Thread: First real gig in years coming up in two months

First real gig in years coming up in two months

Seems a long way off but we'll do at least one "friend party" gig to air out the arrangements and cobwebs. Our group of five friends began jamming on a selection of covers a few months back. The singer (female) has been in many bands and has time to give it a go again, just for fun and hit us with her old song lists. The bassist is involved in another band and is a great help in corralling the drummer, me, and the other guitarist, who brought him in, into something cohesive. We have a list of about 20 covers and rehearse twice a week for four hours.

Without a deadline it was just fun to get together waiting till we felt ready for the friend party gig. Well the singer booked us at a local festival to open for a pretty well known Rock n Boogie band. Heat is on. Poster photo shoot is coming up in a couple of weeks.

Expected crowd is around 500, it's indoors so weather's not a factor. The other guitarist is focusing on rhythm, I've been tasked with fills, leads and second rhythm. The singer is great and has done this particular gig several times. The bassist is good too and the drummer is pretty solid. I feel good about it overall but there's work to be done for sure. Especially us two guitarists working out working together.

I'm most comfortable with the Les Paul so it's probably going to be the #1, Tele #2 if needed. Strat is still new to me but maybe by then I'll have a comfort level with it soon and sub it for the Tele.

57 and gonna put it out there. As I recall, this used to be one hell of a lot of fun.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: First real gig in years coming up in two months

Best of luck and post that advert pic when it's done.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

It's gonna be great. Just be mindful of the tempos. The unconscious urge to play too fast can be tough to conquer when you're not used to it.
    We've got the CuNiFe

Mild shakeup in the band already. The other guitar player has backed out due to personal reasons. On the possible plus side we're picking up an experienced guitarist and a harp player. Could be better than we thought. Personally, I'm looking forward to working with this other guitarist. Sounds laid back, eager for us to play and he'll cover the stuff I'm struggling with but wants me to take whatever I'm comfortable with. The harp player will just sit in on the blues tunes we're doing.

More will be revealed....
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

I'm just a little too far away or I'd join up with you to play. (Dyersburg).

Good luck. It sounds like you're excited about it. Keep that mood and have a great time prepping and gigging!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

this is going to be a great time, and will fly by before you know it!

Did you get my message back? Email me if you didn't
    badjujublues@gmail.com
    Ken
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Good luck and just let your fingers do the talkin' and don't stare at what the girls wear today..