Thread: NTD - New Tele Day - lovin' every minute of it

NTD - New Tele Day - lovin' every minute of it

I just got this on Thursday last week and gigged with it over the weekend...

I love the newer Fender Wide Range Humbuckers but what really kills on this guitar is the big 70's headstock.

Seriously - I got it for $450 from the previous owner, who had put 500K tone pots and Sprague Orange Drops in it - and it sounds much clearer and brighter while still being 'bucker-y' than the stock Fender thinlines and tele deluxes because they use the 250K.

I used it for most of Friday night...alternating with my go-to Strat. I think I'm in love with my new gal! Just in time for the summer party-gig season I've got a tele that can hang with the Gibsons...or provide counterpoint to the Strat and Blackguard Tele.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Re: NTD - New Tele Day - lovin' every minute of it

I check these out on CL all the time!

Very very beautiful tele, I'm a sucker for teles...

What year is it?

That's really nice, RJ. Congratulations and many happy hours of playing.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Thanks guys - gig #2 with the guitar - it still floats my boat in a big way but having the 'buckers kinda pointed out to me the inadequacies of my Tuesday night club rig...

Here's the usual rig - and some of you cork-sniffer types better quit reading right now

Guitar (generally my Strat) => small pedalboard (TS9/SD1/boost/tremolo/delay) into a Zoom G3 set for a clean reverbed Fender sim. Then on to the PA out of the XLR out (very handy) and also 1/4" out to an acoustic guitar amp (because my signal is already amp-sim, I just need the cleanest sound possible from the amp).

Last night I thought I would go simpler and just used a Fulltone Fulldrive II...and I could not get any cut out of the rig using the Tele Deluxe...

What I discovered is that the 'buckers showed up the flaw in my system - the compression that occurs within the Zoom (even without a compressor modeled in the chain). It's pleasing to the ear to go through the PA but doesn't provide me the "oomph" I'm so used to. The problem is that this isn't my band, I'm the Johnny-come-lately, and these guys are seriously, seriously serious about keeping stage volume down.

Next week I'm going to try the Tele Deluxe again but with my pedalboard, and keep the Fulldrive II in my case for when I use a conventional guitar amp, 'cause it really shines through my tube amps.

WOW....congrats man that is a gorgeous tele!!!!!!!!!!
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

I almost died at the thought of playing a geet through a PA. I know it can sound great, and as long as you've been doing this, I doubt that you'd use it if you couldn't get a decent sound out of it. I swear I'm not a cork sniffer, as long as it's a tube amp...
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I almost died at the thought of playing a geet through a PA. I know it can sound great, and as long as you've been doing this, I doubt that you'd use it if you couldn't get a decent sound out of it. I swear I'm not a cork sniffer, as long as it's a tube amp...
    Well, this is in place of a mic and a tube amp - because any time I get even a small (tiny) tube amp up into the appropriate power range (with this band) it's too loud. The drummer's playing the $5000 Roland electronic drum kit, the keys player is ampless, and the bass player's got a very small David Eden 2x10 amp. The acoustic guitar guy is also ampless and we've got four guys (out of 5) trying to harmonize on the fly.

So yes, it's a compromise solution - but it usually works about as good as it can.

With my "own" band, Johnny B & the MVPs, I have a tube amp and my small pedalboard and we still keep the volume reasonable but since I'm the bandleader the only whining about volume that's done is if I actually recognize we're too loud...

And yes, for the new guys, my name is not "Rick" enjangle...it's Johnny but I created this profile lo, these many years ago when I still had a Rickenbacker.

I never know whether to use someone's name or their TFF. I go by William--Chicken House Willie is a name I used to use when I played the pubs in Germany.

Well, I've used the new Tele in just about every musical situation I currently participate in and I must say it's just perfect for me.

In Johnny B and the MVPs it's got more fullness than a Fender or my Gretsch and still retains the bite I need.
    I used it for an open jam I host and it sounded great clean and dirty.
    With the Tuesday night band - aside from the crummy compression from my rig, it was the perfect blend of slice and punch.

Plus it plays great and looks great.

I <3 Teles!

Beautiful Tele

Forum Member

Very pretty. I'd play the heck out of it. I used to play one of those many moons ago. They can really do it.

On the tube amp front I would use a Torpedo and any amp I liked to get around the volume problem. You can get he amp singing sweet and pipe it through the Torpedo Live and then to the PA. No need to ever worry about volume again. At home you can pump it through headphones even and your amp can be on 10. As you are connecting in place of the speaker(s) it is wonderful. A cheaper version is the Cab Clone that works quite well, but is not as flexible.

VEry nice.
    I had the Squire version. great axe
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

NICE! I still want one of those really bad!!! Probably going to go crazy on it and get some Telenator's for it... It's been a dream of mine to own an awesome one ever since seeing "Are you gonna go my way" by Kravitz.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"