Thread: NBD - Ordered

NBD - Ordered AND a review (#24)

Well - its been quite a while since have gotten to do this......

I ordered a NEW bass. Just a standard Jazz, but with a couple of cool features.

I LOVE my roadworn bass - and Have been trying to find a second one - this is close I think!

I did a little reading, and believe that I found that the 60's Classic Series Lacquer is pretty close if not the same as the RW, without relicing. I believe it is not quite as thin, so maybe not as light.
    Comes in Nitro, and with the Brown Tolex (They call it tweed) HSC.

Here is a link to elderly - with case pics -
    http://www.elderly.com/fmic/items/FC60JBL.htm

I was able to get it ordered with a 20% off today and it should be in later this week.
    I think they are few and far between - I don't know anyone who owns one, and very few on other forums with them.
    Not rare - but less common would be a good term I think. I also believe not replenished when sold - from stock.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-C...11-i3080683.gc

When It comes in I will post pics, but until then, it doesn't exist!

I think it will be a nice addition, and now I can start to let a few go that just aren't as much to my liking, feel wise. I got to play a early 70's P Bass, that looked remarkably similar to my Roger Waters - the neck was a little thicker, but not quite as wide while I was up there.

I had asked a local shop if they could get me close on this order, and they could not - love em or not - a Special Thank You to Wilmington De. Guitar Center - for making this purchase Possible -
    Last edited by FrankJohnson; 07-21-2015 at 11:11 AM.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: NBD - Ordered

That's a *SERIOUSLY* nice bass, Kenny!

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Oof, would love me one of the nitro finish basses. Nice buy, congrats :) I don't have a jazz bass and haven't been terribly interested in one either but this one looks like a winner. Next on my shopping list is a 5-string, but I don't know what sort yet. Let us know how this one sounds and plays when you get your dirty mitts on it.
    I have a Fender P-bass.

Congrats. The neck at the nut looks so small, which is what I like a lot in my own Jazz Bass. Is that the standard JB measurement? Anyway, it's a lovely bass. Looking forward to hearing your review.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Gorgeous Kenny!!!! Congrats...

As a Fender MIM Jazz owner....and a Squire Jag Bass owner.....I am a "fan" for sure.

Oh Hey Heket!!! Problem solved
    Squire 5 string Jazz Bass.......
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--SQU0306760
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Yeah, I'm thinking about it 'Knob, believe me. Still a bit cautious about it being a jazz but seriously considering a PJ as I love P-basses. Fun fact - the 4-string version of that bass you linked is the first bass I ever played, in the local music shop :)

But I need to buy a proper amp first.
    I have a Fender P-bass.

There's just something about the combination of an offset waist, sunburst, tortoise shell guard and a little chrome! Sometimes I think of getting a Jazzmaster just to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heket View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking about it 'Knob, believe me. Still a bit cautious about it being a jazz but seriously considering a PJ as I love P-basses. Fun fact - the 4-string version of that bass you linked is the first bass I ever played, in the local music shop :)

But I need to buy a proper amp first.
    Fun fact.......I played the 4 String version of that at GC through a Fender Rumble Amp ....actually when playing bass at my local GC I always go through a RUMBLE. My Second choice of bass amp after Hartke.

Also FYI The Jaguar by Squire is an "offset" guitar WITH the PJ bass pup set up.......and in my case an active bass boost circuit. ;) This Jaguar gots BITE.

I give you the Offset Wrecking crew

Last edited by Volumeknob; 07-05-2015 at 07:45 AM.
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Thanks Guys - waiting anxiously.

Roger - I agree - simple, handsome, classic, timeless. Funny - when I was ordering it - one of the guys was telling me about his pedal board and showed me a VERY impressive pic of 8-10 pedals for his bass setup. I covered all but the tu-3 tuner, and said - thats about what mine looks like -and he laughed.

Kenny - Heket, Willie, Don, Volume knob and all you guys - you guys know the deal - you find something you like, and it works - more like it works too!

I Have a couple of basses and most get played A LOT. The Roadworn has been the number one though - and the #2 spot has been hard to keep steady. MIJ Jag, Franken Jazz, Yamaha all seem to rotate through.......

I find that I gravitate to J over P types consistently. the P DLX had some circuit mod done that I really am not happy with. I will see if I can fix that - because it is a great instrument. It just isn't what I pull from my ballistic load and load in the tray or ready rack if you get what I mean.

BTW - Volumeknob - nice wall ya got there! That Jag - its like an old soul in a young body!

This one - if it is even close to the Roadworn, will be a nicely appointed keeper.

Lets see - the clock - she ticks!

BTW
    Volumeknob - Nice Wall! that Jag - like an old soul in a young body !
    Kenny Belmont

Thanks Kenny...the damn thing is turbo charged ;)

I was at the GC..... not really "in the market" for anything.......just "dicking around" and pissing off the "Hipster wannabe tight pants rolled up over the ankles Visa tattoo sleeved beard mongers that work there..........(sorry if you fit that mold anyone---if you do---GROW UP your parents are tired of supporting you!) any way I played the Fender Jazz Bass Geddy Lee edition...it was nice played several other fender offerings.....then I played the Squire Jazz Bass like in the link above......and it BLEW the Fender stuff AWAY totally. .....what can I say I AM a cheap Bastard.....then....I saw it....the Jaguar all offset...and curvy....and it had 4 knobs......?????? WTF!? 4 knobs, and where the fook is the jack????!!!! (oh down there) so I grab this beast.......and plug it into the Rumble----no setting change ---and I CRANK all 4 knobs on the guitar and I literally scared 1 employee and a little old lady at the Subway Sandwich shop on the other side of the wall.
    This thing is SUB sonic....the BOOM from that beast and its little battery powered turbo box..........dude its "F ing Epic! ---and I say that as a staunchly heterosexual 46 year old WHITE guy! its EPIC!
    NEck is awesome.......flat finish thin smooth fast.... and the sound will rip through concrete like its butter......it is the first bass I have aquired that makes the Thunderbird of Death act polite....
    T. Roosevelt

Nice choice Kenny! If it were mine, I would change it over to be a stack knob as that's always been my fave J style.

And Volumeknob, if it works it works. My #1 bass is a modded out Squier, granted all the parts have been changed. But still, the body is agathis or whatever was cheapest for them to buy that year.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Ok - I went to the Petting Zoo and one followed me home!

Initial impressions - fit - finish, all good - set up is factory - I fixed that 15 minutes within getting it home.
    Gig tonight - we will see what we will see.

Neck is a smidge larger than the roadworn, but not in a bad way. Plays nice, looks good - but no flame or birds eye - and I don't mind.
    It looks, feels, sounds like a good quality utility tool should! That was what I hoped for when I bought it.

Here it is at home, meeting some new friends, before getting taken out for trial by fire.
    The Roadworn will be there in case it gets scared.

Couple more - clearer shots

Last edited by FrankJohnson; 07-10-2015 at 10:57 AM.
    Kenny Belmont

Beautiful lumber!

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Beautiful lumber!

Thanks Roger - It looks pretty "right" doesn't it?

oh - BTW - tweed case - not brown tolex as I had been told it may be -
    not a bad case - I will use it and let it get a lil wear and soil on it. thats its job !
    Kenny Belmont

"Right" is apropos.

It looks precisely like a 3TSB Jazz Bass should.

I'm used to the later (post May 1965) variant with the bound-and-blocked tuxedo neck but for a pseudo pre-65 clone, I think yours is gorgeous. And the price was very easy on the wallet. I'm sure it'll work well for the upcoming gig -- she doesn't look like any wallflower to me.

That's beautiful!

New Strings...........weird
    Can't really remember that feeling too well - specially rounds!
    Kenny Belmont

Very nice.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Really nice, man. Congrats.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Well done "J" man ---well fooking done she is gorgeous!
    Last edited by Volumeknob; 07-11-2015 at 06:53 PM.
    T. Roosevelt

Well - I did a startup setup on it when I got home, gigged it last night - and found that I didn't have it "quite right" so I used my roadworn for third set. Not a problem.

I tweaked it a little today and think its pretty close now. I am sure I will diddle and fiddle with setup on it to the point where it is like a worn in pair of gloves.

As I mentioned, the neck is a little bigger - its almost a pound heavier, and still needs to learn some things - but in all, I am very happy.

I ordered a mono gigbag for it today, well - for whatever is going to the show. Just thought I would treat myself to a little extra on this birthday present to meself!

BTW - the strings on that roadworn have been on 4-5 basses, and are 8 or 9 years old - just getting broken in !
    Kenny Belmont

Ok - so - here we go with
    THE REVIEW

Bought my 60s classic Jazz in Lacquer a couple of weeks ago -

Opened the case and it was stunning! Smelled GREAT - I just stood and savored the moment for a minute or so before taking it out of the Tweed Case. Took note that the tweed case is light, but substantial. Will be using a brand New Mono Vertigo case instead for travel to/from work. (will get a separate review)

upon picking up my new bass, while standing at the counter of the Wilmington Delaware Guitar Center, I inspected it for blemishes, runs, overspray, orangepeel, nicks, scratches, scuffs, abrasions, ........dust - ANYTHING that would wrong. A HA ! ! ! Found some flecks of loose sawdust or something near the control plate. Blew it off - there.....fixed! Finish is as perfect as it could be, and will be soon marked, by use. I am ok with that. Fret ends, ALL clean, clear and polished. neck relief, action - need to be set up for me. I will handle that. No special flame, birds eye, or anything - BUT grain is nice, even, and handsome. Sunburst is really nice, tort is right, tuners are great, and vintage tint looks ok to me. I like it.

I have 3 gigs and two jams with it under my belt now, and have tweaked setup after each use. It is almost "there". Strings were still a little zingy to me, and will mellow with time. Something I do for me, and always have, is use lemon oil on fretboard, and use extra to wipe down the strings. Some gets in the windings. It accelerates the break in process and mellows them in a way I Like. You may not, and that is ok. I do. it works for me - and last night, it was evident that the setup is just about the way I like it, strings are almost there, and the bass sounds like it should.

The Neck is as it should be. I bought it to be as close as My roadworn Jazz as possible. I am fortunate - the RW has a narrow neck, about 1/16" more narrow than this one. The neck is slimmer front to back on the RW, this is substantial without being "Baseball Bat " like, as my friends 73 is. It fits my had in a good way, and I am very grateful for that. Pickups sound like they should, and can be adjusted at the amp for the tones I like - and then set/forget. Tone control works through the full range, and rolls of what I want, how I want. That makes me happy. Several I have played do not. I have not had a chance to weigh it yet - but it isn't overly heavy, or significantly light. My guess is 10ish right now. I will followup when I can weigh it - so for now if I say 10.6 lbs, we will compare that when I can get a better handle on that.

The instrument is balanced, looks good, and sounds good. I will say that last weekend at the outside gig, the Nitro neck is sticky. I may opt to use the Roadworn on these dates in the future. I am not planning on sanding the back of the neck yet, mostly because I hate the thought of sanding Nitro off, but ultimately, playability is my goal. I will see how it plays in before I do anything like that.

One day, this will have New TI flats installed. will likely comment on that when I do.

Ok - that is the basic review.
    Kenny Belmont