Thread: NRD-New Rig Day

NRD-New Rig Day

Been away doing other things musically but I have decided to lose my mind and start a band. Here is my new rig toward that end. What say you good people?
    Remember! It is the indian, not the arrow! Although the arrow can help.

Re: NRD-New Rig Day

Colorful rig!

What kind of music are you playing with it?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Nothing to fancy. Los Lobos to Tom Petty and all points in between. Maybe some Commander Cody. Oh, and some Buck.

Excellent -- love the blue.

Rule #1 - Have fun.
    Rule #2 - If not having fun, see Rule #1.

Cool rig but you gotta get a pair of these....

On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Quote Originally Posted by TT100 View Post
    Cool rig but you gotta get a pair of these....
    TT100 wins.

Los lobos on a tele?

in one word: cool

Those shoes are awesome! Too pretty to step on a pedal with.

Quote Originally Posted by de Melo View Post
    Los lobos on a tele?

+1...

Nice rig I love floral Tele's... What Vox Amp is that?

Dig it! Tele and a VOX? I'm in!!!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Shoes aside, the Vox sound is intriguing. I've been listening to a lot of Kid Ramos lately. Strat into AC30. Love the bright bite. Are the current made in China Vox decent repros?

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

The amp is an AC15C1. I have never owned a Vox amp before. So far I am really digging it.

My next acquisition will be a Vox amp... They sound great with Fenders for vintage tones.

Quote Originally Posted by de Melo View Post
    Los lobos on a tele?

My memory may be faulty but didn't Los Lobos use a Tele(Cesar)/Strat(David) combination on their early hits?
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Cesar and David have played a few different guitars down through the years. In the DVD live at the Fillmore David plays most of the show on a firebird. since then mostly teles. Cesar stayed with Gibbys most of the show. But at the Crossroads festival, a bunch of Fenders. Los Lobos maybe my favorite band currently.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bignote View Post
    The amp is an AC15C1. I have never owned a Vox amp before. So far I am really digging it.
    Will it be loud enough? Or are you mic'ing the backline?

WOW .....gorgeous and congratulations
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Forum Member

Very nice!

I miss my old floral Tele.

Quote Originally Posted by terry View Post
    Will it be loud enough? Or are you mic'ing the backline?
    Holy crap! Where would an AC15 not be loud enough??!!!!!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    When you're using it in a full band and not putting it through the PA. However, it does depend on what the other band members are using and whether they have a drummer.

When it comes up against OSA's Strat or Tele through the Rat into the DRRI.

When you're using it in a full band and not putting it through the PA. However, it does depend on what the other band members are using and whether they have a drummer.
    If you're in a small-to-medium club and the drummer's drowning out the AC15, then you either need to get a new drummer, tell the drummer to lighten up, or buy the guy some blast sticks. (those are the ones made up of bundles of small dowels).

Or do what I did - find a drummer who's willing to play a quality Roland electronic drum kit when inside the small clubs.

Oh, and tell the bass player to leave his 8x10 Ampeg SVT bottom at home. Tell him to get a small 2x10 cabinet and a 300-watt brick-sized David Eden head and save his back and everyone's ears.

Seriously. Some of these amps and cabinets are designed for arenas.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

I call BS. I'd fire the drummer on the spot. The old "loud drummer" argument is old and tired.

I've played outdoor festivals with a DRRI. If you need more FOH you mike it. There's no reason for that loud a stage volume, and it will invariably sound like crap - a mush with no separation of the instruments. Bands that sound like ass have been making it difficult for the good ones lately. Generally, the bigger the band, the smaller the amp. If you're doing a surf power trio, OK, open it up with a Super and have a blast, but when things get crowded you have to learn to work in your space, not overpower.

Isn't it amazing that a violin player can do an awesome solo in front of a full orchestra without an amp? Ever wonder how they do that? We musicians call that "dynamics".

Same thing applies to rock bands. And if your AC15 isn't cutting (an amp FAMOUS for cut, BTW) then, without ever having seen your rig I'll bet you're using too much effect and drive, or your AC15 is broken. If you can't be heard you need to play cleaner, not turn op the volume.

Go get a free app for your phone that measures dB. If the stage volume is over 82 dB, you've got some issues to attend to.

YMMV, but I've been playing live for 40 years.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Great amps! Wish I had one for sure, and probably will eventually.

As far as ...is it enough?
    Yeah - it should be for most situations. If it isn't your thing and my thing are just THAT far apart.

Played many outdoor and even festival gigs with blues Juniors, Old vibrolux, and yeah - bigger amps, but honestly, they work well if the operator has a clue what he is doing.

OSA - we don't always see on the same level, but I am with you on this one. loud drummers, and frankly other members sure can be a real issue.

You would be surprised how many touring acts are not using huge amps. You have to play to the room, and honestly if you can add it into the PA, as needed, that is a great way to go. That said, there is a time and place for bigger amps, but the old adage that if its too loud, your too old is pretty much Bullshit.

I have had many gigs and venues lost because the band was too loud, and had real sound issues for the same reason.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

For so many gigs, a small amp will cover it.

But I like the feel of the air on my legs when I play large outdoor gigs, and then, the half stack comes into good use.

I have nothing against mic-ing amps for most indoor gigs. Never had a problem with using a mic. I've always been able to turn the amp up loud enough to get warmth, so I don't mind mic-ing. It is an excellent way to go.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

I call BS. I'd fire the drummer on the spot. The old "loud drummer" argument is old and tired.

I've played outdoor festivals with a DRRI. If you need more FOH you mike it. There's no reason for that loud a stage volume, and it will invariably sound like crap - a mush with no separation of the instruments. Bands that sound like ass have been making it difficult for the good ones lately. Generally, the bigger the band, the smaller the amp. If you're doing a surf power trio, OK, open it up with a Super and have a blast, but when things get crowded you have to learn to work in your space, not overpower.

Isn't it amazing that a violin player can do an awesome solo in front of a full orchestra without an amp? Ever wonder how they do that? We musicians call that "dynamics".

Same thing applies to rock bands. And if your AC15 isn't cutting (an amp FAMOUS for cut, BTW) then, without ever having seen your rig I'll bet you're using too much effect and drive, or your AC15 is broken. If you can't be heard you need to play cleaner, not turn op the volume.

Go get a free app for your phone that measures dB. If the stage volume is over 82 dB, you've got some issues to attend to.

YMMV, but I've been playing live for 40 years.

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I think I mentioned putting it through the PA, perhaps you missed that bit.
    Incidentally,I have been playing for 50 years and I think you have been jumping to far too mmany conclusions with regard to my experience and, indeed, my musicianship.

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I think I mentioned putting it through the PA, perhaps you missed that bit.
    Incidentally,I have been playing for 50 years and I think you have been jumping to far too mmany conclusions with regard to my experience and, indeed, my musicianship.
    I don't think I see a criticism of your experience or your musicianship in OSA's comments...

Chuck (OSA) takes issue with the "drummer's too loud" argument; he makes a statement that the AC15 is good at cutting through...as well, your most recent statement specifically mentions NOT mic'ing the amp...plus, if you'd been on this forum for more than 3 months you'd know that he is notorious for talking about setting the EQ appropriately to get 'cut' without being too loud and about experimenting with volume/drive/EQ settings to get your "tone" at gig-appropriate volumes.

And as the former lead singer/rhythm guitarist in the band that OSA played in a half-dozen years ago, I can tell you that at about 3-1/2 to 4 on the volume dial, his DRRI was the crispest and clearest Fender I've heard outside of a Twin Reverb. So he does know that of which he speaks - and we DID have a drummer that was on the louder side, and I WAS able to use my AC15 un-mic'ed most of the time and it ALMOST hung in there with the DRRI...but a Sennheiser E607 side-address mic is cheap...just hang it over the amp, wrapping the cable once around the handle...your ears will thank you and so will the soundman, when you back off the volume a smidge. It'll be clearer and everyone's onstage experience will be twice as nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    I WAS able to use my AC15 un-mic'ed most of the time and it ALMOST hung in there with the DRRI...but a Sennheiser E607 side-address mic is cheap...just hang it over the amp, wrapping the cable once around the handle...your ears will thank you and so will the soundman, when you back off the volume a smidge. It'll be clearer and everyone's onstage experience will be twice as nice.
    I use 609's or 57s whichever I have at arms reach, and agree! Its nice not having ringing ears at the end of the night.

Did sound for one band in particular, no matter what I tried, the drummer hit so hard I couldn't get the vocals to appear in the monitors over him. I was so glad when they hired another sound guy - who had much more powerful monitors. Funny thing was - when I went to see them (we are still friends - all a professional relationship on that) the vocals in monitors almost carried the room. I was glad to see they finally replaced the drummer - and its all much cleaner now.

I say that to say this........
    playing appropriate levels sure is important - and in a lot of cases - the ac15 should be ok on its own.
    In cases where you can wind up a twin or a super or something - YES!! That is great , but having done sound for a few seasoned folks I find that many have gone to micing in great amps, or playing to the room. Anthony Gomes uses two marshall half stack rigs, and controls his volume -(He is a rare one). My friend tommy uses a Marshall half stack, and different heads depending on the venue. He again - is a great one to work with and "gets it".

BTW - guilty of being "the loud guy" myself - used to used a ampeg svt410 hlf, and 1600 watt head. WAY too much for most rooms, and now, I can't believe I was "that guy". Time and place for it, but many of the rooms I was playing - it was ridiculous!
    Kenny Belmont

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    Looks like a winner to me... I love my VOX amp...

Holy .... !!!!
    That's my guitar from "way back when" and still looking for one of these!
    Great setup!!

I don't think I see a criticism of your experience or your musicianship in OSA's comments...

Chuck (OSA) takes issue with the "drummer's too loud" argument; he makes a statement that the AC15 is good at cutting through...as well, your most recent statement specifically mentions NOT mic'ing the amp...plus, if you'd been on this forum for more than 3 months you'd know that he is notorious for talking about setting the EQ appropriately to get 'cut' without being too loud and about experimenting with volume/drive/EQ settings to get your "tone" at gig-appropriate volumes.

And as the former lead singer/rhythm guitarist in the band that OSA played in a half-dozen years ago, I can tell you that at about 3-1/2 to 4 on the volume dial, his DRRI was the crispest and clearest Fender I've heard outside of a Twin Reverb. So he does know that of which he speaks - and we DID have a drummer that was on the louder side, and I WAS able to use my AC15 un-mic'ed most of the time and it ALMOST hung in there with the DRRI...but a Sennheiser E607 side-address mic is cheap...just hang it over the amp, wrapping the cable once around the handle...your ears will thank you and so will the soundman, when you back off the volume a smidge. It'll be clearer and everyone's onstage experience will be twice as nice.
    Thanks Johnny, and remember, we're talking a Tele into an AC15. That's about as cutting a tone as exists in guitardom, and it's a great sound. If one had a large enough venue and a Tele I'd do the following:

Set the guitar's volume to around 6, turn the amp up until it just starts to grind, turn off any reverb, add tails with a delay and have at it. With the AC15 once you can get it into happy land with the guitar volume rolled off, once you turn up all the way you'll have natural, cutting OD and it will sound awesome for anything from country to ACDC. If that's too loud I'd add some sort of Rangemaster clone or an original RAT into the chain. They're actually treble boosters. Use only enough drive to get the sustain you need. The RAT is nice because it will respond like an amp and clean up on volume roll-off. Since they tend boost the higher frequencies you can maintain a decent stage volume and still get through the stage mix.

It's a time honored way of employing that particular amp.

Thanks Johnny, and remember, we're talking a Tele into an AC15. That's about as cutting a tone as exists in guitardom, and it's a great sound. If one had a large enough venue and a Tele I'd do the following:

Set the guitar's volume to around 6, turn the amp up until it just starts to grind, turn off any reverb, add tails with a delay and have at it. With the AC15 once you can get it into happy land with the guitar volume rolled off, once you turn up all the way you'll have natural, cutting OD and it will sound awesome for anything from country to ACDC. If that's too loud I'd add some sort of Rangemaster clone or an original RAT into the chain. They're actually treble boosters. Use only enough drive to get the sustain you need. The RAT is nice because it will respond like an amp and clean up on volume roll-off. Since they tend boost the higher frequencies you can maintain a decent stage volume and still get through the stage mix.

