled program pretty quick.

had a did over the weekend where I was out through the PA, and used the EQ on FOH to take out some of the deepest flub/rumble (played from a large deck under a 20x40 tent) and it was nice! Thats about as fancy as I get.
    Kenny Belmont

I am mostly just chasing tone in my home office.

I like fiddling with the gadgets now and again.......either or both will probably wind up on ebay or reverb in the near future when I get bored with them or traded off for some other guitar part or pickup or something......
    I would not think either one is capable of pro level "gig" use plastic and "cheapy" feel behringer has a line out to go to a recorder or computer I assume----dont do any of that ----the world DOES not need to hear my ham fisted noise making.
    BUt the Behringer I snagged for 15.00 and the Zoom was under 30 delivered........so not a lot of scratch as far as pedals go......Hell less than taking the wife to dinner and a movie......
    T. Roosevelt

I have THAT Behringer DI - it works fine. I don't use it in "getting my sound" though. I keep it in case I need a DI for bass or keys, and have even used it for acoustic in a pinch.
    Kenny Belmont

So I can use that to plug (BASSically--lol) my bass straight into my 'puter?
    T. Roosevelt

Yep, you sure can. Like I said, I don't think it sounds bad, just not as good as some other things I have.

I leave a SansAmp BassDriver on my board JIC I have to play through someone else's rig, or for DI if needed. If I'm using my own rig, then I don't use it.

I rent from my parents, so I have to be on my best behavior. Don't want the tenants to think I get special treatment. I do, but I do my best... LOL

zoom B1 got here today!!! time for a shoot off
    T. Roosevelt

WOW......well......50 page instructional book on HOW to use it----tons of tones and weirdo noises I will never use-----
    most of the models are WAY off however the Geezer Butler tone is very good as is the "tube" bass amp emulator...

80% of the thing is rubbish but the things it does well.....AND the drum beats (rather than a metronome for some "flavor" in your practice) are worth the 29.00 I gave for it I guess

The Behringer seems more subtle ----WAY easier to use--- but without the WIDE range of options....so they sorta compliment each other!!!
    T. Roosevelt

I got rid of my "Ten thousand Effects" pedals long ago. just not for me.

most of the guys I either play with or have worked with as sound engineer (yes - I used that title), are using mostly dedicated pedals/effects. There are a couple of exceptions, but like I said...."most".

I had a Zoom pedal I wish I had kept - it had a decent drum/rhythm feature. It was good to practice with. I found that the patches were too difficult to move through for me, so I would never have gigged with it. It was fun though.
    Kenny Belmont

I agree---probably set one "patch" and leave it---it is hard to flip through and find the right one
    T. Roosevelt

Seems like we have the same review of this pedal. The drum beats and basic sounds are good. I don't plan on gigging with it, it's a home practice tool. I'm sure if someone was so inclined they could sit down and program it all... I have neither the patience or inclination to do so. But, I do plan on setting it to their SVT or FlipTop patch and practicing my bass technique.

"LIKE" button pressed
    T. Roosevelt