Thread: Fender Gemini II Acoustic, NGD?

Fender Gemini II Acoustic, NGD?

OK, call me a loony tune, but I traded a used small digital powder scale, a box of .30'06 ammo, and a used Otis cable cleaning rod for a solid, but dusty Fender acoustic. The label inside shows it as a Gemini II model and is made with mahogany sides, back, and neck with a spruce top. Other than the dust bunnies inside, it's pretty clean as such. No splits in any of the wood not any dents or dings. Neck straight and such. All bracing is solid, and none are even trying to get loose. Sort of a Gumby-like headstock with cheesy tuners. In short, used but far from abused. Just sat and collected LOTS of dust inside!

Anybody here ever heard of such an animal? The owner got it used back in '86 or so and belonged to my neighbor Bill from across the road. He needed the gun parts and ammo and I was looking for an acoustic and thus he offered his as he never plays it. But I gotta take an air hose to the inside to blow all those dust bunnies outta there! It really has some fur in there! Well, sorta.

If it's not some odd, rare, or obscure collectable with only 12 made on the planet (yeah right!) , I plan to build it into an acoustic/electric with a passive single coil and top mounted controls on it. I was once notorious for doing that with used Jackson single coils salvaged from the MANY Jacksons I rebuilt back in the '90's for shredders. I had dozens of Jackson single coils lying all over the place! I'd make a bracket that housed the pickup and attach it from within the instrument with blind screws to the underside of the bridge plate. The pickup then functioned as any other single coil being suspended in the sound hole nearer the bridge, and it sure gave old acoustics new life. C&W guys loved those things and I couldn't convert 'em fast enough for a few years.

So this may be called a NGD for me in a way huh? I know Volumnknob would be proud of the trade as it was pure horse trading at it's finest!
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Re: Fender Gemini II Acoustic, NGD?

Silly me, I forgot I had my super dooper smart phone! Did a voice generated search and foud it's Korean made and was built in the Samic factory back in '86. Some say they're worth about $125 and up depending on condition. Guess I came out alright here. But I got a good finger pickin' little acoustic. Closer examination (helps when I wear my glasses!) shows that the back and sides are more likely Nato and not mahogany. Wade, you blind old man! Put you're glasses on next time!!
    I forgot what I was going to say...