It's a time honored way of employing that particular amp.
    That's not too far off from how I use my tweed Deluxe clone.

I know this is an amp thread - but I have to say that I finally bought a Rat after all the years of wondering what the big fuss was. And used it live last week at a really low-volume gig (the reasoning was to get that heavy 70's almost-fuzz sound at low volume) and it was almost unusable in this context - at least for me. I guess I don't really know how to get a killer overdrive or heavy grind at low volumes without using a modeler and in-ears (which, of course, we can't do without a sound man and an expensive setup).

So - expand on the Rat thing - how do you set it so that it doesn't sound like a trashy 70's proto-metal buzzfest?

So - expand on the Rat thing - how do you set it so that it doesn't sound like a trashy 70's proto-metal buzzfest?
    I keep the distortion control down below 9:00 and set the filter to not be overly bright or dark. I actually prefer it over an overdrive pedal.

I know this is an amp thread - but I have to say that I finally bought a Rat after all the years of wondering what the big fuss was. And used it live last week at a really low-volume gig (the reasoning was to get that heavy 70's almost-fuzz sound at low volume) and it was almost unusable in this context - at least for me. I guess I don't really know how to get a killer overdrive or heavy grind at low volumes without using a modeler and in-ears (which, of course, we can't do without a sound man and an expensive setup).

Turn the gain down and the level up. A RAT has an enormous range of gain. You can use it like an OD or a distortion. I set my gain somewhere between lots of OD and low distortion. With my Tele it works more OD, with the Heritage it's a creamy and cutting. Just putz around and you'll find a setting you like. I noticed Dan Schmidt was using a RAT with his 335 for a blues show and it sounded great.

Forum Member

I do. His opening sentence reads, "I call BS."

Chuck (OSA) takes issue with the "drummer's too loud" argument; he makes a statement that the AC15 is good at cutting through...as well, your most recent statement specifically mentions NOT mic'ing the amp...plus, if you'd been on this forum for more than 3 months you'd know that he is notorious

It seems to me he may be notorious for his self-opinionated comments, but how would I really know, I'm a newbie as you pointed out.

And I refer you to post #19 regarding my comments on mic'ing amps.

I must add that I am rather disappointed with your and Offshore Angler's comments regarding my response to this thread. I have never, ever experienced anything like this in the past, perhaps I am naive in that respect. But to be lectured to and therfore have my knowledge and integrity as a musician challenged by someone who knows absolutely nothing about me abominable. I hope you will consider your replies more carefully in future. And read the posts accurately before replying.

Terry - Welcome to the forum -

that said - let it go - no long arguments, stone throwing or anything here.

I too call BS on loud drummers, and its just a fact among many.

We really look forward to discussions and the like here, but don't draw out anything into a feud - or pick a fight please.
    It doesn't get anyone anywhere. seriously

I'm not a mod, or anything, and it doesn't matter. Been here a little while too, and its a great forum - just not a good platform to keep stuff going.

GUYS
    Its saturday here, I am going to go pick up donuts for the ground crew for our 2015 Roadhouse blues show!!
    Played last night to open the show, and today am running ground crew for it - will send pics later

Debbie Davies, ALbert Castiglia and Bob Margolin headline it! I CAN"T WAIT!!!!

Later - gotta go
    Kenny Belmont

Forum Member

Well thankyou FrankJohnson for your welcome.
    This is the last time I will say anything about this, but to put the record straight all I did was ask the OP if his amp would be loud enough. That's it. I did not expect the response I got from Offshore Angler and his chum, and as they are apparently experienced senior posters on this forum I would have hoped for something more considered in their replies. And I hope your message goes to the other two as well.

LOVE my new little VOXieness as well.

AC4tv Mini.....lots of VOX chime in a little package
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt