Thread: 49 Snakehead Prototype

49 Snakehead Prototype

For my vintage correct Snakehead Build, I was wondering, if anyone here knows the specs ans dimms of the original 49 Snakehead Bridge?

I know that it seems to be shorter than an Tele or Esquier Bridge, it has just a 3 Screw Body connection, and left open corners.
    But could it be, that the angle of the Pickup differs as well?
    Also I´m very interested in the dimms and material of the Saddles (on the CS Reissue, some looked like brass, some like steel).

Thanks very much for your help in advance!

Greetings from the Sauerland!

(The land of the 1000 Hills!)

Re: 49 Snakehead Prototype

From what I was taught, the Snakehead was based off the lap steel. So I would look at how Fender was building those guitars in 48 & 49. I do know that the body was 1.5" Pine. From what I know, I think the saddles were brass, but I've also seen steel.

Just an FYI: Keef used to buy old Fender lap steels to pilfer the pup out of. Back then the only difference was the baseplate. So you used to be able to buy a real pre 55 Tele pup for CHEAP! That's all gone now... People caught onto the "trick". So, if you're looking for a "correct" version of the pickup, look for a reference to lap steels or "lap wraps". Stuff like that. Biggest key to the real correct tone is something with Alnico 3 mags.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"