Thread: Ahhh, Gibson, with your bewitching array of cool axes!

Ahhh, Gibson, with your bewitching array of cool axes!

I was ruminating on Gibsons the other day, as I've been known to do...and thinking about my thread where I say that - no matter what - I always have a Fender with me at a gig - whether the other guitar be a Gibson or a Gretsch...

But last gig the Fender I had was a Telecaster Deluxe, with its more Gibson-y humbuckers.

And of course my (new to me) Flying V.

The V acquitted itself admirably, and played like butta...which leads me to my point.

In the Fender world, most people get a Strat or two, a Tele or two, and call it good. Some more adventurous types might get a Jag or JM, but in general, with 3 Fenders, I have all my bases covered (Strat, Tele, Tele Deluxe).

It's the Gibsons that make me feel like I need more, more, more...after all, what's a Flying V without an Explorer to go with it? What's an SG without a Firebird to sit beside it and keep it company? What about a P90 equipped LP Jr. or Special? And what about the Melody Maker? The Moderne? And I haven't even touched on the hollowbodies!!!!!

I myself have 2 SG's (a Gibson with ceramic p'ups - very clear sounding - and an Epi with upmarket p'ups and a Bigsby), an LP Jr (TV yellow with (yuk) min-E-tune), and a Flying V, plus an Epi Firebird VII that's cooler looking and playing and less cool sounding. That's 5 Gibson styled guitars to my 3 Fenders.

And I keep obsessing whenever I see Bonamassa's collection. And - YES - I see the major hole in my collection is a Les Paul but those darned things are too expensive.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Re: Ahhh, Gibson, with your bewitching array of cool axes!

Ive vacillated between wanting all the guitars and almost no guitars, and the same with pedals and amps.

right now I'm downsizing. I'm down to one Fender, one Gibson, and a PRS. Im totally satisfied with my guitars and pedals; right now it's a third amp I want (maybe too badly)

I am loyal to the Fender and Gibson: I am no purist, and I really dig the product I've gotten from them. Sure, I'd love a golden age of Standards with bumble bee capacitors and a moon roof.

With two Strats and a Tele that fulfill my dream Fender tones, my dreams turn to Gibson. I'm in love with my LP, and I dream of having a block-inlay 335, and I know that I'll eventually plop down for a copy of an Explorer (Gibson won't make one in a lefty). Johnnie, I'd love to have a real Gibson Flying V.

My go to at the moment is the LP. Perfect for what I'm writing and recording.
    Last edited by ch willie; 03-05-2016 at 09:55 AM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

My humbucker needs are mostly met by my Epi ES-335 Pro and Carvin DC150. That doesn't mean that I don't dream of a Gibson ES-335 and Les Paul- I'm just not enough of a "Gibson guy" to warrant spending the money for them.

My '59 ES-225 covers my hollow body P-90 needs, though it ties up more funds than I like.

I'd really like an R4! I'm not a huge gold top fan but I love P-90s in a solid body!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    Ive vacillated between wanting all the guitars and almost no guitars, and the same with pedals and amps.

right now I'm downsizing. I'm down to one Fender, one Gibson, and a PRS. Im totally satisfied with my guitars and pedals; right now it's a third amp I want (maybe too badly)
    I'm on a downsizing kick also. I've got the first 5 spots in my 7 space guitar case/rack spoken for by these:

EJ Strat, GE Smith Tele, R7 w/minis, R9, and a CR6.

Trying to pick the axes for the last two spots is killing me. I know, first world problems...

Currently I need to fill the last two spots with two of the guitars below:

Hollowbody: Heritage RC custom ordered w/flamed headstock, or Hamer Monaco Super Pro?

2d Tele: G&L ASAT w/1.75" neck option and Ebony board or '13 American Standard?

2d Strat: Hardtail RS Stepside w/factory JM Rolphs pups or '94 Hamer Daytona in swamp ash with Duncan SL1s?

Another Gibson: '13 LP Standard or SG Deluxe Bigsby w/3 pups and tog pot to blend the middle pup in or Nashville Junior w/B Bender?

Custom: Jr style Giffin double cut with ebony board, tortoise binding, and Wolfetone P90

Problem is all of the above bring something unique to the table that isn't covered by any of the core 5...

Any ideas?
    Last edited by DanD; 03-05-2016 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    In the Gibson realm, to me, the absolute necessities are a P-90 LP, a Humbucker LP and a 335... When it comes to Fender, again, to me, it's all about my Strat... I don't consider myself a Gibson or Fender guy... I'm more of a "the guitars I like" kinda guy, which are really just MY guitars, the guitars I own...
    ditto!

Although I still am more of a Fender man

I have a love affair with P90's! Currently, I'm enamored with my DeArmond I loaded with custom wound 5/2 mag P90's. It's sorta like Neil Young's. I'd like to get a nice Gold Top with a wraparound bridge someday. And maybe an SG or Firebird with Mini's. And while I like looking at beautiful guitars from all makers, the 12" radius of Gibson guitars is not comfy to me. Guess I spent too many years playing 7.25"?
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    I'm on a downsizing kick also. I've got the first 5 spots in my 7 space guitar case/rack spoken for by these:

EJ Strat, GE Smith Tele, R7 w/minis, R9, and a CR6.

Trying to pick the axes for the last two spots is killing me. I know, first world problems...

Currently I need to fill the last two spots with two of the guitars below:

Hollowbody: Heritage RC custom ordered w/flamed headstock, or Hamer Monaco Super Pro?

2d Tele: G&L ASAT w/1.75" neck option and Ebony board or '13 American Standard?

2d Strat: Hardtail RS Stepside w/factory JM Rolphs pups or '94 Hamer Daytona in swamp ash with Duncan SL1s?

Another Gibson: '13 LP Standard or SG Deluxe Bigsby w/3 pups and tog pot to blend the middle pup in or Nashville Junior w/B Bender?

Custom: Jr style Giffin double cut with ebony board, tortoise binding, and Wolfetone P90

Problem is all of the above bring something unique to the table that isn't covered by any of the core 5...

Any ideas?
    you might be surprised how much of a unique instrument a nice 24 fret guitar is. I like PRS; they are not the only makers though.

you could get a custom 24 and a Gretsch if you want something different, or if you'd rather stay a bit closer to home maybe a Suhr Modern and a Tele with lollartrons/filtertrons?

All of your suggestions are good choices; just outside my personal comfort zone.

the only thing I can tell you for certain is that going from 5 to 7 is sort of the opposite of downsizing; though if you know a good trick to convince people otherwise it would make some conversations a bit easier for me

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    you might be surprised how much of a unique instrument a nice 24 fret guitar is. I like PRS; they are not the only makers though.

you could get a custom 24 and a Gretsch if you want something different, or if you'd rather stay a bit closer to home maybe a Suhr Modern and a Tele with lollartrons/filtertrons?

All of your suggestions are good choices; just outside my personal comfort zone.

the only thing I can tell you for certain is that going from 5 to 7 is sort of the opposite of downsizing; though if you know a good trick to convince people otherwise it would make some conversations a bit easier for me
    I'm going from 19 to 7. The guitars listed are all ones I already own. I have 5 I know I'm keeping so I'm trying to filter through the remaining 14 to keep 2.

My SG Deluxe is a 24 fret guitar w/Bigsby and three 'buckers. It definitely brings something different to the table but so do all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    My SG Deluxe is a 24 fret guitar w/Bigsby and three 'buckers. It definitely brings something different to the table but so do all the others.
    SHHH! Don't tell anyone you're not keeping that SG. I think they just made SGs mandatory in some states. Like mine.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Thornton Heath, Surrey in The London Borough of Croydon, England

I want a Gibson VOS Les Paul Standard I once played on.

My guitar's chambered with a thinner neck, oppose to the fat ones on the Gibson VOS Les Pauls like on an original 1958 Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Love my 1996 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard though.