Thread: De Armond 1850 Thunderbolt Wah, schematic? Treble roll-off when off.

De Armond 1850 Thunderbolt Wah, schematic? Treble roll-off when off.

Finally dug out and cleaned up my old DeArmond 1850 Thunderbolt. I remember preferring it to the CryBaby which is still in parts somewhere.

Having fun with the Strat and Pro Reverb last night I threw the wah between them and love the sweep and control. What I didn't like was the loss of sparkle when switched off.

I've looked for a schematic but come up dry. Looks simple enough to draw up a schematic by examining the board. I want to add a power jack which is easy, but also I suppose mod it for "true bypass" or at least fix the high end roll off.

Also, I've seen pics of some with a toggle switch on the side which mine doesn't have nor is it drilled for. ???

Thanks,

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Re: De Armond 1850 Thunderbolt Wah, schematic? Treble roll-off when off.

I bet you could use the true bypass wiring schematic for a Dunlop or Vox, you just need to determine your inputs and outputs. You're gonna need to figure out what the input and outputs are, which is usually pretty simple on these pedals. In the past (and I bet your pedal is the same) they wired up the switch to be a "flip flop". So you separate the wires and wire up a new switch as per the instructions on Fulltone.

As for the power jack, I'd personally build a filter/polarity protection circuit. You can do this right on the power jack, as it's just an electrolytic cap and a diode.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    I bet you could use the true bypass wiring schematic for a Dunlop or Vox, you just need to determine your inputs and outputs. You're gonna need to figure out what the input and outputs are, which is usually pretty simple on these pedals. In the past (and I bet your pedal is the same) they wired up the switch to be a "flip flop". So you separate the wires and wire up a new switch as per the instructions on Fulltone.

As for the power jack, I'd personally build a filter/polarity protection circuit. You can do this right on the power jack, as it's just an electrolytic cap and a diode.
    Sounds like a plan then. Thanks,

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

It's pretty easy really, once you understand what's going on. Once I did it to my VOX I was set for the others. The new pedals with the ribbon cables aren't as straightforward, they just take tracing the leads. Post pics if you need help.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"