Thread: Carvin Subs and some other eqpt....

Carvin Subs and some other eqpt....

I have been using some of the lighter - less expensive Carvin eqpt for about 2 years now.

I have a 12 ch powered mixer with 4 400 watt amps and 4 of the light pm12's which I sometimes use as small mains, or as monitors -

I have a LS1801 sub and just ordered a 2nd one.

I have to say this has been pretty good eqpt. No real issues, and a little learning curve on limitations, with just as much learning what else I can do with what I have.

I know a lot of other stuff out there works fine, sounds great - much even sounds better I am sure - but with that said - bang to buck......this is pretty good stuff for a basic working band - small to med sized rooms.

I add a QSC GX5 sometimes for added headroom to monitors, just got a used Crest 1500 amp to augment the mains if needed and have 3 JBL JRX 115s, (I use one for the drummer now - to add some kick) and 2 of the JBL JRX112s as monitors, or sometimes mains. Mix and match for a good setup.

All of this allows me to leave a setup at the Jam if needed, and take what is needed for outside gigs, sound jobs, or whatever. When we do shows at the central Delaware blues venue - the sound has been improving tremendously and is easy to manage which was my whole goal of keeping the powered mixer and minimizing outboard effects, racks, etc.

In all - the Carvin equipment has been a really steady-eddy dependable addition to what I had.

any of you guys using Carvin stuff and have any comments?

BTW
    I also have considered a set of PM15s - rated similar to the JRX115sa but at about half the weight. I think $219 ea shipped right now
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Forum Member

Re: Carvin Subs and some other eqpt....

Frank, I've only experience with some 30 yo monitors, and a power amp. The monitors were fused, and it was not uncommon to have to replace fuses between sets at louder venues. I lost one channel in the power amp once, (using generator power), sent it back, and they fixed it for $50. They were good folks to deal with!

Just got the PM15s -

This system kicks ass

I have a xover to seperate the tops - put them through an additional power amp when needed..........additional power amp for monitors (4 for vocals one for drummer which is a 15" JBL) and now two 18" subs out of the QSC I got WAY back as a light-weight bass head amp. I racked all of the power amps separately to reduce weight - and kept mixer and a power conditioner in a 6 sp rack - I have pull out lights, which makes it great.

For smaller gigs, I may add a power amp and sub - or not........and as the rooms or crowds grow - I add power amps and speakers.

I keep the JBLs at the venue I do sound at most frequently and the Carvins on the go - since they are about half the weight.

I know that there are a million setups which are surely better - this really has been great though. Its funny how many people have rolled their eyes when I say Carvin. I am truly a believer at this point - and would say that all have paid for themselves, except the newest 15s and one 18.

Anthony Gomes is coming soon - and doing some acoustic stuff........I just picked up an ART direct box, and will see how the system acts. For the other night - he has two marshall half stacks - which he actually controlled nicely last time and I had to mic him in.

The REAL test is another show with Chris Duarte - and getting his vocal above the guitar. I did it last time, but have some new toys in the box now - so.......heh heh heh.....lets see what tale time tells this session!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

We used a Carvin PA for years in the band I was in. It was fine. I have a Carvin guitar that's incredible and had another that wasn't overly inspiring but it was incredibly versatile. I had a Carvin Vintage 33 amp that was okay. It sounded fine but wasn't for me. The build quality was about the same as a Fender.