Thread: EMG 'T' set for Tele - Long shot question

TFF Stage Crew

EMG 'T' set for Tele - Long shot question

I ordered the EMG 'T' set for one of my Teles after hearing some in a used Tele I played at a music store a few weeks ago. This question would be for anyone who has installed these recently which probably isn't a ton of people.

These are the solderless set, and as far as the pickups themselves go it was a snap because the pins on the switch are clearly marked for each pickup's lead. However the diagram contained in the package (and the only diagrams I've found at EMG's website and anywhere else in a Google search) show this set as having a plastic piece that connects the volume and tone pots together. The diagrams on the directions show how to wire that up, more or less.

The problem: My set includes these two pots unconnected by anything.

The volume pot has six pins, the tone pot has four pins, and none of them are particularly well labeled to tell me where the two jumpers connect. (Each jumper uses up two pins). There are four pins left over on the switch, and it's pretty clear which two are for the jumper that goes from the switch, but then to which two on the volume pot?

Then, from which two on the volume pot to the tone pot? (The tone pot's two remaining pins are for the lead from the output jack.

I of course emailed EMG about this as well and they haven't responded yet, but it was just earlier today that I emailed. I was just hoping to finish wiring this Tele up tomorrow if possible. As it is now I just guessed at it and I have working pickups and working pots, but the sound is highly overdriven, as if my wiring error has made it an active volume pot acting like a mid-boost circuit. Not what I want here.

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance if so!

Re: EMG 'T' set for Tele - Long shot question

If you don't get a response you'll need to trace the leads with a multimeter. Post a pic,, maybe we can help?
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Gravity Jim

I just rewired the Zencaster with the solderless stuff that came with the new X-Series pickups I dropped in a few months ago, and while I am absolutely no help with this specific problem (in the Strat wiring there's no direct connection from volume to tone: everything is wired through the five way switch... ins and outs, power cables, the lot), I can tell you that the solderless wiring gives the guitar the clearest, cleanest, most "organic" signal it has ever had. I did not expect any tonal difference, but there is one, and it's unmistakeable.

Support at EMG can be slow - there's only one guy doing it (EMG is a really small company) - but they always come through.

TFF Stage Crew

Thanks to Chuck and Jim for chiming in, and I did get a response from EMG just a few minutes ago. But this morning I delved deeper into their site and saw they actually had individual schematics/instructions for each separate component. The question was answered when I found this one:

EMG tone pot

And Jim, assuming the older, used Tele I played a few weeks ago had soldered EMGs (although I didn't check under the hood), this solderless set is absolutely pristine sounding. I'm really digging the differences between this Tele and my very traditional-sounding Baja.

(Pardon the giant image size).

Thanks again for trying to help out guys!

Glad u got it figured out, We all need a little help from time to time!

That's one sweet looking Tele ya got PC... So are those pups all that?

TFF Stage Crew

Thanks! It all depends on what you like. One of my favorite sounds on this very forum is Jim's Zencaster. For me these pickups do for a Tele's normal sound what Jim's EMG's do for his Strat-type guitar.

Which is to say this maybe: I play a Tele differently than I play my Strat, my LP copy and my semi-hollow. For various reasons the body-type that gives me the most pleasure to play is a Tele, so I really like having a trad sound in one Tele and a smoother, warmer sound in another. And since you guys know I tend to play more in the jazzy, R&B, soul genres, the EMGs in this Tele do seem to be all that for me. As always, I'll reserve judgement until I'm able to gig it, but right now I'm pretty dang thrilled.

Doesn't Vince Gill play EMGs? He seems to get an ok tone...

Gravity Jim

Thanks, pc... you oughta hear the Zcaster now. The new X-Series pickups and solderless wiring is incredible. So open and "stringy" and with so much sensitivity and depth.

TFF Stage Crew

Very cool. I look forward to everything you post so I can hear you and the Z.

100 percent serious Jim: your tone, taste and feel are inspirational and always have been.

Gravity Jim

You are way too kind, pc. There's only one truly inspirational player on this forum, and I sure am not him! But I will accept the kindness anyway. :)

Glad you're enjoying your excursion to the Dark Side of active pickups... I'm a true believer.

TFF Stage Crew

There is no doubt that he inspires me too; we are blessed to have him hanging around at TFF. But your playing is impeccable in a whole other way and no less inspirational to me since we have more than one pro heroes in common (Steely Dan, Carlton, etc.). Add that to your humbling composition, arranging and keyboard skills... and I will continue to greatly respect and admire your talent whether you want me to or not.