Thread: I did it! NGD

Forum Member

I did it! NGD

I finally gots me a Tele after all these years. Or at least a Nocaster. This is a '51 style Wildwood 10. It has NOS finish, Twisted Tele Neck AND BRIDGE (which is new this year), and a 10" radius fatter than hell neck. I'm enjoying it now. It really is a lot thicker and greasier sounding when you drive it than I thought you could get from one of these. As I am not used to Tele's I expected much more unforgiving sounds out of it, but have been impressed. Even though I suck, I seem to get along with it just fine. Enough words, here be pictures.

Forum Member

Re: I did it! NGD

That is gorgeous. If ever I buy a second Tele from Fender, that's the one I'd want.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Stunning!

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Lordy lordy that is a awesome looking Tele! Enjoy!!!

killer piece, now you just need some boots to go with it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    killer piece, now you just need some boots to go with it.
    I gots me some o dem fishin' waders!

Beautiful! 6105 frets?

That, Sir, is a REAL tele.
    Congrats!

Tele's are the next best thing to a LP. Congrats.
    My other love is a TELECASTER. But don't tell my Les Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Fried Okra View Post

Welcome aboard, Fried.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by de Melo View Post
    Welcome aboard, Fried.
    Why, yes I am! Thank you for noticing...

Forum Member

Thanks all for the nice comments! I was really really really looking hard at the Danocasters and probably will still buy one. I thought they sounded awesome. But as I have a Collings 360 ST and then bought a Fender Strat and saw the differences I decided I would always wonder if I bought the Danocaster. Don't get me wrong, I think the Collings is a mythical beast and I like it better in a lot of cases than the Strat, but I need a baseline. I am working up some interesting crap and I wanted the standards of the industry to play/test with. Now I have them. Les Pauls, ES's, SG's, Strats, Tele's.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    That's the one to get for sure! I was actually looking at that one... BIG neck specs, which I love...

Congrats and enjoy...
    The only thing I gots bigger is my.................2014 R4 neck.

Forum Member

Give me some time with it and I may agree. I actually have a lot of fondnesses for ES/SG/Junior/Special/Collings right now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    That is gorgeous. If ever I buy a second Tele from Fender, that's the one I'd want.
    What's the first if I may ask? Something vintagely delicious?

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Why, yes I am! Thank you for noticing...

Give me some time with it and I may agree. I actually have a lot of fondnesses for ES/SG/Junior/Special/Collings right now.
    How is it growing on you?

What's the first if I may ask? Something vintagely delicious?
    The first is the one I own, a delicious 2011? AmStd Telecaster that I've fitted with Nocasters. It's my main Fender now, and I played it almost exclusively in a band for a year and a half. Such a wonderful guitar--and not a scratch on it, though I rode it hard over the last two years.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

How is it growing on you?
    Alright. Seems all I was worried about never came to pass. I.E. everybody said they were tough to play. I don't feel it is any tougher than anything else with single coils. Not sayin' I play worth a chit, I don't. But no worse. On the other hand I have to spend time again dialing in my amps until I get used to it. That is kinda a pain in the butt. I am used to throwing on a P90 or Humbuckered fiddle and they both sound great with very little changing on the amp. My Collings 360 and Grosh maybe a tad here and there, the Strat more, the Tele even more. On the other hand I love the neck. And she dirts up great...

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    The first is the one I own, a delicious 2011? AmStd Telecaster that I've fitted with Nocasters. It's my main Fender now, and I played it almost exclusively in a band for a year and a half. Such a wonderful guitar--and not a scratch on it, though I rode it hard over the last two years.
    That is what I had hoped I'd hit. I really didn't want to spend much on a tele. I got what I did only because of lack of knowledge. I just felt safer because I don't know what you guys know. I'm happy with it. I would have been happier if I found something like you have. That would show I know something. Oh well, I was never accused of being the sharpest crayon in the box...

Alright. Seems all I was worried about never came to pass. I.E. everybody said they were tough to play. I don't feel it is any tougher than anything else with single coils. Not sayin' I play worth a chit, I don't. But no worse. On the other hand I have to spend time again dialing in my amps until I get used to it. That is kinda a pain in the butt. I am used to throwing on a P90 or Humbuckered fiddle and they both sound great with very little changing on the amp. My Collings 360 and Grosh maybe a tad here and there, the Strat more, the Tele even more. On the other hand I love the neck. And she dirts up great...

That is what I had hoped I'd hit. I really didn't want to spend much on a tele. I got what I did only because of lack of knowledge. I just felt safer because I don't know what you guys know. I'm happy with it. I would have been happier if I found something like you have. That would show I know something. Oh well, I was never accused of being the sharpest crayon in the box...
    I mean IMO if you're going to try something out, give yourself the best chance of liking it.

Of course my dad always said I was too snobby about stuff but I'm not in it to fizzle out.

I got very lucky. Being a lefty, I had to order it online without ever having played it. I expected to like it a lot, but I'd always been a Strat guy. I didn't expect it to become my number 1. I don't live with it like I do my acoustic guitar these last 10 months out of a band situation. If I were holed up in a cabin in solitary confinement like Walter White (Heisenberg), I'd hope to have the Tele with me.

It is delicious and tastes good as well. If I got hungry, I could take a bite anywhere and the guitar would still be substantial enough to play.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    I mean IMO if you're going to try something out, give yourself the best chance of liking it.

Of course my dad always said I was too snobby about stuff but I'm not in it to fizzle out.
    Which was my logic.

I think you made a good choice.

I had a nocaster during my halcyon days of gear whoring, I would definitely like to have another one someday

I think you did good! Those "Perfect 10's" are a cool concept, vintage tones with modern appointments.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"