Thread: Ash or Alder

Forum Member

Ash or Alder

I am thinking about ordering a new body for one of my strats... which would be the lighter choice (non-chambered) ash or alder?

Re: Ash or Alder

Usually swamp ash is the lightest. But, most respectable places will pick you out a special piece if you ask. Like say you'd prefer an alder body for that tone, they'll grab out the lightest piece they have. It might take a little longer, but if that's what you want.

If weight is your only concern, then look at pine. I've built some killer guitars out of it.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

chuckocaster.. thanks for the response. I have seen some sugar pine bodies out there... I am looking for a lightweight resonant body to go with a really good neck that I already have. (Strat neck with nocaster profile). I would also like it to have a nitro finish rather than poly. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know who's the preferred nitro sprayer. Maybe someone else will chime in on that, hopefully.

You can get either at about the same weight. Depending on the variety of ash (where it was grown), it may default to lighter or heavier than alder. If it was me, I would make the decision based on on the tonal property I want to achieve. Then decide what weight I was willing to accept. The two woods sound worlds apart. And part of the final sound is very dependent on the fingerboard wood you mate it with. For example, a rosewood board and an ash body together can potentially get very thin and bright tonally.

Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    You can get either at about the same weight. Depending on the variety of ash (where it was grown), it may default to lighter or heavier than alder. If it was me, I would make the decision based on on the tonal property I want to achieve. Then decide what weight I was willing to accept. The two woods sound worlds apart. And part of the final sound is very dependent on the fingerboard wood you mate it with. For example, a rosewood board and an ash body together can potentially get very thin and bright tonally.
    This can be counterbalanced by pick up choice - I have an 80's MIJ (Basswood/maple neck) with "vintage style" aftermarket pick ups, a MIM 50's classic (Alder/Maple neck) with stock pick ups, & a USA Mark Knopfler Sig (Ash/Rosewood board) with stock (Texas Special) pickups - Out of the 3, the MK sig is the darkest/"thickest" sounding & the MIJ is the thinnest.
    (YMMV)

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

Forum Member

Thanks for all of the input!

I like the Texas Specials, but I've found them to be on the dark side. Good/easy way to fatten up a thin guitar.