Thread: DRRI vs Original "65" Deluxe Reverb Cabinet Construction

DRRI vs Original "65" Deluxe Reverb Cabinet Construction

Actually, I have 2 questions about the original FENDER "65" Deluxe Reverb...

#1. What wood was used in the "originals"? I see a lot of replacement cabinets (for DRRIs) that are made from finger jointed pine with plywood baffles.

#2. Did the originals have metal disks ("Sphinx Glides") on the bottom of the cab? I'm thinking about putting large rubber feet on my DRRI cab in place of the disks ("Sphinx Glides") Can those be removed without damaging the Tolex?

I'm thinking about getting a different cab (possibly different color) for my DRRI. I like the tones I'm getting with it now. I have a WGS ET 65 in it and I'm using a Sparkle Drive for a dirt pedal. This combination gets me pretty close to some of the tones I get out of either of my MESA/Boogie Express 5:50 amps. I really like the ET 65 in this amp and I might even leave the bright cap intact.

Thanks!

The following is some info on the current DRRI:

General Specs:
    Model Name: '65 Deluxe Reverb®
    Series: Vintage Reissue
    Amplifier Type: Tube
    Electronics:
    Inputs: 4 Inputs (2 per Channel)
    Auxiliary Input: 1/4" Footswitch Jack
    Extension Speaker Jack: External Speaker Jack
    Channels: Two Channels (Normal and Vibrato)
    Power Handling: 22 Watts into 8 Ohms
    Rectifier: 5AR4 Rectifier Tube
    Controls:
    Normal Channel: Volume, Treble, Bass.
    Vibrato Channel: Volume, Treble, Bass, Reverb.
    Vibrato: Speed, Intensity
    Hardware:
    Cabinet Material: Baltic Birch Plywood
    Cabinet Pilot Light Jewel: Red Amp Jewel
    Handle: Molded Black Handle
    Front Panel: "Blackface"TM Style Control Panel
    Amplifier Length: 9.5" (24.13 cm)
    Amplifier Width: 24.5" (62.2 cm)
    Amplifier Height: 17.5" (44.5 cm)
    Amplifier Weight: 42 lbs. (19.05 kg)
    Effects: Tube Driven Spring Reverb, Tube Vibrato
    Speakers: Speaker: 1-12" Jensen® C-12K, 8 Ohm Speaker with Ceramic Magnet.
    Speaker Impedance: 8 Ohm
    Tubes:
    Preamp Tubes: 4 x 12AX7, 2 X 12AT7
    Power Tubes: 2 x 6V6
    Miscellaneous:
    Unique Features: Tube Driven Spring Reverb, Tube Vibrato, 2-Button footswitch, Baltic Birch Plywood Cabinet
    Accessories:
    Footswitch: Uses 2-Button Footswitch p/n 0994058000
    Knobs: Skirted Amp Knobs
    Accessories: 2-Button Footswitch
    Included Cover: Optional Amp Cover Available
    ~Yardbird~

"03" Les Paul Standard (Ebony finish)
    "04" Les Paul 1959 Reissue (DarkBurst)
    "04" FENDER Standard Stratocaster (Sage Green) Rosewood fretboard - 2004 model

2011 FENDER Deluxe Reverb RI
    2012 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50
    2013 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50 plus head with 2 23" 1 X 12 MESA LoneStar cabs

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: DRRI vs Original "65" Deluxe Reverb Cabinet Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Yardbird Mac View Post
    #1. What wood was used in the "originals"? I see a lot of replacement cabinets (for DRRIs) that are made from finger jointed pine with plywood baffles.
    An original Deluxe Reverb Amp made before 1971 will be housed in a pine-plank cabinet with the corner angles secured via ¼-inch finger joints. The removable baffle board will be ½-inch MDF attached to the cabinet at both sides via 1" x 3/4" pine cleats. The upper and lower rear panels are ¼-inch pine plywood. Initially the "feet" were the nail-on types used on the Princeton and Champ models. By mid/late '65 this spec was altered in favor of the more common (and sturdier) screw-on sphinx glides. The underside of the cabinet top featured metal screening affixed with staples to provide a modicum of RF shielding for the chassis. Neither metal corners nor tilt-back legs were fitted at the factory though the latter were often added by dealers at the customer's request. The tube chart indicating bottle positions and the circuit revision was glued to the power-tranny side of the cab's interior. The Deluxe Reverb's original AB763 circuit was altered in August of 1968 but the tube chart was never updated to reflect this change. Ink-stamped production numbers and date codes for tube charts were discontinued in late 1967.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    An original Deluxe Reverb Amp made before 1971 will be housed in a pine-plank cabinet with the corner angles secured via ¼-inch finger joints. The removable baffle board will be ½-inch MDF attached to the cabinet at both sides via 1" x 3/4" pine cleats. The upper and lower rear panels are ¼-inch pine plywood. Initially the "feet" were the nail-on types used on the Princeton and Champ models. By mid/late '65 this spec was altered in favor of the more common (and sturdier) screw-on sphinx glides. The underside of the cabinet top featured metal screening affixed with staples to provide a modicum of RF shielding for the chassis. Neither metal corners nor tilt-back legs were fitted at the factory though the latter were often added by dealers at the customer's request. The tube chart indicating bottle positions and the circuit revision was glued to the power-tranny side of the cab's interior. The Deluxe Reverb's original AB763 circuit was altered in August of 1968 but the tube chart was never updated to reflect this change. Ink-stamped production numbers and date codes for tube charts were discontinued in late 1967.
    Thanks for the "heads up".

Here's the "real" question... Do you know if there is much, if any, weight difference in the original "65" and the DRRI? At least for a little while, weight is an issue. I just started playing again while recovering from a left below knee leg amputation in May. I'm walking again with the help of a prosthesis and I'll be graduating from a walker to a cane within the week (I have a great physical therapy team!!!). Both of my MESAs are in the basement and until I can transport those easily, the DRRI is my amp of choice. I'm not playing either Les Paul yet. I have a tall bar stool I sit on and sling my trusty Strat over my shoulder and rock on! I've even given some thought to picking up a Princeton Reverb kit. A close friend of mine is a regional contract FENDER amp repair tech. He would be the builder.
    ~Yardbird~

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

The transformers in the DRRI are *slightly* smaller than those of the original amps -- that *might* imply a slight weight reduction for the re-issue model but the physical size differential is very small and it wouldn't be very significant (perhaps a few ounces at most). If overall weight reduction is the objective, a neodymium speaker might provide the solution.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    The transformers in the DRRI are *slightly* smaller than those of the original amps -- that *might* imply a slight weight reduction for the re-issue model but the physical size differential is very small and it wouldn't be very significant (perhaps a few ounces at most). If overall weight reduction is the objective, a neodymium speaker might provide the solution.
    THANKS!!!
    ~Yardbird~