Thread: Refretting of Japenese Rosewood 1986 Tele

Refretting of Japenese Rosewood 1986 Tele

Good Evening all,
    Newboy here in France..go easy! Looking for some good advice concerning my 86 Japenese Rosewood Telecaster. I'm refretting after a VERY BAD job done by a pro. . I'll go into details later and get some pickies up as soon as I can work out how to...
    a pleasure to be a part of the forum!!
    a bientôt

Re: Refretting of Japenese Rosewood 1986 Tele

so anyway, needed a refrett, fretts were really worn but had put it off for as long as possible because I was so worried about it going wrong.....I even considered selling her before but.;no way!! Finally built up the courage and went to see a local luthiers. He assured me he knew how to handle rosewood fretboards and not to worry. Left her with him. Couple of weeks later got the call to come and pick her up.....
    [IMG][/IMG] did an excellent job on the fretts but put a TON of varnish on the board. I was nearly sick. This guitar went from my favourite (I've had this guitar since 86) to a guitar I couldn't look at, never mind play.
    That was last year, I have now decided to refrett it myself.

Wow, that's tough!!!! Only idea of why he put finish on the board is that maybe he chipped out some of the Rosewood while refretting?

I hope you get this straightened out. If not, just buy a new or "pulled" neck and keep playing your guitar.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

well, I managed to get the frets out and cleaned of all the varnish.....there are a few chips but in general I would say the condition is still very good....have a look, this is where I'm up to. If anyone is intrested on how I removed the varnish I will be happy to go into details.. What I would really like to know is what radius frets do I buy? and what sort of oil should I use on the fretboard? I actually love the feel of this wood as it is. I would like to leave it like this.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Linseed oil is great for nourishing non-maple necks.
    Don't pickle it...wipe it on and wipe it off.
    Take care,stay well.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Yes Kenny F, this will be my first time refretting a guitar. I would definitely not have chosen this guitar to start with but I really trust my own hands and with all the tips and information around these days I decided to go for it. Nothing to lose, I couldn't stand the guitar after the refrett. A saying in France 'your never better served than when you serve yourself'
    Last edited by Telenorman; 02-05-2016 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Telenorman View Post
    'your never better served than when you serve yourself'
    This is why I do most of my own guitar, amp, car and appliance repair. That, and I enjoy repairing things.

I agree Don, I had an old Sound City 120 that needed some attention. I had no experience what so ever with electronics and still managed to repair it with a little help online.
    If anyone does know what type of fretts I should order then please let me know!! cheers!!!

Frets don't come radiused, you do that yourself. That will be determined by the neck radius. I think you may mean which wire profile, in which case it's a personal choice. Just remember you can always dress them down but going up won't work. When you level the frets it's nice to have a wee bit of extra profile to work with.

With a Tele I also highly recommend undercutting the tabs. Gives a silky smooth feel and if you ever run into fret sprout issues later they can be much more easily remedied.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim