Thread: Delay. Way Huge Echo Puss, Boss DD-3, Mooer Reecho?

Delay. Way Huge Echo Puss, Boss DD-3, Mooer Reecho?

Never thought I'd be looking at pedals but if the cover needs it, I guess it's gotta have it. Right off the bat I'm looking for a good slapback with options to get more spacey should our song list grow to require. Need the slapback for rockabilly type stuff.

In a few days searching I've run across the Way Huge Echo Puss, Boss DD-3 and Mooer Reecho. Then there's the Boss RC-3 Looper that looks interesting but different.

The only other effects I use are a Barber LTD, an old D'armond Wah and the amp's reverb and trem.

I can pick up a used DD-3 for $70, the Mooer for about $55 but haven't seen a used Echo Puss for less than $140.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Forum Member

Re: Delay. Way Huge Echo Puss, Boss DD-3, Mooer Reecho?

Back in the day, I owned a Memory Man, but I let it go long ago. I currently have a DD-3, that I don't use much, but seems versatile. I did the Allums mod that allows the "tails" to degrade more like an old analog unit.
    Seems to me like most "effects" delays are better when used sparingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Back in the day, I owned a Memory Man, but I let it go long ago. I currently have a DD-3, that I don't use much, but seems versatile. I did the Allums mod that allows the "tails" to degrade more like an old analog unit.
    Seems to me like most "effects" delays are better when used sparingly.
    Agree with sparingly.
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

I have a TC Electronics Nova Repeater and - to ...ahem... echo what the others have said, simpler is better. I bought this one so I could do both the slapback and the tap-dotted eighth sounds, and frankly I never use the tap-dotted-eight sounds live anyway...which begs the question of why have it in the first place...The Mooer sounds good and is very small but if you're not powering your pedal(s) with a power supply you'll need one for the Mooer because it's too small for a battery.

Here's an idea - I'd suggest finding a Danelectro Dan-Echo. I used one for years in a band I was in with Offshore Angler and it worked great and could run for quite a few gigs on one battery, if used sparingly.

Here's a link to one of these for sale.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Check out the Dannelectro 600MS delay, it freaking RAWKS!!! No joke, best $25 I ever spent. Sounds great and does everything an old school delay needs to do. Not quite the same, but it does everything my Ibanez AD9 did. I also have an old DOD FX90, which is a crazy fun delay. I think they're pretty expensive now, but it is also simple. Another cheap and good delay is the Visual Sound Axle Grease, which I bought used for $40. Sounds more digital than the Dannelectro (which is actually pretty dark, in a good way) but in a good way. I am in no way a "delay guy", I use it sparingly and really could make due without.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I use a little bit of delay now and then. I had a Catalinbread Belle Epoch for a while but found I like a cleaner, brighter repeat and bought a used BYOC delay- the digital one that sounds a little warmer- almost analog- like. I think it's only good for 300ms.

Just scored a Mooer Reecho on ebay. Should be here in a couple of days. Now I'll have to build a pedal board. Never thought I'd say that.

TT
    On SmartPhones: