Thread: Newer Gibson "Limited Edition" stuff

TFF Stage Crew

Newer Gibson "Limited Edition" stuff

(I know, I know, I could ask this at LPF, but hey).

Anyone know anything about these guitars? The new-ish Les Paul Limited Edition Standard Mahogany top has me drooling and the price is NICE.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Elect...ogany-Top.aspx

Just wondered re playability and sound. Don't care much about re-sale value vs. the Traditional/Standard line, just want to know the lowdown. From the specs on the link, it appears one major difference is that the fingerboard may not be "PLEK'd," but that's not a dealbreaker for me, as I've had plenty of great guitars that aren't.

Any info out there?

EDIT: I did already do a search at LPF and only found info about much older L.E. series, and one question about resale value on the new series, which again, I don't really care about.

Re: Newer Gibson "Limited Edition" stuff

Pete, they look nice but the posted specs are suspect. For example, it lists a standard LP pickguard but none in the phtot so you gotta wonder how much is actual and how was just copy/paste. They also have the string slot size listed twice with differing dimensions. I think one is intended for the bridge and the other for the nut (?) But yeah, that price is an attention getter for sure.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

TFF Stage Crew

You're sure right about the description. I also noticed they spelled "Rhythm" wrong in the section about the pickups. Not exactly pro level web work there.

I've gotten a couple LPs where the pick guard was not attached in case you want to go commando
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I had never seen this one before, looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    You're sure right about the description. I also noticed they spelled "Rhythm" wrong in the section about the pickups. Not exactly pro level web work there.
    Probably outsourced the web stuff to China...
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Probably outsourced the web stuff...

TFF Stage Crew

Well you guys were no help at all.

Couldn't resist the temptation and had to order one, since apparently nobody on the Interwebs has yet to own or play one and report about it. It arrived today and it really is a stunner. It is every bit a Les Paul and every bit a "standard." Fit and finish were perfect; intonation slightly off but easily fixed; burst-buckers with the push-pull pots for phase changes, coil splits and full bypass to the bridge pickup; 8 pounds, 4 oz.; locking tuners (but no robots, thanks very much); optional pickguard in the HSC.

I love it. Cranked it up through the Bassman channel of my '68 D.R. on 8 with no pedals, just using the volume knobs for different sounds... AMAZING. Totally in love. I hated taking the chance on a sight-unseen Lester but really lucked out here.

One note: I did order a Rhythm/Treble switch washer because I'm not sure I know how to deal with a Lester without it, but we'll see.

TFF Stage Crew

One more pic, now with the switch-washer. Looks damn near perfect to my eye now. YMMV.

Oh my!

In the best of health!

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

I love the fact that you just "had" to put the washer on...'cause I would have done as well.

That guitar is a beaut! I love the plain top - it looks so understated and classy...yet I'll bet it can get pretty ferocious.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

TFF Stage Crew

LOL yeah, it HAD to be done. It was like the fig leaf on Adam or something.

It sounds killer. The Bassman channel on the '68 Custom DR just roars vintage tweed/vintage Marshall sound. But for quieter volumes, into a good OD pedal and the silverface channel is pure sweetness. Super happy.

I suppose I should post the pics over at LPF so there'll be a record of someone on earth owning one of these guitars. Heh.

Forum Member

That is beauuuuutiful! Never seen one!

LOL yeah, it HAD to be done. It was like the fig leaf on Adam or something.

It sounds killer. The Bassman channel on the '68 Custom DR just roars vintage tweed/vintage Marshall sound. But for quieter volumes, into a good OD pedal and the silverface channel is pure sweetness. Super happy.

I suppose I should post the pics over at LPF so there'll be a record of someone on earth owning one of these guitars. Heh.
    The more I look at this guitar, I think I like the plain mahogany top even more than a HCS finish over flame maple. That looks like a real nice guitar to play Americana and Country/Rock on. (I know you don't do that but that's what I would use it for...)

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Forum Member

Basically it is a 1957 Black Beauty without the black and garish inlays! I likey!

Congrats Pete. Really nice. You'e got me thinking...darn you!

My O my that's a looker... Enjoy!

Well you guys were no help at all.

Couldn't resist the temptation and had to order one, since apparently nobody on the Interwebs has yet to own or play one and report about it. It arrived today and it really is a stunner. It is every bit a Les Paul and every bit a "standard." Fit and finish were perfect; intonation slightly off but easily fixed; burst-buckers with the push-pull pots for phase changes, coil splits and full bypass to the bridge pickup; 8 pounds, 4 oz.; locking tuners (but no robots, thanks very much); optional pickguard in the HSC.

I love it. Cranked it up through the Bassman channel of my '68 D.R. on 8 with no pedals, just using the volume knobs for different sounds... AMAZING. Totally in love. I hated taking the chance on a sight-unseen Lester but really lucked out here.

One note: I did order a Rhythm/Treble switch washer because I'm not sure I know how to deal with a Lester without it, but we'll see.

Just remembering the three positions is out of the question? I'm reminded of my old drummer who bought a Triumph Bonneville and tattooed "Brake" and "Clutch" on the backs of his hands. (Only later, when his gloves hid the labels, did he realize that he should have just stenciled them on his gauntlets.)
    Personally, I don't like 'em, but I can remember all 5 positions on my Strat, so 3 on a Gibson, no strain. Now my Strat with the S1 SCNs, who can remember all that, but how tiny would the labels have to be? I mean I'm in 3.5 diopter Dr. Dean Edell's, now so that won't work......
    Beautiful LP, bud! chip or no.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by JDUB View Post
    Just remembering the three positions is out of the question? I'm reminded of my old drummer who bought a Triumph Bonneville and tattooed "Brake" and "Clutch" on the backs of his hands. (Only later, when his gloves hid the labels, did he realize that he should have just stenciled them on his gauntlets.)
    Personally, I don't like 'em, but I can remember all 5 positions on my Strat, so 3 on a Gibson, no strain. Now my Strat with the S1 SCNs, who can remember all that, but how tiny would the labels have to be? I mean I'm in 3.5 diopter Dr. Dean Edell's, now so that won't work......
    Beautiful LP, bud! chip or no.
    Thanks. Yes, I can remember the positions. Been playing for 40 years. To be clear for you then, it was a cosmetic decision, not anything to do with needing to know how to work the instrument's controls.

Wow, interesting that you should ask this question right at this time! Just yesterday, I unpacked my new 2015 "Limited Edition" Classic Rock II Les Paul

http://www.gibson.com/products/elect...series-ii.aspx

Truth be told, I wasn't as impressed with it as I'd hoped, but then, I fell in love with my Eric Clapton signature model Stratocaster the moment I played it.

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/electri...ct-011760.html

I know it's too early to be disappointed, but I'm thinking maybe I let my desire for a Les Paul overtake my rational mind, and allowed me to buckle to a "pretty face" rather than an awesome axe!

I see zzsounds has one of these mahogany topped limited edition les pauls for $1,934. It's a blem. I wonder if I should consider selling my new 2015 and trading up to the 2016?

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Wow, interesting that you should ask this question right at this time! Just yesterday, I unpacked my new 2015 "Limited Edition" Classic Rock II Les Paul

http://www.gibson.com/products/elect...series-ii.aspx

Truth be told, I wasn't as impressed with it as I'd hoped, but then, I fell in love with my Eric Clapton signature model Stratocaster the moment I played it.

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/electri...ct-011760.html

I know it's too early to be disappointed, but I'm thinking maybe I let my desire for a Les Paul overtake my rational mind, and allowed me to buckle to a "pretty face" rather than an awesome axe!

I see zzsounds has one of these mahogany topped limited edition les pauls for $1,934. It's a blem. I wonder if I should consider selling my new 2015 and trading up to the 2016?
    I think eventually we all find that one guitar, or one guitar of a particular type, that really nails what we're after. I owned and sold ten to twelve different Strats before I got one in 2006 that fired on every cylinder for me. Same with Teles--I loved them, but was always changing this small thing or that small thing and never entirely happy until I got one (as a gift from the Mrs., and so completely sight-unseen) that was completely "right" to me. Finally, same with LPs. Love them, but never exactly what I was after. So far, and it has only been a short time granted, but so far this one is exactly right for me (except it needed the poker chip. LOL.) I haven't played the Strat at a gig at all since getting it, which for me is kind of shocking and unheard of.

So I can't say with any certainty that the 2016 would be better than the 2015 you aren't thrilled with, since this thread pretty much shows I took a total gamble on getting it without any other supporting info from the interwebs. I've gambled before and "broke even" or lost, but this one was a definite win. For my tastes (different than many), exact right neck size, exact right weight, exact right pickup config/sounds, really great "look," and it works with me when I play it, rather than fighting me. Which sounds dumb now that I type it, but still true.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    I think that the problem with the new LP, is that you own a KILLER '57 ES-225... Not a bad problem to have, in my humble opinion...
    I'm not going to disagree. I've had the ES-225 for nearly 40 years. It's got some mileage on it, but since it's been my regular player, I haven't always treated it like a display queen. I had to replace the tuning keys because the original ones crumbled away! I also replaced the volume and tone pots. The pick guard is slightly warped, but I've never seen it necessary to replace it.

A couple of months ago I took it to a luthier, who checked it out, filed the bottom E nut a slight bit, and then pronounced the guitar "perfectly set." He wouldn't even think of doing anything else with it. "It's a collectible," he said.

I'm not going to disagree. I've had the ES-225 for nearly 40 years. It's got some mileage on it, but since it's been my regular player, I haven't always treated it like a display queen. I had to replace the tuning keys because the original ones crumbled away! I also replaced the volume and tone pots. The pick guard is slightly warped, but I've never seen it necessary to replace it.

A couple of months ago I took it to a luthier, who checked it out, filed the bottom E nut a slight bit, and then pronounced the guitar "perfectly set." He wouldn't even think of doing anything else with it. "It's a collectible," he said.
    Did you see my '59 ES-225TD on the first page of this thread? Great guitars! Sadly, I don't play mine enough, though I cherish it!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Did you see my '59 ES-225TD on the first page of this thread? Great guitars! Sadly, I don't play mine enough, though I cherish it!
    Yes, I did -- and it's a very sweet guitar! I notice that your '59 has two pickups and a toggle switch. Mine has only a single.

Inspired by this (and some other) thread, I picked it up and gave it some playing time last night. A lovely guitar, with that semi-acoustic tone so loved by jazz musicians!

Yes, I did -- and it's a very sweet guitar! I notice that your '59 has two pickups and a toggle switch. Mine has only a single.

Inspired by this (and some other) thread, I picked it up and gave it some playing time last night. A lovely guitar, with that semi-acoustic tone so loved by jazz musicians!
    I was inspired by your post to play mine last night! It's a great guitar. I love it's acoustic sound- like a little cello. Too bad it's too quiet to perform with that way. I wonder what it would sound like with a pickup like a K&K in it.

What's nice is that you can rock out on it too. I played it through my Traynor YGM-3 then cranked it through my Soldano Astroverb last night!

One more pic, now with the switch-washer. Looks damn near perfect to my eye now. YMMV.

I like this a lot!

I like the washer on it too. That LP ooks damned fine.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

I bit on a Limited Edition a while back...

Last edited by renderit; 08-13-2017 at 06:34 AM.

A different kind of limited run - this Lester was built specifically for Guitar Center. It sounds as good as any Les Paul I've ever played, but only weighs 7.2 pounds and it cost less than $1000.

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Nice guitars!

TFF Stage Crew

Agreed! Those are both really good lookers!