Thread: loop de loop

loop de loop

Just chatting with a fellow guitar freak who tells me that it's best to put delay and phaser in the effects loop rather than in front of the amp.

What's your preference with the loop?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Gravity Jim

Re: loop de loop

That's for sure what I like. Analog compressor and boost/ODs in front of the preamp, digital time based FX in the effects loop. Since I use an M13 for all the loopy stuff, it's easy to rearrange the order of things just by pushing buttons.

I prefer phaser (and vibe) in front of the amp. In front of dirt, actually. Makes it less "phasey". More of a dirty, subtle sound, less '70s sitcom theme.

I agree with the rest of it, though.

In my world, everything goes in front of the amp - mainly because I just use a clean Fender or Vox chimey sound. And my amps have reverb. But if I were using amp gain, I'd put the delay in the loop. As it stands, I'm too lazy for that stuff...

My current gig rig is a pair of guitars (usually the Strat and a Gretsch or a Gibson) into my small pedalboard straight into the amp with reverb. I never even bother with the trem/verb footswitch for my AC15...I've got other issues to deal with - like chatting up chicks.

:)

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    As it stands, I'm too lazy for that stuff...
    Same here. I have one amp with an FX loop, my Mesa Studio .22+. I don't use its loop because my pedalboard is set up for amps that don't have loops. My Tech 21 Rotochoir sounds great in a loop- or even just into the power amp, especially in stereo with two amps, but it's too much hassle to pull my board apart.

My delay is a Catalinbread Belle Epoch which is an Echoplex sim and works best in front of the amp because of its preamp.

Thanks for the input. I just hate having to connect the extra cables for the loop. But I think there's no way around it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

At this point, for me, I do whatever is easiest. None of my amps have an FX loop, so it doesn't really matter anyways. I say try it both ways and see what you prefer. If needs be, buy a loom or make your own. It's way easier than running individual cables for the hook ups.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

It's going to be a while before I play live again, so I've got time to play around.

When using a traditional amp for live playing I keep my time-based effects at the end of the input chain.

Couple of reasons why:

• It eliminates two long cables from the floor effects to the amp. Live - simple is always better for several reasons
    • My effects board has stereo outputs. The stereo split happens at the chorus pedal, so it rides last in the chain
    • I think it sounds better. I don't want the time-based stuff hitting my OD or my RAT(which is usually set on "destroy all dancers") and turning my sound to mud.

Generally, I never use reverb and instead add delay tails, I feel it gives a richer vibe and makes the band sound "bigger" without having to add volume, and furthermore it retains the "cut" and doesn't get muddy like reverb. YMMV.

The exception is when doing a surf tune when I'll reach over and crank up the Fender spring reverb to get the "drip"...gotta have the drip for surf.

When modeling I use patches with both configs (pre/post) depending on the vibe I want. It's very freeing!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim