Thread: john 5 triple tele

Forum Member

john 5 triple tele

Hello all, I am new to the site and have always been a gibson guy but looking into the John 5 triple telecaster. Can anyone give me any reviews on the guitar? I have seen and player the cheaper squier version but not the triple telecaster.Any info would be awesome.
    Thanks all

Re: john 5 triple tele

Many years ago, I saved up a lot of money to buy a Gibson SG/Les Paul with 3 pickups. I wanted the white one with gold hardware like Buck Dharma played in Blue Oyster Cult.

I found a real nice used one. Sat down to play it. And was immediately disturbed by the middle pickup being in the way of my picking.

The middle pickup doesn't allow for sufficient picking depth and, for me, made the guitar a nightmare to play. I was devastated! YMMV
    We've got the CuNiFe

Forum Member

That was my biggest concern. When i play a hss strat i sometimes hit the middle pickup as well.
    Thanks

I usually drop the middle pup on a Strat flat with the pickguard. Partially so I don't hit it, and also because I like the way it sounds better that way.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Those J5 teles look badass!

I've had mixed success with 3 humbucker guitars. Generally I just ignore the middle pickup; back it down to the lowest level (even with the scratchplate) and turn its volume off. But that was with 3 pickup Gibson-style guitars. I'm wondering if the J5 tele will work for you. It looks pretty amazing to be sure!

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Has anybody actually played a song on the middle pup of Strat? AFAIK it's only there for the tweeners, LOL!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Has anybody actually played a song on the middle pup of Strat? AFAIK it's only there for the tweeners, LOL!
    Dude, lots of Skynard tunes are played on the middle pickup alone. Try playing Sweet Home Alabama on the middle pickup. Nails the sound!

I use my middle pickup all the time.
    We've got the CuNiFe

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I've been setting up my Strats so the middle position (#3) of the 5 way is the neck and bridge pup.

Never been a fan of the middle pup by its lonesome.

I've got two humbuckers in the bridge and neck of one Strat, with a single coil AmStd pup in the middle. i go to it all the time. It's got enough treble on it to cut through.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison