Thread: NGD - and quite an interesting one for Fender fans...

NGD - and quite an interesting one for Fender fans...

Fellows,

I've been looking for a second strat for a while, as I don't feel comfortable bringing Jessica (my black Am. Std.) along to nasty places where I sometimes play... She's too much of a fine lady and I don't like to risk her being stolen or damaged... She belongs in better stages and studios.

I needed another girl that could do the job without costing a lot. Due to our economic situation down here, imported guitars are too expensive for me to think of them, as I already own two good guitars, Jessica and the SG (which is a totally different animal).

So, just as Bilbo Baggins did with the infamous ring, I unexpectedly came across a guitar I've wanted for a long time, but never had the chance to buy back then, and is just perfect for what I want it.

Besides, though not exactly expensive here, it is both collectible and semi-vintage, in its own particular way...

A Fender Strat most of you probably won't even have ever heard of: a Fender Southern Cross Series Stratocaster. Made in Brazil (Yes, I'll tell you about it) around 1993.

The seller will be sending it to me tomorrow; although I don't like to buy musical instruments by mail, I had to, as these guitars aren't so easy to find.

Between 1992 and 1995, Fender had a contract with Brazilian guitar company Giannini, which included Giannini making and exporting acoustic guitars to the U.S., and in exchange Fender licensing and supervising the production of stratocasters here, under the supervision of American techs. The production had to cease in 1995, because the cost became too high, unfortunately. As far as I knoe, only 5.000 Southern Cross strats were made, in three colors: Black, metallic blue and metallic red (a color very close to Candy Apple Red.

They have quite a unique tone, as they are made of one piece cedar bodies and maple necks. They have quite a lot of small details that make them look like a non-Fender guitar, one could first identify it as some kind of a knockoff, but it is a legit Fender product made under license, and do sound quite good. The quality control and finish was more or less like the one you'd expect fro a early years MiM Strat.

Jazz basses were also produced.

Here's an example shot of the headstock oh these guitars (off the internet), where you can note the black/silver 90's logo shape and the "Southern Cross", which resembles the "American Traditional" script in that series...

Owners often say that the heavy cedar body makes them sound "thicker", darker, but still quite decently "fenderish"... I don't know how much of that is true, but I guess I'll find out soon enough. Anyway, it's a rare Fender Strat.

I was lucky to find one with all the decals, as many dumbasses sanded down the "Made in Brazil" and the "Southern Cross" sayings. I want mine to be entirely original.

The one I bought is red just like that one, and was upgraded with USA wiring and custom shop Fat 50 pickups, let's see how she sings...
    Last edited by S. Cane; 05-29-2015 at 08:49 PM.

Re: NGD - and quite an interesting one for Fender fans...

That is an interesting Strat. Never knew about those. Thanks, and yes, do give a report.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Fender once contracted with an instrument builder in India to manufacture a limited number of Stratocasters in the early '80s. These guitars also had bodies of cedar and were marked on the headstock as a "Sunn Mustang" and came in Dakota Red only IIRC, with a S/S/H pickup configuration. I think only a thousand or so were made before the project was abandoned.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Fender once contracted with an instrument builder in India to manufacture a limited number of Stratocasters in the early '80s. These guitars also had bodies of cedar and were marked on the headstock as a "Sunn Mustang" and came in Dakota Red only IIRC, with a S/S/H pickup configuration. I think only a thousand or so were made before the project was abandoned.

Yes, I had heard of those, they were manufactured in India and China, and although playable, those atrats are often regarded as a failure in QC...

Some pics:

The Southern Cross series, on the other hand, were discontinued mostly due to the costs of production, as labour and taxes were too high at the time in Brazil.

Giannini was a very good and traditional instrument company, founded in 1900 (btw Jimmy Page plays a Giannini Craviola guitar, I always remember that when I talk about this subject...), and Fender sent inspectors from the US periodically... So that the Southern Crosses were Fenders, not Squiers or licensed Gianninis... FMIC put their own logo on them because the instrument was deemed good enough back then.

The quality of the SCs was roughly as nice as in the Japanese Squiers and early Mexican Strats... I do think they could use a better finish, though. That's one huge negative point...

Great info, Fantasma! Orale!
    Last edited by S. Cane; 05-29-2015 at 08:53 PM.

Ok, the new girl (given the fact that she's a bit old, I'd say the new MILF) has entered the building.

I left the office as soon as I got it and went straight to my bassist's house, for a complete dismount-check-restring-setup afternoon.

Here are actual pics of it. I'll post some better ones later, took these as soon as I got home an played it for a while:

The seller had mentioned that it was almost entirely stock, he had upgraded only the pickups with American Custom Shop Fat 50s for better tone; I confess that I didn't pay much attention to the pup info (and I must say I was quite prepared to find out it wasn't quite true), as I was aiming for the guitar itself... He was honest, though. As we checked underneath the pickguard, here's what was "under the hood":

Furthermore, we found that it is a 1 solid piece cedar body (as it's supposed to be), original Fender assembly inspection sticker inside with the signature of the American Fender employee who inspected it, all right. 1 piece maple neck too. She's all quite right, big time. I researched a LOT about this guitar through the years and I knew what I was looking for...

Here's a pic of her beside Jessica, my American Standard:

It's a guitar that's been around for about 21 years, it has plenty of mojo and delicious natural relicing, dings, dents, the classic finish crackles around the neck pocket (we removed the neck and checked it out, no damage in the wood, it was just the paint that crackled), but no proper damage... all in all it is a very well kept instrument for its age, given the fact that it was a player, not a collector's show item.

I would NEVER do any "relic job" to any new guitar, I myself think it ain't a smart thing to do. But I definitely like and admire an instrument that aged well and got its scars from real life as a musician's tool... That's my philosophy: don't relic anything. Buy used/vintage if you like relics.

As for playability and tone, I must say it plays and sounds almost as good as Jessica, all the way. Very comfortable neck and the Custom Shop pickups are as good as it gets, like I said above, so...

It's a keeper for sure and I can't wait to gig with it!

After all the checkings and testings, a celebration was in order:

A happy new strat day, lads!

I've wanted this strat for a long time, it was for sale at the main music stores when I was a teenager, and for many reasons I got other guitars back then but not this one. And here it is. Fender DNA all around, but born in Brazil. A rare piece indeed.

Sláinte!
    Last edited by S. Cane; 06-23-2015 at 07:29 AM.

Thanks, Kenny!

I'm really happy (and it ain't just the liquor ).

Congrats. That color with a maple fretboard is one of my favorite Strat choices. Cheers, mate.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Me too, Willie, especially when it's aged like this one.

TFF Stage Crew

Pretty cool tale of offshore Strat lore. & some wear on the neck finish! That's a good sign

Indeed, 7!

I was pleased to share all the info on the Southern Cross Fenders here, I think I am honored to have contributed with this forum's database on Fender guitars!

Great guitar! Love the history and the story.
    Fender Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar, surf green,
    Gibson SGJ, cherry,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special, black,
    Peavey Classic 30 Tweed
    Ampeg B110

Never heard of Fenders being made in Brazil, and not heard of cedar being used either. Excellent find, that is an interesting guitar indeed :) But I'm kinda thinking that you still won't want to take this rare and intriguing Strat to the nasty places... you need another one!
    I have a Fender P-bass.

Oh God, Anita, you're a mean girl!

Now you' ve activated my GAS

Quote Originally Posted by Heket View Post
    But I'm kinda thinking that you still won't want to take this rare and intriguing Strat to the nasty places... you need another one!
    That's why God invented the Mexican Strats.

I just now saw this thread. Many congratulations, de Melo.

That is a special instrument you've got there. You must feel really special about that guitar, being made in Brazil.

I'm very happy for you, bud!

Thank you, Smitty! I was waiting for your feedback, as well as Heket's, Phantom's, Ranger's and all the folks who actually like rare guitars...

Indeed, it is a very special guitar to me, being a genuine Fender licensed guitar AND made by a Brazilian traditional instrument company, let alone the fact that I've wanted it back in the early 90s... It was a particularly good NGD!

Thanks!!

Well now that the dust has settled and you've had an opportunity to run with this new instrument a bit, I'm pleased to hear that it's what you like. I recall when Fender, in the early to mid '90's, embarked upon many adventures in building variations of their standard line. That model was unique, and it's good that you found one that suits your needs. Well done!
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Quote Originally Posted by de Melo View Post
    Thank you, Smitty! I was waiting for your feedback, as well as Heket's, Phantom's, Ranger's and all the folks who actually like rare guitars...

Indeed, it is a very special guitar to me, being a genuine Fender licensed guitar AND made by a Brazilian traditional instrument company, let alone the fact that I've wanted it back in the early 90s... It was a particularly good NGD!

Thanks!!
    No problem, de Melo, buddy. Have you held that guitar, yet, at arm's length away from you, stared at it, and just said, "I love this guitar!" I'm sure you have!

That's the way it is...though thousands of miles away, we love to rejoice in the thrill of that New Guitar Day with a friend. Enjoy it!
    Last edited by smitty_p; 06-02-2015 at 04:30 AM.

WOW!! That Southern Cross edition is friggin AWESOME! Congrats DeMelo!
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Sweet axe! I'd like to see cedar used more, in solid body guitars.
    ;>)/

Whatever you do, don't burn it. Cedar coals pop and can spread fire. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Whatever you do, don't burn it. Cedar coals pop and can spread fire. ;)
    While ash and alder are flame-proof?

BTW as I got home from work and while drinking a Vedett and fiddling around with the Fenders, the Southern Cross' name just popped...

Her name is Ruby. Actually I didn't name her after her color, it's just that I was remembering some girl's names and this one just came to my mind... She'll make a nice pair with Jessica. I never could decide between blondes and brunettes anyway

When it came to me it had straplocks on, and I don't like them on strats, so I replaced them with aftermarket steel strapbuttons, these are quite OK, but later I'll get her some Fender ones.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    While ash and alder are flame-proof?

When you put cedar in a fireplace, it pops more than other wood does. If you don't have a screen, you'll wind up chasing popped out cedar embers.

CONGRATULATIONS, excellently made and big plus for the PU's!

And thank you for all the interesting information.

Old Rockers never die; we just fade away!
    会長

Quote Originally Posted by kaicho8888 View Post
    CONGRATULATIONS, excellently made and big plus for the PU's!

And thank you for all the interesting information.

Thanks, brother, I really loved to share the info here, because these are VERY rare guitars and I'm glad I could post aboutthem in this forum, whichisthebest Fender forum around!

Seńor de Melo, has anyone ever remarked that you bear a passing resemblance to ABC journalist Ted Koppel?

ROFLOL

A little more info on this odd Fender series.

I just found out that one of the greatest Brazilian blues players of the past decades, Celso Blues Boy, not only had one of these, but played it as his main guitar in several of his shows and records... I knew he had a red Fender Strat, but never knew it was one of the early 90s Brazilian made ones until I saw an interview with him where he talks about it, and then paid attention to his last concert.

P.S. I know most of you are probably not particularly interested in this odd series of Fender, but I'm quite happy to own one in pretty good condition, and this is some cool information about an obscure series many people around the world don't even know existed, so I posted all this for the record, in order to contribute with the forum!

Cool, glad you found one you have always desired and in that good a shape...