Thread: Anyone find a good drum machine app for the iPad 2?

Forum Member

Anyone find a good drum machine app for the iPad 2?

I was considering getting a used drum machine and discovered I could get a drum machine app for an iPad. Curious to know if anyone has found a great drum machine app for the iPad or would I be better off getting a dedicated drum machine. If so what brand and model would be a good unit? I also have garage band in my apple laptop. I discovered it too has a built in drum machine. I have yet to try it out. What do you fellas suggest I use?

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Anyone find a good drum machine app for the iPad 2?

I have "Akai iMPC" pro app and the Korg iElectribe. Great sounds on both--very different interfaces obviously based on the original hardware versions of those boxes. Nothing quite as easy (for me) as the Yamaha RX-11 I had way back in the day, but I can dial up a beat to practice along with super quickly on either, which is all I really use them for.

I actually wish I hadn't gone with the "pro" version of the MPC because it's way more than I need--tons of samples to do actual production stuff with. But it does a really nice job.

Forum Member

Thanks PC. I just looked in the App Store and there are a few there that are only $3-$4 dollars including the app you mentioned. I will look into them further.

Forum Member

Thanks KennyF. Why do you like it? I will look into it.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    I've been using Addictive Drums...
    I don't think that's available on iPad though, is it? I can't find it on the App Store anywhere.

Forum Member

Addictive drums looks like a great app. I couldn't find it in the apple App Store so I googled it and found it on the Web. The least expensive purchase is $99.00. I am looking for something more entry level price wise. Thanks though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    Ooooops... I thought they did...

No problem... Sorry for the false lead...
    No worries. It was worth a look.

Does GarageBand for iPad include the drum loops like in the full GB Mac app?

Edit: looks like it does, just downloading now ($6.99) - GarageBand for iOS.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Does GarageBand for iPad include the drum loops like in the full GB Mac app?

Edit: looks like it does, just downloading now ($6.99) - GarageBand for iOS.
    If you have a chance post your thoughts about it.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Trav-ler View Post
    If you have a chance post your thoughts about it.
    I have it too and didn't really think of it as a drum loop machine, but it certainly can be. It's just more time consuming to set up a beat than a drum machine app, but the sound quality is excellent.

And, FWIW, it really is an outstanding little recording app too. I've done several 2- to 4-track demos on it in the last few months and it does well. I wish it had as much MIDI flexibility as the desktop version, but for a fairly cheap app it's dynamite.